Fudge's candy shop - The Never-ending Story

• Thread starter Fudge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fudge

Fudge

Tremendous video

Thanks for the heads up @beluga ,got me thinking,, researching,,, so now I just want to make something. The splitters are so nice looking and directional though, so I feel a combined project is the way forward.

Also any ideas why the power consumption goes up when the domes are off the bulbs?

Fudge

Fudge

My little best mate

Should have called him snoop dogg, he is cannabis crazy. Wish he was this disciplined with bud and stems and not just his treats.

You've got to have eyes in the back of your head to watch this little speed demon.
Little but like lightning.
Although he's also doubled in size in 2 weeks. You could see his ribs when I got him.
IMG 20201122 103706

Fudge

Fudge

Seeds into paper towels last night and most have popped and have taps already. 5 tropicana poison, 4 bubblegum, 1 sour diesel, 1 L.A amnesia and 1 mighty grape.
I like to let mine get a good inch tap before I plant them, my best growers have been 2 inches long and have took their helmets off already.
I'll take some pictures tomorrow

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
My little best mate

Should have called him snoop dogg, he is cannabis crazy. Wish he was this disciplined with bud and stems and not just his treats.

You've got to have eyes in the back of your head to watch this little speed demon.
Little but like lightning.
Although he's also doubled in size in 2 weeks. You could see his ribs when I got him. View attachment 1058884
He looks like a troublemaker. 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

beluga

beluga

Also any ideas why the power consumption goes up when the domes are off the bulbs?
I had never heard that...
The only thing I could possibly think of is that they have some kind of gauge that modulates their output based on their temperature (sorry, I don't know what the technical terms for that would be by any means.. if there are such things.) But that sounds kind of farfetched...
I'll look into it a bit more while I'm bored at work tomorrow because now I'm intrigued. I'll fill you in with what, if anything, I find.

Fudge

Fudge

I had never heard that...
The only thing I could possibly think of is that they have some kind of gauge that modulates their output based on their temperature (sorry, I don't know what the technical terms for that would be by any means.. if there are such things.) But that sounds kind of farfetched...
I'll look into it a bit more while I'm bored at work tomorrow because now I'm intrigued. I'll fill you in with what, if anything, I find.

All I could think of without knowing how or why, is that more energy output of light, must pull more energy from somewhere. I've just no idea how the leds could possibly know they had no dome on.

Useless info for us, but something I can't help but wonder why now lol

Fudge

Fudge

Easy start, estimated germ time 3 to 7 days
IMG 20201123 121329

Paper towel start and a kelp soak 2 days
IMG 20201123 122128
IMG 20201123 122123

Just poking out

IMG 20201123 122056

Bubblegum

IMG 20201123 122048

Tropicana poison

IMG 20201123 122105
IMG 20201123 122100
Last edited:
beluga

beluga

So, I immediately went to satisfy my curiosity this morning about LEDs at lower temperatures.

So, from an Quora Q&A
As we know LEDs are after all diodes which are by nature semi-conductors.

As we know with the increase in temperature the free ions in the semi conductor also increases.which again means higher the temperature(up to some limit) lower the resistance and higher the conductivity. ( meaning diodes have negative temperature coefficient of resistance).

Now coming to the actual answer

At low temperatures the free ions inside the LED is less ( meaning it has a higher resistance). Thus we have to provide a higher potential difference in order to obtain the same output. Hence the efficiency is low at lower temperature s.

Higher the resistance lower the current, lower the current lower the re-combination of electron-hole pairs.

Lower the re-combination lower the light emitted.

Which inturn means low light efficiency

Here's an article from the Lighting Research Center

Basically what I surmised was pretty much right...
So... taking the globe off, you're exposing the LEDs to a much bigger area, whereas they're used to having the globe as a sort of micro-envrionment that helps to more easily stabilize their temperature.
LEDs, because they're semiconductors, transmit their own energy more freely at higher temperatures. Less at lower.
Now, I thought, 'well, wait... wouldn't they simply just emit less light at lower temperatures because they're receiving the same current?"
Nah.
Manufacturers put in a "compensation circuit" which adjusts for a constant light output in a given temperature.
Makes me wonder if those could be (or if they are..? not that I'm aware of) included in a high-powered grow light... might be pretty neat and maybe useful.

Now... where that video is misleading is that room temps aren't necessarily lower than the temps that would be in the globe.
Also, running LEDs at a higher temperature shortens their lifespan... so, what's really more efficient?

Fudge

Fudge

So, I immediately went to satisfy my curiosity this morning about LEDs at lower temperatures.

So, from an Quora Q&A

Here's an article from the Lighting Research Center

Basically what I surmised was pretty much right...
So... taking the globe off, you're exposing the LEDs to a much bigger area, whereas they're used to having the globe as a sort of micro-envrionment that helps to more easily stabilize their temperature.
LEDs, because they're semiconductors, transmit their own energy more freely at higher temperatures. Less at lower.
Now, I thought, 'well, wait... wouldn't they simply just emit less light at lower temperatures because they're receiving the same current?"
Nah.
Manufacturers put in a "compensation circuit" which adjusts for a constant light output in a given temperature.
Makes me wonder if those could be (or if they are..? not that I'm aware of) included in a high-powered grow light... might be pretty neat and maybe useful.

Now... where that video is misleading is that room temps aren't necessarily lower than the temps that would be in the globe.
Also, running LEDs at a higher temperature shortens their lifespan... so, what's really more efficient?

Thank you so much. This makes total sense.

I imagine the cheapo led makers are exploiting this somehow. better results and cost , traded off for less lifespan and extra power consumption to the consumer.

beluga

beluga

Thank you so much. This makes total sense.

I imagine the cheapo led makers are exploiting this somehow. better results and cost , traded off for less lifespan and extra power consumption to the consumer.
Oh, without a doubt. Cheaper materials and planned obsolescence is the name of the game these days.
That's why I'm so adamant about building my own and learning what I can about the components.

Fudge

Fudge

1st wave in the coco. Just a natural coco with an ecothrive charge mixed through. Into nursery bags. Then under a T5 in prop box for now. I usually spray with a 5% kelp/water mix but just gave these a touch of water until they're heads are up and cotleydons open.

Next job, Kali dog's getting wet
IMG 20201123 135329

Top Bottom