Fun with Dry Ice

• Thread starter outwest
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
So I decided to use the trim from my latest run to experiment with dry extraction. I used both dried trim as well as fresh frozen. Inspired by WalterWhiteFire's Power Day Tutorial, my old school buddy the spider, and a few odds and ends picked up here, youtube, and elsewhere, I gave dry ice extraction a shot.

If you are looking for expert tips on getting full melt bubble with dry ice, this ain't it. If you're looking for a dude with trim, bubble bags, and some dry ice, welcome aboard.

I did not document my process, just the end results. I used a 220 micron bag nested in a 73 micron bag. All the trim and dry ice was in the 220 bag. I covered my kitchen table with a black trash bag (ghetto I know). Threw the ingredients in the bag, threw that back in the freezer for 10 minutes. Then pulled the bag out and shook it over the kitchen table.

I think one of the secrets to getting it right (in terms of highest quality, not yield) is knowing how long to shake the bags. This varies widely based on quality and volume of material, and only comes with experience, something I don't have yet!

Once the kif was shaken out, I scooped it up and put it in a sharpstone press, and cranked it down. Then I boiled the press for 5 minutes. A separate run I boiled for 10 minutes. . .it was a larger puck an lower quality material, still probably should have only boiled for 5 minutes. I'm still pleased with the outcome.

Anyway, this is by no means the highest quality, but for my first try it ain't so bad. One day my pressed kif will be as good as the spider's but until then I'll keep trying.

outwest

Sour Morrocan - Pressed and boiled for 10 minutes

Sourmoroc sf

Durban Puck - Pressed and boiled for 5 minutes.

Durbpuck sf

Durban Kif - Nice, but lots of room for improvement.

Durbpow sf

Durban Work Pile - Tasty and potent, but impure.

Durbwork sf

This was some mixed trim. Was only a tiny bit and it got shaken WAY to long. Live and learn.

Oops sf

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
i dont care what you say, that shit looks like it came out real nice.:)

Thanks, 420. I'm not anal about much in life, but for my smokeables 'real nice' leaves me room for improvement. One day I'll get the full melt bomb. Gotta have goals!

looks pretty good,.... you might want to run a little everclear over your leftovers before you toss them,.....just an idea

Thanks, UC. I'm letting the leftovers dry out then I'm gonna make some olive oil with them.

outwest

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

Looking awesome and delicious outwest. I was thinking of trying those methods some time. Always for some new type of something if ya know what I mean lol. Enjoy those little danky treats.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Thanks. For those who care they're gluten free. They're not the best cookie because when I made the butter the water and butter were to saturated with trim that when I left it to cool the solidified butter had a crust of green on the bottom. I'm going to resaturate everything with more butter to make a lil bit weaker batch with less green matter in it.

outwest

UCMETOO

UCMETOO

Made some stupid strong down for the count butter with the dry ice pulverized trim. Deadly strong and magically delicious aren't really a very good combo.

outwest

View attachment 273396
COOKIES OF DOOM!!!!!
can't tell you how many times i have given in to the taste only to be smashed in the head with the SLEDGE HAMMER!!

UCMETOO

UCMETOO

So I decided to use the trim from my latest run to experiment with dry extraction. I used both dried trim as well as fresh frozen. Inspired by WalterWhiteFire's Power Day Tutorial, my old school buddy the spider, and a few odds and ends picked up here, youtube, and elsewhere, I gave dry ice extraction a shot.

If you are looking for expert tips on getting full melt bubble with dry ice, this ain't it. If you're looking for a dude with trim, bubble bags, and some dry ice, welcome aboard.

I did not document my process, just the end results. I used a 220 micron bag nested in a 73 micron bag. All the trim and dry ice was in the 220 bag. I covered my kitchen table with a black trash bag (ghetto I know). Threw the ingredients in the bag, threw that back in the freezer for 10 minutes. Then pulled the bag out and shook it over the kitchen table.

I think one of the secrets to getting it right (in terms of highest quality, not yield) is knowing how long to shake the bags. This varies widely based on quality and volume of material, and only comes with experience, something I don't have yet!

Once the kif was shaken out, I scooped it up and put it in a sharpstone press, and cranked it down. Then I boiled the press for 5 minutes. A separate run I boiled for 10 minutes. . .it was a larger puck an lower quality material, still probably should have only boiled for 5 minutes. I'm still pleased with the outcome.

Anyway, this is by no means the highest quality, but for my first try it ain't so bad. One day my pressed kif will be as good as the spider's but until then I'll keep trying.

outwest

Sour Morrocan - Pressed and boiled for 10 minutes

View attachment 271133

Durban Puck - Pressed and boiled for 5 minutes.

View attachment 271132

Durban Kif - Nice, but lots of room for improvement.

View attachment 271134

Durban Work Pile - Tasty and potent, but impure.

View attachment 271131

This was some mixed trim. Was only a tiny bit and it got shaken WAY to long. Live and learn.

View attachment 271130

That is one gorgeous puck, any chance you could hook me up with a link to the source for THAT strategy!!!! or where i could get the mold?

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
That is one gorgeous puck, any chance you could hook me up with a link to the source for THAT strategy!!!! or where i could get the mold?

I used one of those sharpstone presses. Cranked it down until I couldn't crank it down anymore, then set it in boiling water for 5 minutes.

outwest

psilobuds

psilobuds

mate, that stuff looks awesome! really hafta give this a whirl some point soon. have heaps and heaps of trim just sittin around doin jack all. nice to turn it into a product like that. would be heaps popular amongst folk around here!

UCMETOO

UCMETOO

I used one of those sharpstone presses. Cranked it down until I couldn't crank it down anymore, then set it in boiling water for 5 minutes.

outwest
did you vaccuume bag it first or go str8 into the hot water?

Top Bottom