Fox Farm vs Pro-Mix vs Roots Organic

• Thread starter TapwaterKiller
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

wil2279

well for what it is worth, i say if you want to give natural, organic growing a try, go with the roots organinc and use subcool's super soil mixture. I know you already have a lot of hydro experience but if you go with coco, it is tecnically just another version of hydro growing. use subcools super soil mix... seriously how hard can it be... you mix up the soil and put it in the bottow of your smartpots, or whatever containers you are going to use and just add water. it doesn't get much simpler than that! good luck with whatever you decide to grow. I am sure you will have fun. and Sannie is an awesome guy to deal with. I recommend the K.O. Kush and the Chocolate Rain... or just get sannie's Indica Mix pack. keep us all posted

T

TheIronLung317

I like to use roots organic for the simple reason that it has many nutes in it already to save you some money on your more expensive nutes that you will add later. I start my plants with the roots and only feed ph'd water and some additives like hygrozyme. after about a month i start feeding my plants with my nutes and additives.

W

wil2279

You would have to amend the roots 707 any how.....Im running Pro Mix Bx after a dissapointing run wth RO 707.

you can try using the roots greenfields. it looks very similar to the fox farm ocean forest with the exception of coco... i think the greenfields has some coco in it and don't think FFOF does. and like i said, if you follow the super soil mix that subcool uses, you won't need to feed your plants anything but water...

K

K-DUB

roots org.

roots organic seems the way to go i hear nothing but great things about it

DRorganic

DRorganic

go with Pro Mix BX and if you can get the recipe for vics super soil its great. add blood and bone mill .a bag of earth worm castings. lime Epsom salt.sea weed dry .and mix wet with sea kelp and let sit to cook. then light feed with earth juice fertilizer with a sock with earth worm castings .and watch it froth like a beer from all the micro organisms do there thing .air the mix for 2 days and feed as long as you add plenty of lime you do not
need no ph,or ppm meters . you could also top dress with bat guano and sit back for some sweet organic goodies.

S

Shiplessocean

Tsp azamite per gal of soil
1/10 worm castings
Extra coarsee perlite, I add till it feels right, does not wick. About 1/3?
Promix BX
2tsp per gal of soil of grow dry based by earth juice
1tsp per gal of soil fry based by earth juice

Every three waterings I add a active catalyst, humboldt carb and structural integrity by humnpldt as well, some big up powder and amino in flowering plus Cathay and carb

K

kolah

I use happy frog and am very happy.

yep, a Happy Frog soil newbie grower here. Just add water. My plants have gone 7 weeks through the veg stage with no signs of deficiencies. (sp?). They are just starting to flower and they still look great.

It cost me 18 bucks a bag and one bag filled up three 5 gallon pots.

I recently met a lil gal from Cali who uses HP and never had to add anything but water and produced some amazing buddage.

Onespark

Onespark

Haven't tried Root Pots, but am a big fan of Smart Pots. You get great soil aeration and root pruning. I have a purple sage on my back porch right now that is the only thing still living from the summer. I partially attribute that to the Smart Pot. It was able to get rapid root and veg growth, allowing it to be better prepared for all the crappy weather we've had here in the NW.

I tried the root pots and the smart pots side by side. The root pots formed the most perfect and solid root mass I have ever seen. Plants outgrew the smart pot plants for sure. That being said, I still like the smart pots better because there are no holes for any bugs to fly into like the root pots. The smart pots are a nice balance of rapid root growth with no circling and root protection from nasties.

I like the control that pro-mix gives over feeding and drainage. Seems to allow for more rapid growth than organic soils. Easy to flush. Tupper Basement Coco is my favorite right now. If you start doing subcool type super soils the trick is getting them to fade properly with each strain. Takes some time dialing in for sure. You can't have one mix for five different plants that have different requirements at different times and expect it to work perfect for everyone. I like the finished product out of coco better than FF any day of the week. I can taste and smell FF buds right away 90% of the time. Not in a good way. If they are flushed properly they are great but it seems most have a hard time with that in FF. I used to use FF for moms but they are not so great anymore and usually come loaded with fungus gnats. Roots organics gave me root aphids. Great mixes but some nasty critters in some of those bags. If you want to do organic you have to source your own materials locally in a sustainable manner or purchase organic certified mixes. I suppose doing this would produce the finest ganja and have the highest reward. But since "chemicals" are natural and the salts in the plants are the same at the end of the day, I chose coco because of the control it provides and my mix has some organic material in it to get the plants through the first 4-5 weeks with very light feeding. two cents

K

kes5480

as u see everyone has different things 2 say so heres my 2cents..

i've used nothing but Happy Frog soil and have never had any problems with bugs or p.m. ...i believe most issues growers have is either there set up or lack of control of there grow room, or lack of or over doing something...seems like u kno what ur doing so i have faith u will do just great... good luck bro and keep us posted.....peace

B

breeder209

I have recently discovered a soil called Empire Builder my local hydro shop carries it, and I was able to get it in bulk for my outdoor grow this season. I used to mix my own soil and have used Roots and Fox Farm, but I really like the results I am getting and love the fact that I can get it in bulk. I have had no problems with gnats or any other pest like I have had in the past with other bagged soils.

O

ookiimata

Used Roots Coco soilless mix for the last grow. Very happy with it. Amended the soil with EWC, shrimp compost, and turface (I think it's much better than perlite and doubt I'll ever go back to perlite now). Chose coco to get away from peat based mixes. Used the full Roots Organic line minus the Orgenism, and I also used their Amino Aide. The company said that anyone wanting to boost their yields from the organic line should try introducing the Amino Aide and Big Swell to the grow. I was happy with the yield from the organics+Amino Aide, but I may try Big Swell in the future. Also using Hygrozyme, Dyna-Gro Protekt, Great White, and Fox Farm's Kangaroots. And I used the Roots fabric pots. Never used Smart Pots so I can't compare directly, but the Roots bags are definitely awesome.

So I used those nutes and soil/amendments to grow out a couple of Sannie's strains. Great results, especially since this was my first run with these nutes. The biggest thing I noticed about the grow was how easy it was compared to most of the grows I've done in the past. The organics are just so simple. I had no problems with bugs.

I've used many nutes and various mediums over the years. Pro-Mix is great. Fox Farms was great when I used to use it. Roots is also great. I won't necessarily say it's better, but it's great stuff that you most likely won't be disappointed with. It's affordable, easy to use, and grows dank.

T

Tbruze

i run 75% happy frog and 25% FF and my girls love it,
i also run the new x nutrient line, way better than advanced, cheaper, and simpler.
you should check it out if you haven't yet its a pretty new company.

O

ookiimata

You know, I've seen the X Nutrients at the grow shop but I don't think I've ever actually heard someone say they used them until you. Very interesting.

O

OneRedCup

Another vote for Roots Organic.

Have tried all sorts of mixes in soil. Have tried multiple hydro setups.

But I have never grown tastier buds than my current setup. Could not be easier too. Mix up Super Soil (hot nutrient mix) and let sit for 30 days to allow it to season. (Google "Super Soil 2010") Take vegging plants out of straight Roots Organic and transplant into container with 25-40% Super Soil (depending on strain) at the bottom. Fill with Roots Organic.

All I have to do is water. Could not be easier. And the quality and taste is by far the best I have done so far.

Top Bottom