Fungus gnat problem

• Thread starter Naturalx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Naturalx

Naturalx

Hello,

So I thought the gnats were gone but they must have been hiding or hatching. I popped some seeds and have 5 seedlings going. The problem is I have these gnats that keep coming back. I’ve sprayed insecticidal soap, sticky pads. I need to exterminate these bastards.

What can I use that won’t kill my plants? I don’t want to start over and dump the pots and start fresh because it’s slow time release Organics in there. If I can avoid it that would be preferred.

Marcocasd

Marcocasd

Cover the soil with a layer of perlite or aquarium sand so they cannot lay eggs on it and die

BloodShot

BloodShot

Hello,

So I thought the gnats were gone but they must have been hiding or hatching. I popped some seeds and have 5 seedlings going. The problem is I have these gnats that keep coming back. I’ve sprayed insecticidal soap, sticky pads. I need to exterminate these bastards.

What can I use that won’t kill my plants? I don’t want to start over and dump the pots and start fresh because it’s slow time release Organics in there. If I can avoid it that would be preferred.
Fungus gnats are also small enough to get through your average window screening as well. I have a big problem with fungus gnats as they can send me to the clinic because they love to bite chunks out of me, they are nasty bastards with attitude but don't seem to bother those around me.
Only thing I have found that works is don't allow your plants to stand holding too much water and let the tops dry out down 2 or 3 inches between watering.
I recently took in a plant from outside and it was crawling with fungus gnats after a drench with water so all I did was top the pot with a thick layer of DE and hung some fly stickers in the room and I have only seen a couple gnats in a few days.
If you are growing in a tent try hanging some fly stickers from the ceiling and close it up for a few days...I was over run with them a few years ago and this clear out a whole tent full.
I'm sure there are sprays but I haven't had to go there yet.
pics would be good though...

Naturalx

Naturalx

Fungus gnats are also small enough to get through your average window screening as well. I have a big problem with fungus gnats as they can send me to the clinic because they love to bite chunks out of me, they are nasty bastards with attitude but don't seem to bother those around me.
Only thing I have found that works is don't allow your plants to stand holding too much water and let the tops dry out down 2 or 3 inches between watering.
I recently took in a plant from outside and it was crawling with fungus gnats after a drench with water so all I did was top the pot with a thick layer of DE and hung some fly stickers in the room and I have only seen a couple gnats in a few days.
If you are growing in a tent try hanging some fly stickers from the ceiling and close it up for a few days...I was over run with them a few years ago and this clear out a whole tent full.
I'm sure there are sprays but I haven't had to go there yet.
pics would be good though...
My only fear with de earth is just how insanely horrible it is for your lungs lol

Skram0

Skram0

I've always had an idea of using a sheer curtain and cut to fit over the top soil. Only about $5 to $10. It's those see-through curtains you usually put behind a normal curtain. A good see through one would let air and water through, but no bugs or eggs. Maybe a good week or two covered might kill them out.

In theory it seems like it would be a good idea. :/

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
I've always had an idea of using a sheer curtain and cut to fit over the top soil. Only about $5 to $10. It's those see-through curtains you usually put behind a normal curtain. A good see through one would let air and water through, but no bugs or eggs. Maybe a good week or two covered might kill them out.

It will cause mold bro, but I dig the idea, like a mosquito net

BloodShot

BloodShot

They do sell a window screen material that replaces the regular window screens at building stores such as home depot. The screen lets air flow but is a small enough to not let the gnats through.

Naturalx

Naturalx

I’m honestly just worried about my seedlings because this is my last grow before our baby arrives, I am kind of rushed.

I’m just worried these gnats are eating some of my seedlings one died two are thriving, and I just dropped two more. I did plant a sprouted seed and it disappeared lol. So I’m sure it’s all counter productive and I’ll just need to dump it all. But I’d rather not.

I bought some nematodes and hung more sticky traps but here’s some photos. It’s like I get rid of the adults the larva hatch rinse repeat lol

The one seedling has completely stopped growing.

B67E0FCF BBDA 488B 901F 54AB421B26AF
B58F1354 4861 4015 BEC5 A6692FD68611
33CA48BB 6FD7 4B6F BD18 AAC46C512695
87207B8D E8B8 4A4A 8135 ECEC03D4A316
Naturalx

Naturalx

alot of gnats,where are they coming frfom?
My outdoor plants were stolen so I had to bring what was left inside and they spread like crazy. I thought I had dealt with them but they came back after my seedlings were placed. Sticky pads were empty and then one day they were covered asnif they all hatched lol it’s a fucking nightmare

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I’m honestly just worried about my seedlings because this is my last grow before our baby arrives, I am kind of rushed.

I’m just worried these gnats are eating some of my seedlings one died two are thriving, and I just dropped two more. I did plant a sprouted seed and it disappeared lol. So I’m sure it’s all counter productive and I’ll just need to dump it all. But I’d rather not.

I bought some nematodes and hung more sticky traps but here’s some photos. It’s like I get rid of the adults the larva hatch rinse repeat lol

The one seedling has completely stopped growing.

You need an immediate pesticide. You can try
My outdoor plants were stolen so I had to bring what was left inside and they spread like crazy. I thought I had dealt with them but they came back after my seedlings were placed. Sticky pads were empty and then one day they were covered asnif they all hatched lol it’s a fucking nightmare

I would pour a gallon of 4 to 1 mix of 3% hydrogen peroxide throufh immediately and keep refreshing the yellow sticky cards to catch the flyers. A vacuum helps too with the flyers.

Then when the pot dries start microbe lift to take care of the eggs and larvae. Expect a 2 week cycle to continue at least.

That many gnats will hurt the seedling for sure.

Also can use a product like azamaz safely.

Naturalx

Naturalx

You need an immediate pesticide. You can try

I would pour a gallon of 4 to 1 mix of 3% hydrogen peroxide throufh immediately and keep refreshing the yellow sticky cards to catch the flyers. A vacuum helps too with the flyers.

Then when the pot dries start microbe lift to take care of the eggs and larvae. Expect a 2 week cycle to continue at least.

That many gnats will hurt the seedling for sure.

Also can use a product like azamaz safely.
I could just dump it all and start over but then I’m out the seeds etc. Which I don’t want to get rid of lol. Ugh. I’ll do the peroxide. It won’t affevt seedlings or the nutrients?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Hello,

Maybe too wet? Start watering with a wet dry cycle, put 9" high velocity fan(s) on low on the floor and hang yellow stickys on each plant to control without chemicals in about 2 weeks, congrats on the new baby!

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I could just dump it all and start over but then I’m out the seeds etc. Which I don’t want to get rid of lol. Ugh. I’ll do the peroxide. It won’t affevt seedlings or the nutrients?

Search fungus gnats and cannabis. Tons of good info online and in here. You may save the seedling fine.

I dont think one application of h2o2 will hurt your medium. You will see the soil bubble up. Thats the larvae dying.

But read some articles and choose your favorite combination of methods.

And keep your garden on the dry side. Drier soil is key.

quirk

quirk

Orange Oil - 2oz./gal. Add a few drops of dish soap as a surfactant. Use as a drench and foliar spray. Completely organic as the terpene, d-limonene breaks down the insects exoskeleton, Wipe down your grow room with same solution. No more gnats, aphids, ants, etc.

Top Bottom