FoxFarm's South Carolina processing plant..

• Thread starter Tex
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
waayne

waayne

Yeah Tex ever since Willy sold Fox Farm the quality
has really fell off.The product is now very inconsistent.
The NC plant seem's to just crank out crap!!!!
I used OF for year's but the last 18 month's the FF product has had a lot of problem's.I've been runnin Roots Organic and it is very consistent.I love Black Gold but it is also very inconsistent.
I test every bag I use and the Root's Organic is by far the most consistent!!!! :pimp:

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
Thank you all very much.. Great info.!!!

beezleb878

beezleb878

I did not know fox farms was sold. That explains much I suppose. It does not affect me as I moved to another nutrient due to PH issues and my inexperience but in all honesty some of Fox Farms crops were the smoothest I have grown.

I am not well experienced as many here though. So take from that what you will. I suppose its more nostalgic that I feel bad that Fox Farms is not what it was in the opinion of more than few.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I just found out Dr. Earth sold out to Gardener & Bloom, and now Gardener & Bloom is remaking all the Dr. Earth ferts. So I pick up a bag of their Acid Loving Plants Organic 4, and the numbers are rather different. Much less potassium than the old Dr. Earth formulation.

Roor, I think folks are agreeing that if you want consistently good soil, go with Roots Organic.

K

Kennie_B

Last go round with FFOF I had gnats coming out of the soil after the first watering, new unopened bag straight from the shop. Is it related I dont know but I am in the South.

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
Last go round with FFOF I had gnats coming out of the soil after the first watering, new unopened bag straight from the shop. Is it related I dont know but I am in the South.

Damn bro, that sux, sorry to hear! Great feedback no doubt..

Yeah, I heard great things about RootsO as well. Gonna have to try a bag. They make several different products, right? Soil and soilless sounds good. What is everyone using? What is the best container product, just their regular potting soil-soilless?

D

dican01

I just found out Dr. Earth sold out to Gardener & Bloom, and now Gardener & Bloom is remaking all the Dr. Earth ferts. So I pick up a bag of their Acid Loving Plants Organic 4, and the numbers are rather different. Much less potassium than the old Dr. Earth formulation.

Roor, I think folks are agreeing that if you want consistently good soil, go with Roots Organic.

selling the company is always a bad sign. down to earth organics is just as good if not better than dr earth imo. if you can find them, give them a try. they are out of eugene, oregon.

waayne

waayne

Tex I've used their 707,Soiless Mix,and the Root's Organic potting soil.
I liked the 707,but my favorite is using their organic potting soil as a base mix adding some dolomite lime and perlite,for a milder mix I alway's add some peat.I have used it straight from the bag but it's a little too rich for most of my strains without gettin cut with some perlite or peat!!!!
My food hog's likes it straight from the bag!!!!
Root's Organic alway's seem's to maximize sweetness and floral aroma's.My TrainwreckxOG alway's is sweeter in the Root's mix and by contrast FF Happy Frog would give the same clone's more of the fuel aroma and flavor.:rasta2:

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
selling the company is always a bad sign. down to earth organics is just as good if not better than dr earth imo. if you can find them, give them a try. they are out of eugene, oregon.
Cool tip, thanks! :sun

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
Tex I've used their 707,Soiless Mix,and the Root's Organic potting soil.
I liked the 707,but my favorite is using their organic potting soil as a base mix adding some dolomite lime and perlite,for a milder mix I alway's add some peat.I have used it straight from the bag but it's a little too rich for most of my strains without gettin cut with some perlite or peat!!!!
My food hog's likes it straight from the bag!!!!
Root's Organic alway's seem's to maximize sweetness and floral aroma's.My TrainwreckxOG alway's is sweeter in the Root's mix and by contrast FF Happy Frog would give the same clone's more of the fuel aroma and flavor.:rasta2:

Niceeeee! Thank you bro, great information and knowledge base. Thank ya for your time and posting that for me.. Good to know..! :hi: Gonna go out and pick some up now..

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to waayne again.

waayne

waayne

You're welcome bro!!!
I can't wait to see you work your magic with some Root's and your
beautiful Bubba :rock
:rasta2:

B

BigCountry

Yeah Tex ever since Willy sold Fox Farm the quality
has really fell off.The product is now very inconsistent.
The NC plant seem's to just crank out crap!!!!
Call them up, Foxfarm has not been sold
I think that 1:1 Ocean Forest to Light Warrior is one of the best and easiest mixes out there. It got famous in High Times a few years ago, which doesn't say much, but I've used it for years.
Lightening up any soil like Ocean Forest with Perlite or Light Warrior will help drainage and plant success.

And, any unsterilized potting soil can have fungus gnats in it. I did a side by side of Amazon Bloom, Black Gold, Ocean Forest, and Roots Greenfields (Copy of Ocean Forest) and when I emptied the bag of Greenfields into the bed, gnats flew into my face. Kind of speaks for itself. Stick with Foxfarm...

waayne

waayne

Call them up, Foxfarm has not been sold
I think that 1:1 Ocean Forest to Light Warrior is one of the best and easiest mixes out there. It got famous in High Times a few years ago, which doesn't say much, but I've used it for years.
Lightening up any soil like Ocean Forest with Perlite or Light Warrior will help drainage and plant success.

And, any unsterilized potting soil can have fungus gnats in it. I did a side by side of Amazon Bloom, Black Gold, Ocean Forest, and Roots Greenfields (Copy of Ocean Forest) and when I emptied the bag of Greenfields into the bed, gnats flew into my face. Kind of speaks for itself. Stick with Foxfarm...

Sorry dude you're misinformed.....
Willy sold the company some time ago....
They've been putting out inconsistent soil product for some time...
might be better now but it was terrible in 2009-2010
I was going thru 250-300 bag's a year and had been using the Ocean Forest for year's......

Misterdirt

Misterdirt

I've used some FFOF recently, purchase in October and November, and it was OK. It wasn't "chunky style," by any means. It must be from the east coast plant.

I mix it with a locally available organic potting material, and only used it straight on one strain this grow.

That being said, I think it's grossly over-priced.

ShivaSkunkPunk

ShivaSkunkPunk

Yeah its a fact, at least in my experience, water'd fresh soil and w/n a few hours I saw fungus gnat larvae, gonna switch up to roots organic after this is all used up, I hate spending the doe for the soil, and then have to buy additional nematodes to handle all the soil dwelling creatures that arise, Peace SSP

Onespark

Onespark

I got root aphids from Roots organics soil. I used a number of bags with no problems for a while. After repotting into Roots Organics the last time I used it I had a root Aphid infestation from hell within the first week. I did not know what a root aphid was so it nearly killed everything by the time I figured it out. I finally found out that the grow store had stored the pallet of soil outside in the summer heat for a day or three because they were backed up getting things into the warehouse. It did not take long for the aphids to make a home in there. RO seemed to be a great product and the plants exploded before the aphid batch. I will never know if it was caused by the grow store or if the pallet was bad before they took it in. My two cents- I would be very careful who you buy it from and make sure they have it stored in a clean indoor place at all times. I smell and look at all the soil now. My bad batch had a swampy smell to it but I didn't think much of it at the time. I have heard from a number of grow store people that FF can become infested if it is stored improperly. I got fungus gnats from Fox farm two years ago and never used it again. Those bugs love all the nutrients in the soil mixes and will take full advantage if given a chance.:worried

420king-MASSES

Hey fellas, I was at the grow shop earlier and a friend of a friend who works there advised me to not get the FFOF. The grow shop said they have been getting a lot of people whose plants have been dying, pests/root aphids, fungus, pieces of roots that were not broken down, large chunks of crap, etc. etc. in the soil. This is not just from indoor operations, but from legit grow clubs and legit growers.

Someone contacted FF and they supposedly did confirm that due to demand they had to open a new facility in S.C...Supposedly, there were some manufacturing errors and they have fixed them. Hmmm.?

Also, the S.C. plant is using pine bark fines instead of redwood, which is what the west coast processing plant uses? I believe that is what he said..? We all know most plants use local products to amend the basic recipe, but pine fines, really FoxFarm? Quality gone down.. Tisk Tisk!!! :mad0229:

So has anyone had any issues lately or the last few months with FFOF, especially East Coast and Mid-West growers? Is this true or is this cat blowing smoke, why would he be lying tho? Hmmm. :thinking Or am I just a day late and a dollar short on this and everyone else already knows? Hahaha.. Help a brotha out.. :cool0019:

yes yes yes yes it all makes sense now i actually thought it was my promix and not the ffof and ontop of that the last 4-5 months ffof medium has given me a more rapidly yellowing of leafs on main stock and it kinda jives with the root aphid thread whats happening to me and your thread makes it trilateral something worth looking into thanks tex:bongsmi:

Latest posts

Top Bottom