Frisian Dew & Biddy Early - UK

• Thread starter Cannaculture
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cannaculture

Cannaculture

Glad to see ya back, bro! Hope you had a good time on holiday. Your plants are looking great man! Glad the weather is cooperating. Keep up the great work! - Max

Thank you Max! The holiday was much needed thanks. Along with being able to sample my first harvest I got my first tattoo and didn't have to climb of lug any trees about (i'm an arbourist by day).

Appreciate the love for my outdoors girls. I never appreciated just how big they were until other people would see them and almost be in wonder. I think they would drop down dead if they saw some of those monsters they grow in that Cali sun.

Any way, I must go check out the Pad! I must see how them cookies be doin'!!

Cannaculture

Cannaculture

Sorry for the lack of updates. Had a mad month but am now back on track.

All my girls are now down. From the initial visuals, i'm pleased! One of my Frisians went purple and when I say purple I mean deep, dark purple.

I want to do a proper update with pictures only from some reason i'm having problems uploading the pictures properly so they sit within the body of the text so I'll come back later and give you all a pre-smoke report.

Max Frost

Max Frost

Sorry for the lack of updates. Had a mad month but am now back on track.

All my girls are now down. From the initial visuals, i'm pleased! One of my Frisians went purple and when I say purple I mean deep, dark purple.

I want to do a proper update with pictures only from some reason i'm having problems uploading the pictures properly so they sit within the body of the text so I'll come back later and give you all a pre-smoke report.

Glad to have you back! Looking forward to your pics and report bro! Can't wait to see that purple gal. Hope it smokes up to all your hopes!

Max

Welshwizzard

Welshwizzard

Either way pal. fantgastic job making the most of out shitty weather. We did have a nice stretch of super warm weeks whihc will have helped no end compared with what we usually get, and spring / autumn were both late this year.

I had issues outdoor although I was doing it out on the moors so what did I expect. You have some fantastico trees on the go man, did you do any updates once they came down?

Great work pal, great work.

S

Sscales

Welshwizzard what strains did you do and what problems did you come across? I'm planning on doing early skunk, biddy early, passion no1, Frisian dew and pandora but that's an auto.

Welshwizzard

Welshwizzard

Welshwizzard what strains did you do and what problems did you come across? I'm planning on doing early skunk, biddy early, passion no1, Frisian dew and pandora but that's an auto.

We did NL haze crosses, Early misty, and a couple of unknowns.

Had issues with mould, it got to around end of sept and it was almost rotting, maybe I could have prunes a but to stop it before it did but all ifs and buts.

Also had a few bugs, but figured they are outdoors so will have a natural repellent built in.

Good luck man, much prefer indoors as everyone knows, you cant control the weather pal!

S

Sscales

I had to move all my indoor outside this year and had 2 different sites both growing super cheese and big bud. Had severe mould problems only on 1 site which was devastating, the other one was ok but had to chop early due to the weather.

Can't wait till next year to get a blog going and see what it turns out like as unfortunately I'm unable to carry on indoors!

Welshwizzard

Welshwizzard

It's our unreliable shitty weather man. Guaranteed to be warmish and wet all summer. Good luck on the one next year man. Indoors is a pain but you know what you're getting at the end to an extent

Cannaculture

Cannaculture

Hi,

Sorry for the lengthy delay in getting this out only I was having problems with pictures. The problem now seems to be resolved so here, after a bit of a cure and smoke, I can give a better report on the final offerings.

So, I had 1 Frisian Dew planted directly into the ground along with two Biddy Early along with a further 2 Frisian Dews only these were potted, albeit in rather large tubs.

In brief, as may be expected, the ones in the ground performed much better. Admittedly I prepared the bed prior to planting with fish and bone meal along with bat guano all mixed into some pretty cheap compost so this may have helped along the way with overall performnace.

Frisian in the gournd

This plant was a monster. It would easily have gone to 8ft plus had I let it but owing to its location I had to keep it inconspicuous and so pruned it late in veg back down to around just over 6ft. Come crop time, this baby yeilded 12 1/2 ozs, alone! Here are some bloom shots not too long before the chop -

IMG 2327 IMG 20130929 151427 edit

This plant was literally awash with buds like this that were nice and sticky without being stinky. They still had a lovely smell to them but didn't reek the entire garden out.

The smoke on them at this stage is more of a heady one i'd say. Tends to make me on the sleepier side of stoned without locking you into that couch as they like to say.

Biddys in the ground

Had some high hopes for these girls. They grew with a nice structure and had the most beautiful skunky aroma during their growth stage. However, they were later into flower than the Frisians and, despite an awesome, probabbly never to be repeated, summer, they didn't really finish as well as they may have liked.

Being that bit later into flower they needed longer outdoors and as a result started to get mould despite a distinct lack of rain. Just the simple fact of more mist and morning dew along wit23332h a naturally more humid environment once the more intense summer sun had gone proved too much for these to resist. Gutted really as they are meant to me mould resistant, as are the Frisians, but these just didn't seem as hardy.

That said, they threw out some sick colours. I'd grow them again just to look at ;) Here's how they looked one night -

20131003 215053 20131003 215127

The purple one in the foreground in one plant and the greener one at the back is another. Colour aside, as I have said, they weren't up to much. The buds didn't put on the weight and density of my other strain and so in the end we decided if wasn't worth the hassle of trimming it all and so made one big ball o' hash!

I did keep maybe a half oz back to cure and smoke but as of yet i've not even tried it. Something i'm gonna leave until christmas I think before even testing.

Frisian in the pot 1

Now, this one shocked us a bit. We were expecting some purpling from her, all the pictures we'd seen prior to the grow showed nice light purple as in the pics above, but this girl went PURPLE!

Again, aside from coulour, she didn't do too much else to impress, only yielding about 2 1/2 oz from the entire plant.

It's purpling, i'm reliabley (or maybe not) informed, comes from the father's genetics. Apparently around one in ten are a throw back and go entirely purps.

IMG 20130929 151602edit

This one I have sampled and, I must say, I like, a lot! It's a much more uplifting buzz, which, considering it's the same strain as the one I described two above, surprised me a little. Despite colour I was expecting a similar sensation from it but evidently not.

I'm putting this one into long cure as I have high hopes for it in the new year and beyond besides which I find it too pretty to burn ;)

Frisian in the pot 2

This was the runt of the litter. It didn't purple at all and stayed for the entirety of the grow a more pale shade of green than the rest. Again, it yielded little, a touch under our purple girl, and so, again, we decided against the chore of trimming and put it to hash.

We got a nice ball out of it and so were happy. This is the first hash we've made were it actually stinks of skunk as opposed to that usual hashy smell.

So .... in conclusion, from my experience, the Frisian is that keeper strain. It coped all around a lot better in our environment and, when grown in the ground, can be a really high yielder. Its smokes and tastes nice and has a most pleasant effect on the body.

My girlfriend uses it for pain, whereas i'm a pleasure user, and we're both satisfied.

One question I do have - my big Frisian, whilst all female, threw up a few seeds in amongst the buds. Does anyone know if these are likely usable, and if so will they be female as they were grown from female seeds?

Any input on this is much appreciated!

Any questions you have please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer. I'm not an expert, but any info I do have i'm more than willing to share.

Thanks for looking!

Top Bottom