FUCK!!!! 1000w Quantum Digital Ballast humming and knocks out my cable when on...HELP PLEASE!!!!

• Thread starter dirtyshawa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
fishwhistle

fishwhistle

RF can come from alot of things imo,like excessively long lampcords between ballast and lamp,lampcords all bundled together,your wiring etc etc,i once saw someone have RF issues(not with ballasts were talking about here)while running 120 but disappeared when switched to 240.Maybe borrow a spare ballast from a buddy and see if it still happens?that would at least tell you if your looking in the right direction,maybe its not even a ballast issue?I would not go by 1 single bad review on amazon thats for sure,now if there was a bunch different story.

Skunkmasterflex

Skunkmasterflex

Premium Member
Supporter
Had this problem just start happening myself. I havnt changed a thing in my grow in years. Cable worked fine just up until about a month ago. Weird thing is it only messes up two channels. I know it's from my one ballast because I can Un plug it and the 2 channels work fine. My best guess is the ballast is dying off maybe? All the other ballasts run without disturbance....it's just the one

Swell

Swell

I'm pretty sure all digital ballasts distort frequencies... especially when you have many ballasts in a tight space.

The cable company can and does trace it to the exact location, then come to your house saying something is causing distortion with neighbors TV's/phones. Depending on where you live, that may or may not be an issue.
But pissing off your neighbors is always an issue.

This response is from a close neighbors personal experience running multiple 1000W Lumatek ballasts.

Magnetic ballasts are usually preferred by very large indoor operations, as they are repairable, cheaper, and don't distort electronic devices.

dirtyshawa

dirtyshawa

Thanks for the feedback guys! I packaged up that pos quantum ballast and I'm sending it back for a refund. I got so paranoid that it only took me 8 hrs of no t.v. to say F this I'm unplugging it and calling the seller first thing in the a.m. I just hope that when the solis tek arrives I don't get that 1 in 1,000 that's defective. I knew I should of went with my first choice of solis tek. I found a site that has the for $219 shipped. Anybody dealt with them before?

dumpstergrower

dumpstergrower

Funny how the same thing happen to me an the co company did I come it effected 700 people in the area learn then don't have your digi ballast near the cable wire. Or it's good by

Skunkmasterflex

Skunkmasterflex

Premium Member
Supporter
I actually just fixed my problem. It was either of two thing because I made 2 changes to my ballast and not sure which fixed it lol. I took it apart and cleaned the fans and the vents on the ballast I had problems with. I also messed with the Ac power cord. Took it out and cut off the plug that goes into the ballast and wired in a new one. I think it was having bad connectivity which was causing the ballast frequency to mess up....almost as if the ground wire was not getting good contact. Not a pro when it comes to ballast repairs but one of the things I did fixed my problem

dirtyshawa

dirtyshawa

I actually just fixed my problem. It was either of two thing because I made 2 changes to my ballast and not sure which fixed it lol. I took it apart and cleaned the fans and the vents on the ballast I had problems with. I also messed with the Ac power cord. Took it out and cut off the plug that goes into the ballast and wired in a new one. I think it was having bad connectivity which was causing the ballast frequency to mess up....almost as if the ground wire was not getting good contact. Not a pro when it comes to ballast repairs but one of the things I did fixed my problem

What type of ballast? It's interesting to hear about others having this issue. The only ballasts I've had were nextgen, but I see they're either gone out of business or don't have any on the market at the moment. I had zero problems with the 600 & 1,000.

Skunkmasterflex

Skunkmasterflex

Premium Member
Supporter
What type of ballast? It's interesting to hear about others having this issue. The only ballasts I've had were nextgen, but I see they're either gone out of business or don't have any on the market at the moment. I had zero problems with the 600 & 1,000.
My ballasts are also nextgen 1k.....

dirtyshawa

dirtyshawa

My ballasts are also nextgen 1k.....

Ok I take it you've had them for awhile like I did then. I hadn't used mine since '10 they were just sitting in a shed the whole time. I just decided to buy all new gear. I'm sure quantum came out some time after the nextgen ballasts, I wonder why they haven't addressed the RFI issue yet in their product. Are they still making the nextgen ballasts? I don't hear much about them anymore.

2DogWalker

Look into the new galaxy amp...its the only ballast I've seen with outward signs that they have tried to limit rfi signals emitting from it... These digital ballasts are definitely trackable, all of them have some rfi IME....I haven't tried any of the newer setups w ballast attached but even t5s give off some "noise"

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
could it be the fact that you are starting it up at 50% power?have you ever tried starting it at 100%

dirtyshawa

dirtyshawa

Nope...no dice smh. I'm so pissed at the quantum brand right now cuz I sat my seedlings underneath it for one night already and they were responding really well to it. I would be two weeks ahead in veg and would have taken clones by the time I get refunded, receive, and setup my Solis Tek Matrix...sigh. Fortunately, growing the plants we love have given me an attribute I hand little of prior to growing...patience. Thanks again for the help guys...mucho mucho apreció!!!!

LegalGrow

LegalGrow

Shit, they sent me 3 quantums as they were out of the digilumes I ordered.... Hopefully they are good.....

dirtyshawa

dirtyshawa

Shit, they sent me 3 quantums as they were out of the digilumes I ordered.... Hopefully they are good.....

I wish you good luck with that. I was hoping that cranking it up to the max would solve this issue, but as soon as I cut it on I heard the t.v. sound disappear from another side of the house when I did. Went to check if the t.v. was on commercial or something....no signal across the screen. Went back to unplug the ballast and the t.v. sound immediately began echoing to my grow room.

reloader

reloader

I bought a brand new Quantum 1000 & a new Galaxy 1000 a few months ago. They both run cool with 0 problems. I have never had RF problems and all I run are digitals. I have satellite, but I have no idea about the neighbors, but we are all on 1 acre lots, maybe that is enough room.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
try plugging it in to a differnt plug? i mean on a differnt circut?

Top Bottom