Funky Town..

• Thread starter Texas Kid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

I apologize to butt in to the thread here, but with the higher K bulbs; have you guys looked into the aquarium trade?

They began using the double ended MH bulbs back in the mid to late 90's. However, whereas in this industry they are called "DE"; in the aquarium industry they are called "HQI" (halogen quartz incandescent). 6500k is about as low of Kelvin as people tend to run on aquariums and you can get the HQI's in 10K, 12K, 15K and 20K.
I believe they top out at 400w for the HQI metal halides for that trade though. (also can get 150 and 250's).

In the aquarium trade they were "advertized" to provide better penetration / intensity for less watts, but they had UV and needed to have a glass lens (with aquariums). This is because UV is removed with the "outer" glass that mogul bulbs have and HQI or DE's do not. UV comes from the Mercury I guess if anyone cares there xD.

sorry again, just wanted to say to check around in the aquarium trade (if ye' haven't.)
Exactly. This bulb is nothing new. Have to wonder why the REAL players (not Solistek) never brought them into the equation. My company played with these 4-5 years ago, wasn't worth our time.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I apologize to butt in to the thread here, but with the higher K bulbs; have you guys looked into the aquarium trade?

They began using the double ended MH bulbs back in the mid to late 90's. However, whereas in this industry they are called "DE"; in the aquarium industry they are called "HQI" (halogen quartz incandescent). 6500k is about as low of Kelvin as people tend to run on aquariums and you can get the HQI's in 10K, 12K, 15K and 20K.
I believe they top out at 400w for the HQI metal halides for that trade though. (also can get 150 and 250's).

In the aquarium trade they were "advertized" to provide better penetration / intensity for less watts, but they had UV and needed to have a glass lens (with aquariums). This is because UV is removed with the "outer" glass that mogul bulbs have and HQI or DE's do not. UV comes from the Mercury I guess if anyone cares there xD.

sorry again, just wanted to say to check around in the aquarium trade (if ye' haven't.)
You *know* this talk has piqued my interest. I've got a gifted 10K MH that I tried to cannibalize for other lighting, but couldn't. IF I ever get back into doing full indoor runs, I am definitely going to pull it out to try with a few plantolas.

Makes ya wonder about a 20K, too, doesn't it? Is Ice Cap still around, or did they go bust? I think they went bust.

Coir

Coir

Say what you will about them but my test results came back and there was a 15% increase in THC on two more strains and 10% increase in THC and CBD on another. That makes 4 strains now that all have shown an increase while using the 10K for the last two weeks of flower. Nothing else changed other than that for the entire grow. Can't really call it a coincidence now.

MGRox

MGRox

I wasn't intending to add ammo to either side of the debate here as I've not tried them with plants to see; just was helping with info. This is something I am interested in, but haven't taken the time necessary to read more / try it out. I've just been watching the various testing going on now (on the forum here) :).

@Coir Nice!! I tend to always have some things out with CBD, so it's good to see increase there too. Have you also run tests with the 6500K bulbs by chance?
Only reason I ask, is the 10K's were big with aquariums but I always had better growth with corals under 6500K's and Actinic supplement (just for looks). Mainly, the 6500K's had a lot more lumens than the 10K. I would be curious what the difference may be here.

@Seamaiden I "think" Ice cap is still around; at least I can find the 430 ballasts still. By chance was that 10K you got gifted; the HQI 150w with electronic Ice Cap ballast?

Coir

Coir

@MGRox I only use the 10K for the last 10-14 days of flowering. I use a 6K for veg and the first 2 weeks of flower with great results though. The plants love the light the 6K puts off. Very similar growth as the CMH/LEC I tested but it's 600W instead of 315. I want to try the 4K as well now after looking at the spectrum. Seems to have almost as much red as an HPS. I am a big fan of mixed spectrum lighting and always seem to get better results.

G

Greeninthumb

I would like to know where PL's can be purchased for $300....? That doesn't sound accurate.
Doesn't sound accurate to me either. I think someone is posing as me also using a similar name as mine.
I think $425 is more like it unless your a commercial grower then I guess you negotiate a price.

GreenintheThumb

GreenintheThumb

Posing as you? I've had this handle on ICMAG since 2004.

John Frey is the PL rep in colorado now, had a meeting with him last week and he built a light plan for a new large facility I'm building out. Sadly their price has gone WAY up since last I met with them. Fixture is now at $430 but you can get a decent rebate through Xcel (80-90 bucks per fixture) so you're at $350 out of pocket.

If you're wondering the plan has the lamps hung 4.25 feet x 5 feet. This lands at an average of 946 millimoles at 93% uniformity (979 max, 911 low) at 4 foot over canopy.

GreenintheThumb

GreenintheThumb

Well it got a lot harder ever since Neil Yorio went down there and started chewing apart the induction light used car salesman who was getting tons of rebates for what are essentially fluorescents. His LEDs are pretty damn good and he's a NASA guy who explained to them the false claims of so many.

Getting a rebate on a DE now has to do with your light layout. That's what PL explained to me and they claimed that theirs (4.5 x 5 foot) would qualify. So I think you would get the same rebate on any DE fixtures you hung in a similar manor. The difference is PL's relationship with Xcel, they're pretty tight and have done this for a fair amount of people. I think I would have to fill out all the paperwork myself and bet for my e-paps but it's the same pattern and should get an equal rebate. I haven't gotten one yet so that's all I got. Good luck

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
My new Nanolux DE and Gavita fixtures have an even larger footprint than what PL proposes, at least the way we are setting them up, so I would assume they would qualify..but I have been through Xcels application form for rebate a few times and still do not see how they would qualify...Induction and LED no problem but HID and specifically DE fixtures other than the larger footprint requiring less total lights in a facility to cover the same square footage but that is some shaking justification for the rebate. Im going to go at them again next week and see what they say..

Thanks GT

lollipopman

lollipopman

@Texas Kid I was wondering if you had pics of your Bloody Mary? The reason I'm asking is at the cup ran into cannaventure and he gifted me some bloody diesel seeds.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Ill have to go find them, they are in another computer somewhere...I need to find that cat and get some of those Bloody Mary crosses in my stable to play with

scrapmapple

scrapmapple

@Texas Kid where'du get the imperial spice beans? who they from? i ask cuz im workin a jabba's male and also did a cross with the local eugene sour diesel. thx man. this thread is too much btw, ur an inspiration to say the least!

GreenintheThumb

GreenintheThumb

The PL fixtures are expensive now, had them do a layout and buying 400 it was still $435 per fixture. This makes them the top of the price pyramid in line with the e-paps.

I'd choose e-paps > Gavitas > PL > Nanolux personally if money isn't an issue. If you have shorter ceilings I'd choose the e-paps or the nanolux for sure.

Top Bottom