Gauging when to Flush on unknown strain...?

• Thread starter Swany
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Swany

Swany

I have read enough to know when the plants are ready for harvest, I believe. What I have not been able to learn through reading is how to tell when the buds are close enough to ripe to start the final flush. I'm 2 days into Week 8. The plants have lots of trichomes but the heads do not look that big. They all still appear clear. Little white hairs are all darker brown/orange.

How do you tell when to flush? At the first hint of amber trichome? Any input would help ;-}

These images are pretty large (if they uploaded full res) so Right Click and select 'open as new tab' to check one at a time.

Gauging when to flush on unknown strain Gauging when to flush on unknown strain 2 Gauging when to flush on unknown strain 3 Gauging when to flush on unknown strain 4 Gauging when to flush on unknown strain 5 Gauging when to flush on unknown strain 6 Gauging when to flush on unknown strain 7

shawnskush

shawnskush

start flushing now the indica dom blue city diesels would most likely be done in 8 to 9 weeks and the cinex in 9 to 10. extra flush time will not affect quality nearly as much as an inadequate flush on top of the fact the flush will help the plant ripen.

P

paulycali

You got a scope? I like to harvest when 90% of the trichomes are milky white and 10% are amber. That's just me as everyone has there own preference. Clear trichomes will produce a more racy uppity high but if you wait till there's lots of amber then you will have that stoney body high. Some people harvest most of trichomes are milky with some clear ones. All depends what you like. Take it early it might smell better but not be as stoney. Take it later it may smell less but be way stonier. It's all a personal preference. That's when to harvest. Now when to flush you we usually go by our 8-10 week schedule. For a true flush start 2 weeks prior to apprx. harvest time. Flush for a minimum of 1 week. Hope that helps you out a bit. Good luck and i hope for the best. Oh yeah. Nice looking nugshots :)

Swany

Swany

start flushing now the indica dom blue city diesels would most likely be done in 8 to 9 weeks and the cinex in 9 to 10. extra flush time will not affect quality nearly as much as an inadequate flush on top of the fact the flush will help the plant ripen.

Thanks for the input, I will start flush tonight. Both are tied to the same res so the Cnx will get a little more if it does infact take longer. Do you by chance know much about the Cnx, or Cinex? I don't and will not be able to learn from the source. On line searches have not netted much on that strain yet... (edit - with the spelling you used I found a bunch of stuff ;-} Cindy 99 and Vortex cross with a happy high and pain relief: perfect)

Do you recommend anything to help flush? I know Tty uses 2gr sugar and 2gr Epson per gallon. I have a jug of Pure Blend flush 'cause I've been following their formula and I figure I might as well use it then try Tty's next run. What say you?

Did I mention how well you spell your name? I do the same ;-}

Swany

Swany

You got a scope?

Not yet. I use a pair of large magnifiers to get a close look. Used one with the camera to take the pictures ;-} I used one of the $20 scopes that seem to be prevelent on line but think they are junk. I'm looking for one of better quality without a three digit price tag. I have a real nice one for inspecting the ends of fiber optic cable after termination but I can't get it to work for buds without some new end piece... Any suggestions other than a USB scope?

shawnskush

shawnskush

Thanks for the input, I will start flush tonight. Both are tied to the same res so the Cnx will get a little more if it does infact take longer. Do you by chance know much about the Cnx, or Cinex? I don't and will not be able to learn from the source. On line searches have not netted much on that strain yet... (edit - with the spelling you used I found a bunch of stuff ;-} Cindy 99 and Vortex cross with a happy high and pain relief: perfect)

Do you recommend anything to help flush? I know Tty uses 2gr sugar and 2gr Epson per gallon. I have a jug of Pure Blend flush 'cause I've been following their formula and I figure I might as well use it then try Tty's next run. What say you?

Did I mention how well you spell your name? I do the same ;-}

As far as I know cinex is the vortex cindy cross sativa dom medium to heavy stretcher havent grown it personally but I have smoked some pretty nice buds of it. I dont use anything other than molasses for the first week of flush then just plain ol water for the last week sometimes up to 2 weeks. For longer flowering strains i shoot for a 3 week flush but thats just my personal preference.Im not familiar with pure blend flush unluss you mean clearex salt leaching solution which I found to be extremely harsh on the girls for long periods so i would recommend caution when using. Is there any other way to spell our name correctly? ;)

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

Trichomes will mature in the cure jar. Light air and time all add up to amber trichomes. If you store loose unpressed hash in a jar, you can watch it cure in tandem with your buds to determine when everything is right for you. After that point stop burping the jars and keep everything in the dark until your ready to smoke it.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I have read enough to know when the plants are ready for harvest, I believe. What I have not been able to learn through reading is how to tell when the buds are close enough to ripe to start the final flush. I'm 2 days into Week 8. The plants have lots of trichomes but the heads do not look that big. They all still appear clear. Little white hairs are all darker brown/orange.

How do you tell when to flush? At the first hint of amber trichome? Any input would help ;-}

These images are pretty large (if they uploaded full res) so Right Click and select 'open as new tab' to check one at a time.

View attachment 330051 View attachment 330052 View attachment 330053 View attachment 330054 View attachment 330055 View attachment 330056 View attachment 330057

I basically watch the nitrogen mobilize to the middle... The outsides of these plants were full green three weeks before i started cutting back nutrients gradually ...all plants are different but all plants normally stop eating towards end of harvest and you ll no your not over feeding when you see the plants get shades lighter from the perimeter of the plant and right before harvest the only thing green are nuggs! Hope that helps... Peace

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

View attachment 330051 View attachment 330052 View attachment 330053 View attachment 330054 View attachment 330055 View attachment 330056 View attachment 330057
If your growing for yield wait for 100% cloud then taper or cease nutrients and for flavor taper or cease at 10% cloudy i your growing for potency you may need to have a few runs in and document results and all that is in my experience i have no references or botany cut and pastes lol peace and have a great time learning your plants dood!

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

I basically watch the nitrogen mobilize to the middle... The outsides of these plants were full green three weeks before i started cutting back nutrients gradually ...all plants are different but all plants normally stop eating towards end of harvest and you ll no your not over feeding when you see the plants get shades lighter from the perimeter of the plant and right before harvest the only thing green are nuggs! Hope that helps... Peace

I really like this description. Its simple.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Thanx panda and i can add that if plant appears to not be finishing up or dying (fall colors) then its locked up and after the flush theres fresh flowers growing usually foxtail buds... My two pennies peace out

Swany

Swany

Im not familiar with pure blend flush unluss you mean clearex salt leaching solution which I found to be extremely harsh on the girls for long periods so i would recommend caution when using. Is there any other way to spell our name correctly? ;)
Yes - and I used the last as I flushed out 150 gallons last night, got ppm down to 440. Tomorrow I will flush out another 100 - 150 and not use Clearex at all. My system has about 150 gallons in it and due to commandeering the drain for the dehue it's easier to just flush the main res multiple times, the main res being a 55 gl barrel. I can only dilute the solution, not easily drain it completely. Next run I will fix that.... Thanks for the input ;-}

Swany

Swany

I basically watch the nitrogen mobilize to the middle ... right before harvest the only thing green are nuggs! Hope that helps... Peace
Sweet - I'm starting to notice sugar leaves curl, but not really lighten. Would this be something similar?

I want good potent bud, though my intention is to grow for profit. I've already started to reduce nutes based on earlier feed back. I will take a good look at the tri's tomorrow maybe adjust further based on look. I've not heard about a yield/potency tendency based on tri color - thanks

shawnskush

shawnskush

Sweet - I'm starting to notice sugar leaves curl, but not really lighten. Would this be something similar?

I want good potent bud, though my intention is to grow for profit. I've already started to reduce nutes based on earlier feed back. I will take a good look at the tri's tomorrow maybe adjust further based on look. I've not heard about a yield/potency tendency based on tri color - thanks

trich color doesnt affect yield the way it does potency. the more amber the more couch lock the stone FWIW.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Well the t

riceomes

The trics turning cluody mean that crystal production is past its peak and amber mean crystal production has come to a hault
There fore if your growing for profit or yield then it would be my best gauge of when to stop feeding because i highly doubt there would be floweral production after peak crystal production but hey thats just some more of my caveman mentality take it with a rock of salt peace

Swany

Swany

trich color doesnt affect yield the way it does potency. the more amber the more couch lock the stone FWIW.
I personaly like the lighter more sativa high for recreation, when I hurt and it's late the heavier stone is better. Though I skip the couch and go strait to bed ;-} It seems the couch is where most people buying want to end up though so I'll be harvesting when I see some color. This is my first run though - I'm going to experiment and pull some each day the minute I see amber...

Swany

Swany

The trics turning cloudy mean that crystal production is past its peak and amber mean crystal production has come to a hault
There fore if your growing for profit or yield then it would be my best gauge of when to stop feeding because i highly doubt there would be floweral production after peak crystal production but hey that's just some more of my caveman mentality take it with a rock of salt peace
Use to know a guy in high school, think his name was Caesey. His nickname was Caveman 'cause he never wore shoes and his feet were thicker skinned than rhino rumps. He was pretty savvy also ;-} I want to pull after flower production has stopped, and I want it well flushed by then. I would assume the high or med bennies will not increase at this point so why not pull it? There for I need to start flush before then.

How long does it usualy take from when you first start seeing cloudiness to when you start seeing amber?

Top Bottom