Game of Thrones

• Thread starter Shamus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Welshwizzard

Welshwizzard

Shameless US? You seen the real one? I should say original one really. That used to be so good on Channel 4 over here.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No, never even heard of it til, as usual, I was channel surfing one day and William Macy was being absolutely brilliantly OUTRAGEOUS and from there, I was hooked. What was it called, and can I find it on OnDemand via Directv or maybe Amazon Prime?

Absolutely not for kids, either. Hoo boy!

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
No, never even heard of it til, as usual, I was channel surfing one day and William Macy was being absolutely brilliantly OUTRAGEOUS and from there, I was hooked. What was it called, and can I find it on OnDemand via Directv or maybe Amazon Prime?

Absolutely not for kids, either. Hoo boy!
Shameless was originally a uk series with the same name, but im not sure if you americans will get our british humor lol

Are we gonna be watching?? Abso-FUCKING-lutely! I won't be reading the books, so everything will be a surprise to me.

It's gonna be weird getting out of the Shameless & True Detective mode, but I'm sure I can handle the adjustment.
I could not get into True Detective i found it very boring. Ive just finished watching "masters of sex" much better than i expected

shawnskush

shawnskush

I've read the books but haven't bothered to watch the show, seems a bit ridiculous for every "plot twist" to simply be another betrayal...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Shameless was originally a uk series with the same name, but im not sure if you americans will get our british humor lol

I could not get into True Detective i found it very boring. Ive just finished watching "masters of sex" much better than i expected
You and my dad, he said he found the dialog 'sluggish and uninteresting.' He was born and raised in New Orleans so his views and experiences of the Deep South are very different from mine. But, it pulled me in even when I didn't want to be pulled in. I'd be very interested to see the UK version of Shameless, I can't say how much I'd like it, it's not quite Monty Python or Fawlty Towers, maybe... no, it's more raunchy than Absolutely Fabulous. It's pretty much one of the raunchiest shows I've ever watched. I guess I'd just have to see and find out!

But one thing is for sure, I have been jonesing for GoT to start up again, and now that it's just about here I'm going on a refresher course with a new focus on Daenerys Targaryen. Mother of Dragons... I bet she's got some Puerto Rican in her back there somewhere, Boricua!

Welshwizzard

Welshwizzard

You know exactly what I mean by that old school channel 4 show. The first few series of Shamless were amazing. Paul Abbott genius.

TopBoy is another channel 4 one I really enjoyed, as was Utopia. Very odd.

True detective Im on episode 5 or 6 and waiting for something to happen. Losing interest fast.

The closest Ive come to GOT is Vikings. Which is fucking EPIC.

burn4me

burn4me

I think logic is right about UK version of shameless. I just couldn't do it. Maybe its just im to "Americanized " but a good show none the less. And never watched GOT but planned on catching marathon to check it out. And Sea i totally get it. I was pulled in and only wanted to see what it was. Did the same with cable series Justified. Great show too.

Welshwizzard

Welshwizzard

I think logic is right about UK version of shameless. I just couldn't do it. Maybe its just im to "Americanized " but a good show none the less. And never watched GOT but planned on catching marathon to check it out

I love our version of the office but cant handle 10 mins of the US version.

Madness

burn4me

burn4me

I love our version of the office but cant handle 10 mins of the US version.

Madness
u and me both. Lol i only watch 2 British shows. Dr. Who on occasion but my buddies are obsessed abd being human. I watch both versions of that ...well did

Welshwizzard

Welshwizzard

I can only handle the US version of that, the UK one seems more silly funny wheras the US version has a little more serious fun to it.

Top Gear US is PANTS though.

I'm glad that GOT isnt remade for both sides of Atlantic!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Don't get me started on the pure TRIPE that is the US version of Top Gear. They completely and totally missed the mark.
You know exactly what I mean by that old school channel 4 show. The first few series of Shamless were amazing. Paul Abbott genius.

TopBoy is another channel 4 one I really enjoyed, as was Utopia. Very odd.

True detective Im on episode 5 or 6 and waiting for something to happen. Losing interest fast.

The closest Ive come to GOT is Vikings. Which is fucking EPIC.
It's all leading up to a single final culmination, a single loci event, if you will. You will immediately understand why McConaughey's (sp? I can never fucking spell his name!) character, Rust Cohle, simply cannot return, and to try to return the character to the show would be trite, overworked, and it would kill it dead. And you understand how Hart will mature and move forward. Part of the appeal for me is that it brings back a lot of memories of my childhood when we lived in Shreveport, La, and driving between there and my mawmaw's home in New Orleans. Stopping at the gas station and not being allowed to use the toilet, seeing the big fishbowl full of baby alligators, wasps, WASPS, Icees, hot tar in the cracks of the roads, pecans pecans and more pecans... and then hearing people speak, hearing an accent and manner of speech I haven't heard since I was very young, and I haven't been back there since I was quite small. I don't know if I can get enough of the opening tune, either. I wonder if the gas stations will let me use their toilets now that I'm not so tanned. :eek:

LOVING Vikings (have you ever seen The 13th Warrior? Based on true events and a single document).
I think logic is right about UK version of shameless. I just couldn't do it. Maybe its just im to "Americanized " but a good show none the less. And never watched GOT but planned on catching marathon to check it out. And Sea i totally get it. I was pulled in and only wanted to see what it was. Did the same with cable series Justified. Great show too.
So you've seen it, then? I got pulled into Homeland the same way, channel surfing (I am really bad about that, super-ADD).
u and me both. Lol i only watch 2 British shows. Dr. Who on occasion but my buddies are obsessed abd being human. I watch both versions of that ...well did
I love the UK version of Antiques Roadshow.

Welshwizzard

Welshwizzard

Don't get me started on the pure TRIPE that is the US version of Top Gear. They completely and totally missed the mark.
It's all leading up to a single final culmination, a single loci event, if you will. You will immediately understand why McConaughey's (sp? I can never fucking spell his name!) character, Rust Cohle, simply cannot return, and to try to return the character to the show would be trite, overworked, and it would kill it dead. And you understand how Hart will mature and move forward. Part of the appeal for me is that it brings back a lot of memories of my childhood when we lived in Shreveport, La, and driving between there and my mawmaw's home in New Orleans. Stopping at the gas station and not being allowed to use the toilet, seeing the big fishbowl full of baby alligators, wasps, WASPS, Icees, hot tar in the cracks of the roads, pecans pecans and more pecans... and then hearing people speak, hearing an accent and manner of speech I haven't heard since I was very young, and I haven't been back there since I was quite small. I don't know if I can get enough of the opening tune, either. I wonder if the gas stations will let me use their toilets now that I'm not so tanned. :eek:

LOVING Vikings (have you ever seen The 13th Warrior? Based on true events and a single document).

So you've seen it, then? I got pulled into Homeland the same way, channel surfing (I am really bad about that, super-ADD).

I love the UK version of Antiques Roadshow.

I think it must be a much more intimate feeling watching TD if you can resonate with the feel of the show, to me it just seems on the surface like a load of fucked up backwards people who do sick shit for kick.
I'll keep watching to see what the crescendo of the show is. I am still intrigued, just slipping a little/

Yeah 13th warrior is quality. You should check out the film Valhalla Rising. So so good.

Oh Antiques Roadshow. I LOATHE it. That and Bargain Hunt. The shit my old man watches. I will 100% undoubtedly be watching it myself in a few years. I think its so quintessentially british its just white noise to some of us.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
People everywhere are sick. Have you heard of the radio gameshow called "Germany or Florida"?
Oh Jesus..! I just Googled it. LMAO! Here, check it out:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=germany or florida

(To those who are familiar with Loveline, do you also remember The Poor Man?)

I watch both versions of AR, and two years ago I happened to see a piece of modern art that I grew up with, it's a steel wire 'spray' sculpture set into an aluminum base, made by some Italian cat IIRC. I flipped when the appraiser shot out a value of $10K, called my mother immediately. She has no idea where it is. GAH!

I think I've seen Valhalla Rising, but... I'm not sure. I've been nose-deep in almost all things photography, the aforementioned, and another strong interest, Richard III. I've changed my mind, the poor man was terribly maligned via Tudor propaganda. He obvious was deformed, but I don't think he was the greedy, evil person portrayed, not after reading how the citizens of York reacted upon his death, how he was considered in the area...

Sorry for the digression, but I believe I can pull it together, because I do read a lot of historical fiction with a strangely strong emphasis on English/UK/British histories (considering my Spanish background and how I was brought up to view people like Sir Francis Drake as nothing but dirty pirates. Seriously, he is still spoken of very harshly on Puerto Rico, some people even get teary-eyed) and many of the various events depicted in GoT come directly from actual histories. Also, if you look at the maps, much of it is simply taken directly with little effort to conceal. Hello? The Narrow Sea?

<hopes that worked>

Black Lab

Black Lab

Back to the topic :) I love Game of Thrones!! April 6 can't wait to see who's fucking who and what happens to that poor fucker who had his dick cut off. He kind of deserves it after turning on Ned's clan who raised him but they have tortured him like nothing I've ever seen. I hear it hits the ground running this year with a shit load of action. Great show!

Top Bottom