Foxtailing at day 28 bloom ? Opinions ?

• Thread starter Veteran
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Veteran

Veteran

To my blind ass it doesn't look like foxtailing but more like reveg... could be wrong.... won't be the first time nor the last.
Is this possible because i fed them with too much N in the grow formula the first 3 weeks bloom? Or maybe heat?

growsince79

growsince79

Is this possible because i fed them with too much N in the grow formula the first 3 weeks bloom? Or maybe heat?
I would check your thermometers. You say leaf temp is 2-3C lower than ambient using 1000w hps. That doesn't sound right. 28-30c is too hot and the leaf temps are surely higher.

Veteran

Veteran

Is it the famous Core Cut?

Crosses of Amnesia that I've grown seem to have a predisposition to foxtail.
Well it was suposed to, but it seems its not the real deal because the ones i grew in the past were not that sensitive and almost impossible to go wrong with. Foxtailing in the end is normal but revegging from heat or N thats not the strain i was used to. Good genetics is key.

FOE20

FOE20

Maestro Loco
Supporter
I gave a grow formula , so the N was higher than P and K but there wase P K in it . What i meant was i didnt give the extra P K yet. And started bloom formula of Canna coco after 3 weeks into flower.
Wait.....so it was 2wks into flower and you fed?.....then at 3wks into flower you gave it Canna coco formula?....The Grow formula may be the cause of the reaction its giving....
N spike and possible pH issue....whats the formulas of the Grow and Coco bloom?....Not sure what to suggest cause Im not familar with the formulas for those products...
For myself I pref a lower pH range for pre bloom around 5.8-6.0 which keeps N easily avail...As the plant budsets then pH can flux up a bit and make the PK more avail...
But tis is more then just tips and I dont want to get to complicated and misguide you...but hope its something to think on...power to it
FOE20

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just to clarify.... did you change to a high N ratio in flower or continue the veg/transition ratio?

Also can you take a pic further back of the whole plant(s)

Are they all affected? Random? Strain? Grouping in an area etc?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

To much N in flower can, usually it's light related but yes too much N, too much light and as almost always genetics can also be partly responsible..... or combination there of

Veteran

Veteran

Just to clarify.... did you change to a high N ratio in flower or continue the veg/transition ratio?

I continued the grow nutes that i used in veg stage for 3 weeks into bloom.

They are all affected , the upper buds you see the most damage.

94A68148 B93A 4E28 A93F C64312F82371
1FCC24A9 96C7 4E49 88EA A4FF98BB43F1
F07E0F51 E701 49C5 A6B5 E7512BF8D0C3
F380985B 2197 403A A588 4AE29E283B74
D4B514E6 B06E 419C B1E9 3B8580F8FF8C
6709AA60 61AD 48D2 BDD9 635E535F19B2
EF04E57F DACD 4A07 AEAA C959BFEE3910
869685DA 71B2 41F9 BB1F ACDC193C2B07
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Are youbusing a co2 burner?

Also on my phone and my eyes are terrible. Do you see any 3 bladed fan leaves mid plant or higher?

Veteran

Veteran

Also on my phone and my eyes are terrible. Do you see any 3 bladed fan leaves mid plant or higher?
I use a tank no gas burner. My co2 controller has no fuzzy logic i have to upgrade to a fuzzy logic it swings too much now.

No 3 finger fan leaves.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I use a tank no gas burner. My co2 controller has no fuzzy logic i have to upgrade to a fuzzy logic it swings too much now.

No 3 finger fan leaves.
Ok maybe not reveg then. Just watch for that.... they look like they almost stretching again so to me really looks that they are but usually you see 3 oe single blades popping.

Slow the flow on your gas... big swings are usually caused by the sensor not reading the ppm accurately in time to shut off the gas because the air mixing time and sensor placement

By the time it reads it and the air mixes it's already over shot the setpoint. So lowering the flow rate allows more accuracy.

You don't need gas flow to be high. The plants aren't going to use it faster than it's supplied unless it's an extremely low flow rate.

You will be surprised at how accurately it will work when the flow rate is very low.

Veteran

Veteran

Ok maybe not reveg then. Just watch for that.... they look like they almost stretching again so to me really looks that they are but usually you see 3 oe single blades popping.

Slow the flow on your gas... big swings are usually caused by the sensor not reading the ppm accurately in time to shut off the gas because the air mixing time and sensor placement

By the time it reads it and the air mixes it's already over shot the setpoint. So lowering the flow rate allows more accuracy.

You don't need gas flow to be high. The plants aren't going to use it faster than it's supplied unless it's an extremely low flow rate.

You will be surprised at how accurately it will work when the flow rate is very low.
I will keep an eye on it . And to be sure i will flush the N out . At end of bloom i will update how it all went. I want thank everybody for their advice 👊 Flower Power.

FOE20

FOE20

Maestro Loco
Supporter
What variety is this?...Sativas and mainly Super Sativas can have adverse reactions to nutrients....Somethings not adding up tho....Honestly to me it looks like a N-P spike....and your K should exceed both...
If you try to finish these Id suggest a low dose 1-5-6 atm...or maybe a very low dose 0-6-6 type formula...My issue is why are they flowering so weird...heh....formulas of the nutes would help diagnose...gl
FOE20

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

What variety is this?...Sativas and mainly Super Sativas can have adverse reactions to nutrients....Somethings not adding up tho....Honestly to me it looks like a N-P spike....and your K should exceed both...
If you try to finish these Id suggest a low dose 1-5-6 atm...or maybe a very low dose 0-6-6 type formula...My issue is why are they flowering so weird...heh....formulas of the nutes would help diagnose...gl
FOE20
Sounds like a good idea ^^^^

I usually toss something like that a week or so before flip... thoughts? If I can pick your brain for sec?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Are you asking me?.....If so Im not sure I understand what your asking....do you mean you flip Sativas early?....but yea Im here to talk Pot shop....
FOE20
The ratio of NPK you suggested. I toss roughly that at the plants shortly before flip and then a bit more balanced after that until after stretch. I was curious of your opinion or experience on that since you had brought it up. Not something I have toyed with much and always found a more balanced ratio to carry me through stretch a bit better. But I did find that P boost shortly before flip to really eliminate any P issues sometimes seen after stretch.

Tbh I think P is undercooked in veg and overated past mid flower.

Just figured I'd try and pick that brain a bit while you were on the subject

FOE20

FOE20

Maestro Loco
Supporter
The ratio of NPK you suggested. I toss roughly that at the plants shortly before flip and then a bit more balanced after that until after stretch. I was curious of your opinion or experience on that since you had brought it up. Not something I have toyed with much and always found a more balanced ratio to carry me through stretch a bit better. But I did find that P boost shortly before flip to really eliminate any P issues sometimes seen after stretch.

Tbh I think P is undercooked in veg and overated past mid flower.

Just figured I'd try and pick that brain a bit while you were on the subject
I use the Grow formula 3-2-4 or If I build my own a 3-1-5 all thru veg(@aprox 300-1000ppm pending variety cause Indicas will eat 2-3x as much as Sativas...my pH range in veg is pH5.8-6.2 ) and into wks 1-3 of Bloom, but I do use a BudSet pre flower booster in Open Sesame(5-45-19 or in micro dose look at it as a .5-4-2 )
After flip they still get the same Grow base and at 1 wk in the Indicas get another micro dose of OSesame...and at 2wks in the Sativas get a 2nd dose...
Now at this point theres 2 major differences as we hit Budset and into full bloom....
1 - is in wk 3 a Indica will be in Full Bloom and I switch to a 1-5-6 Bloom formula for the next 2-3wks...Cause Indicas will demand a bit of N longer into Bloom cause they need it...Then at wk 4-5 I switch to a 0-6-6 to finish and ripen now at 7wks and flush for a wk pull at aprox 8wks.....
2 - is in wk3 a Sativa will only need 1wk of the 1-5-6 formula cause it will retain the N much longer and use it much slower....So at wk4 I switch to the 0-6-6 which a Sativa will feed on for 3-4wks or more pending type...A Sativa also flowers and matures slower so it will only start to Ripen at 7-8wks and finish at 10-12wks....
Theres only a slight change in when to apply the formulas based on the variety...And this is always dictated by the Varieties....
Mixed lines are between those #'s but the key to it all is.....Knowing the Varieties that are being run....
Based on that info you would have a idea of whether to expect a Indica or Sativa or Mixed and just follow the Plants form from there....
Hope theres something useful in that...But that covers my approach in a big way....power to it
FOE20

Last edited:
FOE20

FOE20

Maestro Loco
Supporter
@detroitjoe
a reveg would not be flowering.....there would be Less pistils and more Shoots n ladders.,,...Whats happening imo is a Growth spurt in Bloom with to Balanced of a formula for the Variety at that stage...
It stuck between growing and flowering...Its sorta confused in a way...
But I can show you pics of actual reveg...which doesnt look like what hes showing....Least not how Im seeing this....power to it
FOE20

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I use the Grow formula 3-2-4 or If I build my own a 3-1-5 all thru veg(@aprox 300-1000ppm pending variety cause Indicas will eat 2-3x as much as Sativas...my pH range in veg is pH5.8-6.2 ) and into wks 1-3 of Bloom, but I do use a BudSet pre flower booster in Open Sesame(5-45-19 or in micro dose look at it as a .5-4-2 )
After flip they still get the same Grow base and at 1 wk in the Indicas get another micro dose of OSesame...and at 2wks in the Sativas get a 2nd dose...
Now at this point theres 2 major differences as we hit Budset and into full bloom....
1 - is in wk 3 a Indica will be in Full Bloom and I switch to a 1-5-6 Bloom formula for the next 2-3wks...Cause Indicas will demand a bit of N longer into Bloom cause they need it...Then at wk 4-5 I switch to a 0-6-6 to finish and ripen now at 7wks and flush for a wk pull at aprox 8wks.....
2 - is in wk3 a Sativa will only need 1wk of the 1-5-6 formula cause it will retain the N much longer and use it much slower....So at wk4 I switch to the 0-6-6 which a Sativa will feed on for 3-4wks or more pending type...A Sativa also flowers and matures slower so it will only start to Ripen at 7-8wks and finish at 10-12wks....
Theres only a slight change in when to apply the formulas based on the variety...And this is always dictated by the Varieties....
Mixed lines are between those #'s but the key to it all is.....Knowing the Varieties that are being run....
Based on that info you would have a idea of whether to expect a Indica or Sativa or Mixed and just follow the Plants form from there....
Hope theres something useful in that...But that covers my approach in a big way....power to it
FOE20
Thanks for taking the time to detail that. Yeah definitely useful and appreciate it. I mostly run indica leaners as I'm pretty height limited indoors here.

Always nice to exchange other growers perspectives, opinions and knowledge especially very accomplished ones.

Top Bottom