Garden Grow

• Thread starter BudBogart
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BudBogart

BudBogart

Aluminum sulphate will bring the pH down readily.

Thanks. I added something called espoma soil acidifier. Close enough? It’s what I could find on short notice. 30% Elemental sulphur and gypsum. Some readily available, some not. Thanks for the recommendation.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Thanks. I added something called espoma soil acidifier. Close enough? It’s what I could find on short notice. 30% Elemental sulphur and gypsum. Some readily available, some not. Thanks for the recommendation.
Sulpher is what brings the pH down. Iron sulphate is also used. One or the other of those is probably on the ingredients list.

BudBogart

BudBogart

Been a minute, thought I would update.
I planted outside early because I messed up the potted soil. I gave each plant a 30 lumen solar light to compensate for being planted out early season.
48 hours after planting outside we had a hailstorm the size of marbles. Incredibly, not one plant suffered damage. Very lucky. That was on the ninth.
Watered on the 12th. Then, on the 15th it started raining. Today makes 5 days in a row it’s rained.
I have driven by the outside of the garden a couple times and everything looks okay. So muddy I don’t want to go in!
19CEDF51 7326 43AA 964D A6108F03022A
098797A2 C199 4DC4 B9F6 3531A1A6837F

A few of them show signs of growth.
It’s gonna be one of those years, lol.
Caught this awesome rainbow yesterday. Notice the Pine bark beetle killed trees.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Been a minute, thought I would update.
I planted outside early because I messed up the potted soil. I gave each plant a 30 lumen solar light to compensate for being planted out early season.
48 hours after planting outside we had a hailstorm the size of marbles. Incredibly, not one plant suffered damage. Very lucky. That was on the ninth.
Watered on the 12th. Then, on the 15th it started raining. Today makes 5 days in a row it’s rained.
I have driven by the outside of the garden a couple times and everything looks okay. So muddy I don’t want to go in! View attachment 871278View attachment 871279

A few of them show signs of growth.
It’s gonna be one of those years, lol.
Caught this awesome rainbow yesterday. Notice the Pine bark beetle killed trees.

This rain is crap and I'm way South of you (North San Diego county). I spent yesterday watering our fruit trees and wake up to rain.

I've never had mold in the past but currently have three females 2 weeks into flower (2 in greenhouse, 1 outside with a male) so who knows, this could be my first time. Not looking forward to it.

Personally I would have dug the holes deeper. I do that depth the old fashioned way and line them with chicken wire to piss off the gophers. Just my 2 cents. 😉

BudBogart

BudBogart

This rain is crap and I'm way South of you (North San Diego county). I spent yesterday watering our fruit trees and wake up to rain.

I've never had mold in the past but currently have three females 2 weeks into flower (2 in greenhouse, 1 outside with a male) so who knows, this could be my first time. Not looking forward to it.

Personally I would have dug the holes deeper. I do that depth the old fashioned way and line them with chicken wire to piss off the gophers. Just my 2 cents. 😉

I wish the holes could be deeper also, but I’ve got health issues that prevent me from doing a lot of hand digging. These are as deep as my bucket would dig, maybe 20 inches down. I took 1 1/2 yards out of each hole, but yes, wider not deeper.
No matter the size of the hole, I always want to make them bigger, wider, deeper. When I bought this place 10 years ago I used a 8 inch post hole digger on the back of a tractor. Then I would chip out with a bar until it was 2 feet wide.
When I got serious and dug my 600 squares I started 3 feet wide and 6 feet apart, 2 feet deep., all by shovel. The next season I dug them out to 4 feet, still 2 feet deep.
Some of my friends use cages to prevent rodent damage, it’s a good idea, and I would have done so if I had the energy! I’ve just so far been lucky, although we do have several holes from forest furries in the garden. Knock on wood.
Thanks for looking and please keep the recommendations coming.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I wish the holes could be deeper also, but I’ve got health issues that prevent me from doing a lot of hand digging. These are as deep as my bucket would dig, maybe 20 inches down. I took 1 1/2 yards out of each hole, but yes, wider not deeper.
No matter the size of the hole, I always want to make them bigger, wider, deeper. When I bought this place 10 years ago I used a 8 inch post hole digger on the back of a tractor. Then I would chip out with a bar until it was 2 feet wide.
When I got serious and dug my 600 squares I started 3 feet wide and 6 feet apart, 2 feet deep., all by shovel. The next season I dug them out to 4 feet, still 2 feet deep.
Some of my friends use cages to prevent rodent damage, it’s a good idea, and I would have done so if I had the energy! I’ve just so far been lucky, although we do have several holes from forest furries in the garden. Knock on wood.
Thanks for looking and please keep the recommendations coming.

I'm really looking forward to your trees. NOTHING like growing outside in the dirt. Growth can be several inches a frickin' day during the summer! You can actually see the growth from morning to evening. It amazes me every year with several species of plants.

I currently have four about 10 weeks in the ground. As soon as we can get sun and warmth they'll take off. I really hate this weather. Last year my babies were double this size by now but I expect this years crop to have an incredible root structure and may even let one grow w/o topping. We'll see as these babies can grow big here and I don't want to advertise what I'm growing.

20190518 123116
20190518 123140
Diane11

Diane11

It’s 4/20, seems like the right time to start a grow journal.

I will be growing outdoors in the Sierra mountain foothills.

I have started some seeds, several different strains from different breeders like HSO, Dina Fem, Barneys Farm, etc. I plan on growing 12 plants in pretty good sized holes.

I made a box to house a 2*4 t5HO 8 lamp fixture. I use a 2*4 wagon to hold the seedlings/young plants. The wagon holds about 21 one gallon pots, 42 plants if I use smaller square pots, but I don’t like the root formation out of a square pot.

The pots sit on a heating pad and the t5 s should keep things warm except for periods of darkness. The box has a fan at the back that blows air under the lights and across the plants.

I hope you all will join me and help keep me on the right road to a bountiful harvest.

Happy 4/20 to all.View attachment 866938View attachment 866939View attachment 866940View attachment 866941View attachment 866942
So nice to see you still doing your thing @BudBogart !! Looking forward to watching your grows..😁

Diane11

Diane11

Thank you so much. Are you the farmer that was growing some of your moms seeds out from back in the day?
Yup!! That would be me😊 working on my first hydro grow so ive been in and out of the farm a lot lately... you guys are stuck with me now though,..loving this hydro style of grow too much, and everyone is super duper sweet and helpful and I’m learning so much, so this is definitely the place for me, lol😉 Nice talking to you, definitely see you around @BudBogart ✌🏼

BudBogart

BudBogart

Never have I ever had such continuous stormy weather from a heavy snow fall in February through the end of May, but the sun is finally out!
I’ve been waiting to give them a foliage spray of nitrogen to try and get the roots to grow into better soil. I did that two days ago so hopefully they will show progress when I check them today. I will get pictures while I’m up there, but they are not as large as I would have hoped this year.
Also, I weeded the holes, of course, but the rest of the garden weeds have gone crazy with rains. Time to get busy.

BudBogart

BudBogart

I got all of the cages built and on the plants. I added blood meal as a top dress and today I will scratch it in. If I don’t scratch in top dressing it all floats off when I water. The cages are 6 feet tall and 3 foot diameter. The cage holes are 4x6” so I will be able to stick my hands through the cages for trimming, harvesting, etc.
I was using 2x4” holes much harder to work with. That’s why I treated myself to new cages.
I also started weeding the rest of the garden. Not too bad early in the morning.
I bought a port-a potty for down at the creek. We are letting some people get married here this weekend! They will bring tents and stuff and camp out for a couple of nights. A pain in the butt for us, but how do we say no? Lots of people won’t want to drive their cars down to the creek, it’s very rough, so I will need to transport them back and forth on the UTV. Wish us luck.

0465477F D19F 419D 8B7A FBD03228DA1B
5462C2C6 E545 4088 A2DE 14D892E4C440
CB411A59 0A81 4587 8C5D C5BF325BBB43
7A0E5F10 429C 4C03 802C CFFCBBBF9371
D12DB274 CB9E 4DC4 8AD4 233A2460C2B3

BudBogart

BudBogart

Got the weeding under control, finally. I ont know why my energy I so low. The long winter really threw off my plans.
I still plan on making some biochar, probably from oak branches and soaking in EWC to load it up, but this season is going so fast that I guess I am looking at next years crop to make major additions to the soil.
I am still using the nice pond water for occasional watering. Loaded with frog poo, can’t buy that, lol. Foliar sprayed sea based nitrogen and micro nutrients yesterday, watered today.
They are all doing well. Starting to be long enough to pull through the cage.

7832587E B7CC 4697 8CCF FD72609FEC90
7C34B872 3F6E 43E4 AA9F 61B13271D263
1FEFD0B0 DD4A 4414 B00E 95CB5D951770
C31B3B0D DB00 4CD3 B986 7813AE8719AA
BudBogart

BudBogart

I wrote this way earlier. I think I forgot to post...

Due to crowding issues, I dug new holes last year. I used my tractor bucket so the holes are 5 feet wide. I went about 4 foot long and 18-20 inches down.
They are 8 feet center to center now. I am pushing the legal grow area as it is.
I have 12 holes. I bought 18 yards of the best stuff available to me in bulk. It includes EWC, Bat guano and good stuff like that (you will learn my memory ain’t for shit, one of the reasons I like you all looking over my shoulder). So each hole is 1 1/2 yards of store bought. I then have bulk blood meal, bone meal and kelp to tweak the NPK as we grow. This year I bought 1000 pounds of choice EWC (a cubic yard). I plan on incorporating it into the holes ASAP but the orchard is just now getting dry enough to work in. Last year I finished those tractor holes by the end of March, for comparisons.

My property is pretty nice for growing.. it is at the end of a long, private road that helps with privacy. We cannot see our neighbors. It is mostly a mountain of overgrown oak, cedar, fir and pine forest that has really never been messed with. I enjoy harvesting fully decayed compost and insect frass and incorporating it, but the older I get, the less I get done. I have made bio char for my holes, but not yet for these newer holes. I also like to water the young plants with water from our artesian pond, teeming with poly wag poo, lol.

The plants are in a deer proof orchard with well water available. I also have a 250 gallon water tank for teas and what have you. I still need to get that leveled, an adapter, etc.

Top Bottom