Fungus Gnats Solutions???

• Thread starter ball23
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sjstylz408

Hows this sand? its very small have some little pebbles also. Keep in mind its on a micro so it looks big

DSC05450
B

Buddy Hemphill

Mosquito Dunks work amazing....take the whole pack and crush them into a 5 gallon bucket....a few doses of that concetrated mix with some follow up of Neemix 4.5 aka azatrol should eliminate them for good...

Using some Pond Enzymes to eat up any crap the larvave would eat helps too

x2

dunks active ingridient is BT, same as gnatrol

I keep one in the res always, during veg.

M

Mmmmasonite

azamax (neem extract) drench every 5 days x 3 will take care of the larvae

to take care of the flies

clean up the bottoms of the plants at least a foot from the tops of the pots

get a fan blowing over the pots - sticky traps and spray azamax every 3 days or so while in veg

should knock them down bigtime and the sand on top is great - the fies cant just dive bomb into your medium that way

a few gnats is no big deal - I always get them here in summer

I agree.....Azamax worked great to keep the gnats at a minimum......Rockwool sucks when it comes to gnats....They just love that stuff

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hows this sand? its very small have some little pebbles also. Keep in mind its on a micro so it looks big
It looks huge! You can smash the fungus gnats with those rocks. I've never looked that close-up to my sand, just tossed vinegar on it and gone on my way. Great macro.

S

SSHZ

Gnats can build up a resistance to things, i.e. anything with BT such as the dunks. They work on the short term but then can become ineffective...... After the population is controlled- I drench with azamax once every 2 weeks but don't spray anymore. The yellow sticky traps do a good job with the adults. A layer of sand on top the plants soil also works very well in killing off the population.....

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
I put 2tbs of diatomacious earth on the top of each 2 gal container. It was enough to cover the surface in white ...It's been there for weeks and no problems.... but I still have plenty of gnats....

I here it's a good silica source.

fred

T

Toes

Mosquito Dunks, or Bacillus Thuringensis spp. israelensis (BTi) works like a charm for an infestation of the little root eating larvae. Kills large amounts of bugs, dead, in 24 hours. I brew the dunks right in with my guano tea, at a ratio of 1/4 dunk per 5 gallons of tea. seriously it works so good, I water the next day and see ALL of the dead larvae flush right out of the containers in my run-off.

Thuricide, or Bacillus Thuringensis spp. kurstaki or BTk works on foliage eating caterpillars like the tomato horn worm. BTk will not work on Fungus Gnat larvae and BTi will not work on the Gypsy Moth larvae.

So be sure to check which subspecies of BT your buying...;)

But, the best control is good prevention... good practices in your garden like keeping necrotic leaves groomed, dead foliage debris cleaned away, and allowing your medium to dry out before watering again. MJ doesn't like a constantly moist medium, fungus gnats do.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Wow, so no one has said it?

To the OP, if you're battling a serious infestation, if it's affecting your plants in weird ways, if they're showing weird shit you can't seem to chase down, deficiencies and stuff, then you're likely NOT dealing with fungus gnats. And if they're not fungus gnats then not a one of these solutions is going to solve the problem.

Root aphids.

phenotyper

phenotyper

As someone who had the same problem of getting rid of *fungus gnats* that wouldn't die, I'd second the situation and say you have root aphids. God help you.

T

Toes

Oh my Jah!

Thank you, oh mighty creator... for having not introduced me to these terrible beasts, Root Aphids. from they're humble beginnings in the sonoma/napa wine cowntry.. to the invinsibel super pests they've become. RA infestations are the stuff night mares dream about.

P.S. thank you Jah

T

Toes

^ i get a little Jah praising full when mixing ganja with Corona.... :)

Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

i been trying to get ride of them too for a while. Made a post mo a go in another area of the the farm.

What I believe just worked for me this last 1_ 1/2 runs. Go Gnats and SNS203. Taking a 5G bucket. 3G water. 1oz GoGnats. 10oz SNS203. DO NOT USE THIS IF IN ROCKWOOL. i killed a room because the poison was stuck in the stonewool. I am in Hydroton now. Take each one. place it in the bucket till the little things stop moving. witch can take 5-15 mins for each site.

Came back around 1 week later to do the same. Could not find really any alive. only 10% of the room had anything! What i kept doing wrong is using what the each bottle says. Also only giveing it 2 mins max then had to move on to the next one since this is a farm here.... Some times you have to take your time and SMELL the ROSES!

Friend that gots 20 years on me say nilnats work. so he gave me his bottel to try. Let you know what happens.

B

Buddy Hemphill

Merit 75. It works best for me. It kills 'em. Dead dead.

And if they a RA's instead of FG's....you will be happy.

BCrocker

BCrocker

Gnats can build up a resistance to things, i.e. anything with BT such as the dunks. They work on the short term but then can become ineffective...... After the population is controlled- I drench with azamax once every 2 weeks but don't spray anymore. The yellow sticky traps do a good job with the adults. A layer of sand on top the plants soil also works very well in killing off the population.....

What dosage for azamax drench? My Res is 150gal and I am in soil. I use about 2 full res per feeding :s

Mosquito Dunks, or Bacillus Thuringensis spp. israelensis (BTi) works like a charm for an infestation of the little root eating larvae. Kills large amounts of bugs, dead, in 24 hours. I brew the dunks right in with my guano tea, at a ratio of 1/4 dunk per 5 gallons of tea. seriously it works so good, I water the next day and see ALL of the dead larvae flush right out of the containers in my run-off.

Thuricide, or Bacillus Thuringensis spp. kurstaki or BTk works on foliage eating caterpillars like the tomato horn worm. BTk will not work on Fungus Gnat larvae and BTi will not work on the Gypsy Moth larvae.

So be sure to check which subspecies of BT your buying...;)

But, the best control is good prevention... good practices in your garden like keeping necrotic leaves groomed, dead foliage debris cleaned away, and allowing your medium to dry out before watering again. MJ doesn't like a constantly moist medium, fungus gnats do.

Ack i was just going to buy BTk !! Thanks!

G

GirlCarny

I put 2tbs of diatomacious earth on the top of each 2 gal container. It was enough to cover the surface in white ...It's been there for weeks and no problems.... but I still have plenty of gnats....
I here it's a good silica source.
fred

Im a new grower and new to this whole gnat thing with coco. I was also thinking of using DE along with a layer of sand or perlite on top of the coco. Im really trying to avoid using chemical warfare at this point.

P

pharmacopia

If you're using soil/soiless you can throw all the poisons away. Stir the top of the soil everytime you water and you'll kill the little beasties before they can fly.

Top Bottom