Freezing fresh wet trim for kief?

• Thread starter SmokeBigBuds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SmokeBigBuds

SmokeBigBuds

I can't really find any information about this online so I thought I'd ask here.

I wet trim my autos and usually throw out the trim as I don't have space to dry the trimmings as well as the buds. If I was to freeze my fresh trim, could I then put it in a kief sifting box to shake around to collect kief? I've seen those Bubble Bags but that seems too much of a process for me.

I'm not looking to extract every last bit of goodness from my trim, as any excess product will be a bonus as its usually thrown away.

Thanks.

GuySmiley

GuySmiley

I froze my trimmings before I processed them. I used bubble hash.bags instead of dry sifting.

FarmerGreene

FarmerGreene

I freeze mine fresh and dry it when I have time and space. Then into the bubble bag with a little dry ice. Good luck!!

JerzeyMike

JerzeyMike

I will usually let the trim dry out for a day or so before freezing. Then i will dry sift. Ive tried fresh frozen trim and it did not go well. Another option is to decarb it and make a tincture.

S

Squirlyshirl

Would it be bad to vacuum seal fresh trim once it was frozen already in ziplock bags I’m afraid we just crushed everything and it won’t be good for hash now anyone got any thoughts on this ?

indogrow420

indogrow420

I usually dry before freezing if I dont use it right away for bubble hash.. because sifting fresh gets too sticky and gunks the screens. and you should be fine vacuum sealing them

S

Squirlyshirl

I usually dry before freezing if I dont use it right away for bubble hash.. because sifting fresh gets too sticky and gunks the screens. and you should be fine vacuum sealing them
Thanks I’m just afraid after the fact that we may have broke and popped the hair and will lose all the oil they hold

indogrow420

indogrow420

@Squirlyshirl im not a pro but ima try to help lol . I dont think it will loose much potency, maybe terpenes.

google says deep frozen loose 4% thc a year ..

I dont know how true that is but I used to buy dry weed that was kept in a freezer for a long time, and no matter what I did with it / rosin / hash , it always turned out sticky and gooey. even thawed frozen bud itself gets super sticky . I read online that freezing for a while will rupture the thc glands and that they will " burst " thus probably reducing its potency / terpenes

Here's some info from that other article about freezing meds I found:

The article says that bud should not be frozen, but hash can be. Bud contains water in the plant cells and the resin glands. When you freeze it, the expanding ice crystals cause these to burst. On defrosting, the contents (ie: THC) are open to the air and much more readily oxidised (and hence degraded) than when locked up in the cells and glands. So you can expect the quality of your bud to rapidly deteriorate.
so i think if you were to freeze the fresh trim for a long time , drying before doing so to sift later might be better?

Last edited:
S

Squirlyshirl

@Squirlyshirl im not a pro but ima try to help lol . I dont think it will loose much potency, maybe terpenes.

google says deep frozen loose 4% thc a year ..

I dont know how true that is but I used to buy dry weed that was kept in a freezer for a long time, and no matter what I did with it / rosin / hash , it always turned out sticky and gooey. even thawed frozen bud itself gets super sticky . I read online that freezing for a while will rupture the thc glands and that they will " burst " thus probably reducing its potency / terpenes

Here's some info from that other article about freezing meds I found:

The article says that bud should not be frozen, but hash can be. Bud contains water in the plant cells and the resin glands. When you freeze it, the expanding ice crystals cause these to burst. On defrosting, the contents (ie: THC) are open to the air and much more readily oxidised (and hence degraded) than when locked up in the cells and glands. So you can expect the quality of your bud to rapidly deteriorate.
so i think if you were to freeze the fresh trim for a long time , drying before doing so to sift later might be better?
Thank you for looking for info, my son says the parts next to the bag were damaged but the inside looks good yet won’t be frozen long

indogrow420

indogrow420

@Squirlyshirl I can't exactly tell you how many days it would take for them to dry. But that depends on your drying area temperature and humidity. I let mine dry until they feel dry but not too dry so they dont crumble/break.
I would lay them on a window screen or those hanging screens for bud drying and check every day until you feel like they are dry enough.
Make sure they are properly sealed before placing them in the freezer as condensation could form and make them kind of damp so sifting them wont work too well on both sides..

now again, I only recommended drying the trim before freezing it, so you could logically freeze them for longer periods of time with less degradation/glands rupturing/degradation/ based on research.
If you are not going to freeze them for long, leave them be and dry them when the time comes before sifting.

If I were you I would get bubble hash bags and run all of it for bubble. this way you end up with a way more pure/potent end product with less plant matter/contaminants. goodluck!

Last edited:
Top Bottom