Frozen Line Set

• Thread starter GeneticFreak
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GeneticFreak

Hey Farmers I have a question hopefully some of you may have come across. My 5 ton's line set is freezing up when the outside temps dip below 40. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I can't run it during the day and I'm running inside temps at 80 just to warm the lines inside. Oh yeah and I'm running a sealed room. Thanks in advance!

A

agent dank

When was laat time you serviced it?

Low refrigerant? Dirty filters and evap coil?

Id first check the easy fix, are the lines insulated to prevent condensation freezing? Is the evap,coil or filters dirty.

If not chances are you have low refrigerant either from a leak or just aging.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hey Farmers I have a question hopefully some of you may have come across. My 5 ton's line set is freezing up when the outside temps dip below 40. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I can't run it during the day and I'm running inside temps at 80 just to warm the lines inside. Oh yeah and I'm running a sealed room. Thanks in advance!

Need fan cycling switch or controller. Outside air is too cold to maintain proper discharge pressure. This is most likely cause since it happens in cold weather. Have a HVAC tech install a pressure switch to start and stop,outdoor fan to maintain proper pressure.

AvidLerner

AvidLerner

Wrap the line with a wire wrap warming tape has electrical 120v outlet required

hiboy

hiboy

Our line set was freezing up also it was due to a dirty filter so we put a new filter on it and it works like a charm

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Listen to canibus john he knows his shit! I've got the same problem with my package unit. Kicking my self in the ass. for got to install low ambiant kit in my 4 ton unit. It used to never get this cold in west Oregun. God damn global warming.

high420days

high420days

Supporter
Our line set was freezing up also it was due to a dirty filter so we put a new filter on it and it works like a charm

I agree here. I was having repetitive issues with my lines freezing. First time it happened, it was the filter. So check this first. Look inside the unit and ensure there isn't ice caked inside of there. The second time it happened was when it was insanely cold outside (<10°F) and it turned out to be a setting on the low ambient controller. Good luck.

hiboy

hiboy

Our room was getting hot again so my homie found the 3 ton unit was not on So he opened up the compartment on the FAU and the coil's were frozen over so he cleaned them off and let them dry out and everything is working correctly now
Second time this happened in a month
Hb

R

richdash

I have had quite a bit of experience in this area, Typically it is for one of a couple reasons which have sort of been covered here. The lines will freeze if not enough airflow can go over the coils. It can be a dirty or clogged air filter or even more common for growers is not using a filter and the unit is covered in crud inside! This requires a much more intensive cleaning and job.

Another really common issue with larger units such as a 4-5+ton unit would be that you could possibly not have enough ducting going out. I did this once and it caused lots of condensation and freezing. We added two 8" lines to our rooms and it solved the problem. Hvving a good HVAC guy available to help in these areas is essential in my book for any serious grower.

high420days

high420days

Supporter
Our room was getting hot again so my homie found the 3 ton unit was not on So he opened up the compartment on the FAU and the coil's were frozen over so he cleaned them off and let them dry out and everything is working correctly now
Second time this happened in a month
Hb

Make sure you stay on top of filter changes like I mentioned. I change filters every 8-10 weeks. Air flow over the coils is essential to AC operation. If it happens again, set thermostat to fan only and let it totally defrost before switching back to cool.

hiboy

hiboy

Make sure you stay on top of filter changes like I mentioned. I change filters every 8-10 weeks. Air flow over the coils is essential to AC operation. If it happens again, set thermostat to fan only and let it totally defrost before switching back to cool.
I think it's always necessary to change the filters every run which is pretty much your exact timeframe good job

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

All of your replies miss one key point. It happens when it is cold outside. Most units are not designed to provide 100% cooling when outside air temps drop below 50F. The refrigerant pressures are out of whack. The low pressure gets too low and starts building frost which reduces air flow which cause more frost and eventually ice. It's a domino effect. You must install a high pressure control device of some kind. I prefer a pressure switch which cycles the outdoor fan. I'm not saying it CAN'T be something else but most of the other problems (dirty air filter, low air flow) would cause it to ice all the time not just during cold weather. Keep in mind that normal running pressures and temps in a/c system have the indoor coil near freezing normally. Usually runs around 36-40F. So it doesn't take much to be wrong before you start frosting and eventually icing. Fixed many units with a low ambient control of some type. Pressure switch is most problem free if set up properly and installer doesn't leave a small leak where he connects pressure switch.

Last edited:
thunderfudge

thunderfudge

Breeder
depending on the brand it could be the ambient setting,too short of line sets ie;overcharge,a leak,filters,clogged lines(if Slag not cleaned from hard pipe)

AvidLerner

AvidLerner

So the compressor can fail quicker. Bad idea. Just tries to cover up the true problem.
If the weather is below 32 degress that is what we do in our part of the world. Lines freeze for a variety of reasons. I used to live in Vegas and we would do hot shots and I wold have to cool down my compressor with cold water to keep working in 120 degree heat while the unit sits in the afternoon sun baking at about 140 under the eave of the garage. poor placement. design flaws create problems too.

Top Bottom