Foxtail from stress or genetics?

• Thread starter Fatasstrex
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fatasstrex

Fatasstrex

Hey guys. Wondering if anyone has input on whether the foxtailing on this plant is due to genetics or due to some sort of stress. I read that purple strains sometimes foxtail due to their genes. Does anyone know how to tell if the foxtailing is happing for a negative reason? Below are some pictures of the plant. It's about 16 inches away from an LED 135 true-watt light. It hasn't shown any signs of light stress to my knowledge. It isn't hot at all in the grow space.

Thanks!

Foxtail from stress or genetics
Foxtail from stress or genetics 2
Foxtail from stress or genetics 3
Foxtail from stress or genetics 4
Foxtail from stress or genetics 5
Foxtail from stress or genetics 6
Ina

Ina

Beautifull!I don't see much foxtailing here but when i had that i think it was from too much N feeding in veg and bloom......Yours also look a little dark like a little N overfed but very nice!What strain is that?

Fatasstrex

Fatasstrex

Beautifull!I don't see much foxtailing here but when i had that i think it was from too much N feeding in veg and bloom......Yours also look a little dark like a little N overfed but very nice!What strain is that?

Yeah they definitely have N toxicity. Have been trying to get rid of it for a while now but they just dont seem to bounce back. I guess I'll have to stop using molasses and Fox Farms Tiger Bloom for the time being. As for the strain, I dont know for certain but i was told it was purple urkle. They are bag seeds

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ime foxtailing throughout the plants would lead me to think genetics. Foxtailing on top buds close to the light only would be light stress. Not uncommon if the genetics are prone to see some lower and more pronounced on buds closer to the light.

I don't see it as a major concern if the buds aren't bleeching or burning but not ideal either.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah they definitely have N toxicity. Have been trying to get rid of it for a while now but they just dont seem to bounce back. I guess I'll have to stop using molasses and Fox Farms Tiger Bloom for the time being. As for the strain, I dont know for certain but i was told it was purple urkle. They are bag seeds
You can't get rid of N tox once that nitrogen is in the plants it's there to stay. You can correct the issue of over feeding much earlier in the grow but it's to late at this stage to make a difference. All you can do now is not make it worse

Fatasstrex

Fatasstrex

You can't get rid of N tox once that nitrogen is in the plants it's there to stay. You can correct the issue of over feeding much earlier in the grow but it's to late at this stage to make a difference. All you can do now is not make it worse
Should i never feed with molasses or tiger bloom again? I believe molasses NPK ratio is 1-0-5 and FF tiger bloom is 2-8-4

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Should i never feed with molasses or tiger bloom again? I believe molasses NPK ratio is 1-0-5 and FF tiger bloom is 2-8-4

Molasses is not chelated and is not taken up by the plant nor the nutrients in it. It would have to break down over time. The sugars are used to feed micro biology in the medium but this is also mostly based on myth.

And 2-8-4 is proven to not be needed by cannabis in modern tissue tests.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm a hydro grower but...
The question is why are you using molasses? I would not use it personally.

Also not a fan of high phosphorus nutrients.

Imo a single balanced dry fert is the best way to go. Nutrient additives in most cases do more harm than good unless you truely understand how they interact with your base ferts and how the impact nutrient ratios.

Now that's not to say there are not a lot of good ferts out there that aren't liquid. I know some phenomenal growers using botanicare pbp grow only. The key is keeping a balanced nutrient ratio throughout the grow and adjusting the concentration based on the plants reaction to nitrogen content. Cannabis also does well in a wide variety of ratios but once you start adding additives individually things can go south fast if you don't understand the interactions. Marketing in cannabis is about a honest as Henry Lee Lucas's confessions.

Fatasstrex

Fatasstrex

Molasses is not chelated and is not taken up by the plant nor the nutrients in it. It would have to break down over time. The sugars are used to feed micro biology in the medium but this is also mostly based on myth.

And 2-8-4 is proven to not be needed by cannabis in modern tissue tests.
okay so the molasses is worthless? Can i keep using it just in case without risking more N toxicity?

And the 2-8-4 I shouldnt use at all?

Sorry for all the questions. This is my first grow and I really have no idea what I'm doing. Have never grown any sort of plant before lol

SmokerBwah

SmokerBwah

Wow the real purple urkle. Thats greeeaat man. That’s where querkle got the urcle from. Great flavor

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

okay so the molasses is worthless? Can i keep using it just in case without risking more N toxicity?

And the 2-8-4 I shouldnt use at all?

Sorry for all the questions. This is my first grow and I really have no idea what I'm doing. Have never grown any sort of plant before lol

I would just taper down what you are doing. When i see the leaves too green i give water to runoff. Check my ppms and give a lesser strength feed of a balanced complete base nute. And keep tapering down to the finish.

You have done an excellent job! Buds look great!

Fatasstrex

Fatasstrex

I would just taper down what you are doing. When i see the leaves too green i give water to runoff. Check my ppms and give a lesser strength feed of a balanced complete base nute. And keep tapering down to the finish.

You have done an excellent job! Buds look great!
Im thinking of flushing next time i water with spring water, squeezed lemon juice (i use this regularly to lower pH), 1 tsp/gallon epsom salt, and just a bit of hydrogen peroxide to increase oxygen levels in the water. Is this a good idea?

Fatasstrex

Fatasstrex

Update, everyone: this morning I cut off the lowest bud on one of the secondary/lower branches. I then used a plate on top of a pot of boiling water to quick-dry it. Just smoked it. Was around .5 grams worth. I'm pretty medicated considering I have such a high tolerance (smoke around 5 Gs a day). Wasn't dense at all, but I'm hoping that the plant will get denser as it ripens over the next couple weeks. The picture below is about halfway through the drying process.

IMG 1800
Top Bottom