Garden Grow

• Thread starter BudBogart
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BudBogart

BudBogart

It’s 4/20, seems like the right time to start a grow journal.

I will be growing outdoors in the Sierra mountain foothills.

I have started some seeds, several different strains from different breeders like HSO, Dina Fem, Barneys Farm, etc. I plan on growing 12 plants in pretty good sized holes.

I made a box to house a 2*4 t5HO 8 lamp fixture. I use a 2*4 wagon to hold the seedlings/young plants. The wagon holds about 21 one gallon pots, 42 plants if I use smaller square pots, but I don’t like the root formation out of a square pot.

The pots sit on a heating pad and the t5 s should keep things warm except for periods of darkness. The box has a fan at the back that blows air under the lights and across the plants.

I hope you all will join me and help keep me on the right road to a bountiful harvest.

Happy 4/20 to all.
Garden grow
Garden grow 2
Garden grow 3
Garden grow 4
Garden grow 5

B

Burned Haze

Good luck! Only factor I see right now is limited lighting (lighting is one of the keys to success ) and that might promote streteching with the plants not under under the t5.

Maybe intill more lights bought/installed what you could do is every 12-24hours swap out the plants not under the lights and swap them under with some direct light .

BudBogart

BudBogart

Good luck! Only factor I see right now is limited lighting (lighting is one of the keys to success ) and that might promote streteching with the plants not under under the t5.

Maybe intill more lights bought/installed what you could do is every 12-24hours swap out the plants not under the lights and swap them under with some direct light .

Thanks for watching out, but the plants slide back under the lights and I close a door. The wagon is 2 x4 feet, same as the T5 8 bulb. Every pot is directly under light when put away.
I just pull the wagon out to catch some morning rays., like taking the kids to the park.

BudBogart

BudBogart

Letting them get a taste of fresh air and some morning sun.
The seeds were started on 4/2 with more seeds started later. They were started in water and placed in the pots once the tails showed. It takes a couple days for the seeds to break ground this way so I plan for it. Planting longer tails may pop them a day earlier.

Beautiful 63% f in the shade. I will put them back out of the sun before the afternoon heat. Good chance we will have to put them away in the box due to snow before the season really gets under way here.

127522B5 D793 46A9 A85D F3A7599CD08C
F9399CBA DBD9 4907 8D01 94979DDB254A
5DBD7525 D9DB 4357 8515 0A09CA20AEAB
D153C7CD E7FC 4615 8EB7 36A5CB320383
D01EA438 34DC 42FD 8F62 7FC614BF673F
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Awesome. This reminds me of my outdoor growing days back in the 90's on the east coast.

I'm growing some outdoor this year for the first time in many years since a buddy donated some classic mighty mite seeds. Coastal British Columbia where I'm at is not really the greatest place for growing pot outdoors due to the rainy humid fall weather. That is unless you use early flowering, sensitive photoperiod plants or autoflowers.

Looking forward to following this grow!
How do you prepare your grow holes?

BudBogart

BudBogart

Awesome. This reminds me of my outdoor growing days back in the 90's on the east coast.

I'm growing some outdoor this year for the first time in many years since a buddy donated some classic mighty mite seeds. Coastal British Columbia where I'm at is not really the greatest place for growing pot outdoors due to the rainy humid fall weather. That is unless you use early flowering, sensitive photoperiod plants or autoflowers.

Due to crowding issues, I dug new holes last year. I used my tractor bucket so the holes are 5 feet wide. I went about 4 foot long and 18-20 inches down.
They are 8 feet center to center now. I am pushing the legal grow area as it is.
I have 12 holes. I bought 18 yards of the best stuff available to me in bulk. It includes EWC, Bat guano and good stuff like that (you will learn my memory ain’t for shit, one of the reasons I like you all looking over my shoulder). So each hole is 1 1/2 yards of store bought. I then have bulk blood meal, bone meal and kelp to tweak the NPK as we grow. This year I bought 1000 pounds of choice EWC (a cubic yard). I plan on incorporating it into the holes ASAP but the orchard is just now getting dry enough to work in. Last year I finished those tractor holes by the end of March, for comparisons.

My property is pretty nice for growing.. it is at the end of a long, private road that helps with privacy. We cannot see our neighbors. It is mostly a mountain of overgrown oak, cedar, fir and pine forest that has really never been messed with. I enjoy harvesting fully decayed compost and insect frass and incorporating it, but the older I get, the less I get done. I have made bio char for my holes, but not yet for these newer holes. I also like to water the young plants with water from our artesian pond, teeming with poly wag poo, lol.

The plants are in a deer proof orchard with well water available. I also have a 250 gallon water tank for teas and what have you. I still need to get that leveled, an adapter, etc.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Due to crowding issues, I dug new holes last year. I used my tractor bucket so the holes are 5 feet wide. I went about 4 foot long and 18-20 inches down.
They are 8 feet center to center now. I am pushing the legal grow area as it is.
I have 12 holes. I bought 18 yards of the best stuff available to me in bulk. It includes EWC, Bat guano and good stuff like that (you will learn my memory ain’t for shit, one of the reasons I like you all looking over my shoulder). So each hole is 1 1/2 yards of store bought. I then have bulk blood meal, bone meal and kelp to tweak the NPK as we grow. This year I bought 1000 pounds of choice EWC (a cubic yard). I plan on incorporating it into the holes ASAP but the orchard is just now getting dry enough to work in. Last year I finished those tractor holes by the end of March, for comparisons.

My property is pretty nice for growing.. it is at the end of a long, private road that helps with privacy. We cannot see our neighbors. It is mostly a mountain of overgrown oak, cedar, fir and pine forest that has really never been messed with. I enjoy harvesting fully decayed compost and insect frass and incorporating it, but the older I get, the less I get done. I have made bio char for my holes, but not yet for these newer holes. I also like to water the young plants with water from our artesian pond, teeming with poly wag poo, lol.

The plants are in a deer proof orchard with well water available. I also have a 250 gallon water tank for teas and what have you. I still need to get that leveled, an adapter, etc.

Very, very nice man. You clearly know what you're doing, and now I'm really interested in following this thread lol.
May the garden gods be on your side.

BudBogart

BudBogart

The crowding issues I have mentioned. 600 square feet, as allowed by county code.
The new holes started last year are dug in a line. 8 feet apart but open unlimited on the sunny side.
The holes were dug with a tractor bucket, but then I had to finish them with a bar and shovel on the sides.
591DF05F BF58 4721 A972 149AFCBD5D7C
BF5DCE88 3120 433C A52B CA85DE8E74DD

BudBogart

BudBogart

A strange seedling, 707 Headband with a bell like top on it. I thought it had no hope, but laterals started so I pinched off the bell and we will hope for the best. At this point she way behind seeds planted at the same time.
Today I gave them all a light feeding with Peruvian gold, aka llama poop. It’s been warm and they were ready for water.
I also started a 5 gallon bucket of water with a bag of EWC and a air bubbler . Very basic setup as is most of my stuff.
Feeling lucky thing are progressing nicely.
I need to get working in the garden. First, I’ve had to grade the winter off of the dirt road leading out. Today I washed 6 months of winter off my truck and UTV...I am running out of excuses. If I do one hole per day I am looking at mid May to be ready.
F0908A02 3B59 4843 9E8F 5B04C1D3258B
04020FDA 3BA0 4692 8727 083B6240D20A

BudBogart

BudBogart

Beautiful morning in the Sierra foothills. Yesterday I watered the girls with EWC soaked water and they blew up overnight! I need to raise the lights today.
Also, yesterday I pulled the weeds from all of the holes, easier than I thought.
I started adding azomite, dried kelp, blood meal, a bit of compost to raise holes where needed and, of course, EWC. My helper Minnie helps till it all in.
I haven’t tested the holes ph yet, I will do so today.
D000B598 980B 4C13 BB06 CFC4FF0DEE30
B9BD7B4E 5E9B 49B2 BEAA 3E93E778DE9A
E8A585B2 A041 4B01 83E8 B0CCCD255A17
2CCC4270 D025 4441 BB99 B3BF584C7CD9
AB2785BD 32D8 45F7 9C07 D2386275510C

BudBogart

BudBogart

We have a wonderful season, sunny right now, just waiting for enough natural daylight, but snow can still occur so we need to be careful. . We can usually make it into later October before the garden won’t dry after it rains. With proper caging then netting we can withstand most storms. We have had a couple plants snap halfway up, including the cage and stakes, but wth, we are in it to win it, lol. We almost always start harvesting in front of an oncoming storm, take what’s ready and ride out the rest.

BudBogart

BudBogart

Turkey Bags in Food grade buckets with Gamma Seal lids for curing once using mason jars becomes an overwhelming responsibility.
Once cured, stored in mason jars in cardboard box with lids. Empty mason jars stored on the left. We can tell the seasons by watching the jars migrate to the left.

97F975F5 38AB 46B8 89C4 0A7D5261F7E8
EF064341 7EDC 4A67 A5E1 6521993FF002
BudBogart

BudBogart

Overhead fan is very gentle. Dehumidifier May be needed when drying if we are being hit with storms. Don’t worry, I don’t plan on speed drying.
We have a food saver, nice but we have to be careful. I don’t like sucking the buds down to rock hard nug.
A label machine is great. Every other method to mark labels fades on us.
We like to sit out here and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere.
An air conditioner is next. I have insulated all sides, roof, etc, so we shouldn’t be too bad once we get air.
Lastly, we have a couple of trimmers. A basic bowl trimmer, good for trimming stuff that would otherwise get tossed.
An electric wet trimmer. I haven’t used it yet. I hope it will let us take something off before hand trimming. If you have experience with a basic wet trimmer please share.
570B5662 5FC1 4FCF 90DB C447914136F6
25015EC9 D95B 4C6D B17F F80FD39F99D2
B2298E7D 043A 4FD8 A0A1 138D0EC6F16D
619CF7B1 FCE5 4F58 BD13 0820C27B012E
E61A1227 94AF 429E 91FA DE487CC1F6E2
411A759B EB77 4F8F BADD 56267488FD83

BudBogart

BudBogart

Haven’t posted recently because I am unhappy with the seedling progress.
The soil blend that I made turned up with serious flaws.
I fucked up and put an entire box of oyster shell in the potting mix instead of tbl spoons. I tried fixing that by adding more soil, diluting the oyster as best I could.
I also used way too much perlite and pumice in the mix.
I wound up with a corse mix nothing like what I wanted, but I used it.
The plants look limp and light green. The roots however, look healthy.
In order to fix the potting soil issue I decided to transplant them to their permanent holes and hopefully they will grow out of the bad soil.
I have a few plants growing in basic Dr. Earth soil and the difference is noticeable.
I’ve been through worse. Wish me luck.
CD02AB00 5578 47A6 ACA2 B666CE16E5EF
F9F8BA93 EF7D 4E35 ABEA 22FC5A3FF817

Top Bottom