GDP First plant grow diary

• Thread starter BobHasBurgers
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BobHasBurgers

BobHasBurgers

First time grower attempting to finish first plant ever! A few details that may help others assess my current first grow. Originally had 2 plants in this tent but discovered the gifted Revolver seed was an Auto and moved to separate tent. This left me with the scrogged one plant currently in tent. Plant is Grand Daddy Purple grown from seed (seed bank based in California). Did some late LST as I learned about it as I went! Thought I knew more than I actually do! The more I learned about maximizing yield on the lovely plant, I confirmed I didn't know SQUAT about this plant!!!! So I scrambled to regain some control of the plant with stretchy trellis netting, adjustments in pH, RO water, nutrients, LST, HST, root supplements, and on and on! Man, what a racket and learning curve but this is exciting! Looking forward to doing better and better...

10-20-21 - Seed germinated and planted in party cup.

Transplanted 3 times between solo party cup, 1 Gal, 3 Gal, and 7 Gal. plastic pots.

Used Botanicare Products:
* Pure Blend Pro (Veg)
* Cal-Mag (Veg)
* Silica Blast (Veg)
* Great White Mycorrhizae
* Pure Blend Pro Bloom Formula (Bloom)
* Cannazym and Canna Boost (Bloom)
* Ph adjusted RO water
* Soil includes Hydrofarm Light Warrior Soilless Mix for clones and seedlings
* Fox Farm Ocean Forest and worm castings for all other potted plant stages.

General equipment:

* Lighting: Spider Farmer S2000
* 2x4x6 grow tent
* AC Infinity Air Fan and Filter
* CO2 tank with solenoid valve and Autopilot meter aiming for (1200 ppm)

Updates coming soon!

Gdp first plant grow diary
Gdp first plant grow diary 2
Gdp first plant grow diary 3
Gdp first plant grow diary 4
Gdp first plant grow diary 5
Gdp first plant grow diary 6
Gdp first plant grow diary 7
Gdp first plant grow diary 8
Gdp first plant grow diary 9
Gdp first plant grow diary 10
Gdp first plant grow diary 11
Gdp first plant grow diary 12
BobHasBurgers

BobHasBurgers

102 days from seed germination, I cut down this beautiful plant. Following behind her are 9 of her potential GDP clones. Determined this the best time to cut based on fellow growers average consensus, actual plant age, visual appearance as it progressed, and finally 30%+ ambler trichome development. I cut plant into 6 main sections. Two pieces per hanger and into a 2x2x48 tent. After a full day, hygrometer reads 47RH & 75% F. Will dry for 10-12 days? Snap test will tell. Wide mouth large Ball curing jars are ready :)
I have no idea what this one plant will yield but once dried and cured I'll follow up with weigh in! No matter the outcome, I'm already very pleased and lucky to get it this far man.

I've improved lighting for current grow with a second spider farmer light to veg tent for combined pulling 300W in 4x2x60

Updates soon!

IMG 9951

IMG 9961

IMG 9952

IMG 9954

IMG 9955

IMG 9959

BobHasBurgers

BobHasBurgers

On subject of drying tent RH, who uses a controller to maintain RH when away for a few hours?
I have a couple of these Airfare units at home but this unit doesn't seem to be a set it and forget it type humidifier. The remote shows it would be but I've tried and it sits there doing nothing after it shuts off and I'm watching a hygrometer show humidity dropping back down to general 40% range. So I return to it several times a day to crank it back on! Oy vey! Man, the racket involved. And can you believe I'm going to do this shit all over again because I really want to! And do it better!
But back to the RH incident, this is an area that I need to focus on for now and improve on for next grow. What is everyone else doing to maintain that sweet spot RH during the drying period inside a grow tent?

Aircare
BobHasBurgers

BobHasBurgers

A couple of hours into the adjustment and I'm maintaining steady 53-55RH. Had to rig the setup with open intake on side of tent and humidifier on floor and set on lowest setting while aimed at intake with circulating carbon filter fan on medium. The one gallon humidifier can go all day. Will check hourly to make sure it doesn't go higher but last couple of hours have been a pretty good indicator until next stage of improvement. Will be sealing off this little closet that holds drying tent and raising closet room RH to 55-60% during drying. I found the intake is enough to raise RH to 50-55%.

IMG 9996

BobHasBurgers

BobHasBurgers

For first 2 days, my drying tent had hovered around 40RH/73F, not ideal parameters in or out of tent while drying. Heck, I'd rather keep it simple and do less during the grow. Consensus seems to be 60RH/60ish temp. For those drying with average 60/60, better drying time and certainly less chance of over drying before curing. I'm resolving this humidity issue by sealing off that little closet space with a walkthrough plastic magnetic curtain since its an open space. Whenever RH needs to be adjusted, I'll simply dial in the humidifier and closet space to percentage which takes care of the tent. Parameters are looking great this morning and buds are spongy :) All good fun in pursuit of slow and steady drying.

Last edited:
BobHasBurgers

BobHasBurgers

Okay, let's all ugly cry together hollering "It F'n worked! It F'n worked!"
4.3oz./122g. into the jars today. Yes, that hay smell went away last couple of days. Trimmed but I really like a little bit of leaf on my buds so I did. Jars smelling different and much improved! Can't believe I got this far with this first grow but OH SO VERY GRATEFUL! I appreciate everyone's input and suggestions along the way! Ya'll have been very patient with me and rock solid wonderful. Will follow up soon with ongoing curing, upcoming smoke, and next harvest.

IMG 0011

Really pleased with size of larger pieces. Actually, can't believe it's here...

IMG 0014

BobHasBurgers

BobHasBurgers

Had a sample smoke yesterday evening. What began as a light euphoric effect evolved into much more. Initially noticed how smooth and cough free majority of smoke was. Mighty proud at that moment. Really amazed at the smoothness! I was there during the grow and regulated all nutrients and ongoing PPM levels. No junk left in this plant by the time I cut her down. I wondered if it was all I would feel since I grew it myself. At the moment I was still doubting myself and the quality of weed I had grown. That was 2 hits off a little one hitter pipe.

Immediately decided it was best and certainly time to break out the wide bottom decanter style water pipe pictured below! Packed a 14mm bowl and smoked away. Starts with a euphoric mental high. I knew it was Indica dominant so wasn't sure how long any minor Sativa effects would last before the couch lock if any. Remember, I was still doubting the quality. The head high was as strong as anything else I've smoked recently (mostly indica dominant strains) but much longer!

A potent head to toe high. Sat down to catch up on Season 3 Episode ? of TV series 'High Maintenance'. Yeah, I'm still trying to finish that show. I'm a busy guy ya know and terrible at finishing any series in reasonable time. Haven't even started 'Game of Thrones' yet. Did I make some of you scream with that? Yep.

The head and body high progressed into a strong comfortably numb paradise. This was a strong sensation folks. Then a voracious munchies apatite! OMFG! Went through remaining half a Family pack of Oreos leaving three or four to feel better about myself. Followed by 2 boiled eggs in the fridge. Followed by microwaved slice of Lasagna. Chased all of it down with fruit punch, Coca Cola, and Bubbly Cucumber water. These were the fun foods that were immediately within my reach at the time. Remember, I had doubts that I would get stoned.

Next, I wanted to lay in bed watching YouTube TV and YouTube in general. Laying there I tuned into several subscription channels and found myself in and out of consciousness. Very comfortable and rested. Slept like a log. Woke up this morning at 4:30 am fully charged and ready to start my day! No hangover or drowsiness. Any minor aches or early morning difficulties gone. Sprang out of bed fully rested unlike any over the counter nightime sleep aids which leave me groggy for half the morning.

I am humbled and amazed! Just in the last year, I've sampled some 15 different strains from suppliers.

I don't want to say this here or anywhere, but this first grow is some of the best fuckin' weed I've ever smoked. Kicked my butt for remainder of the evening.

Thank You GDP
smile.png

This is the result of a cannabis community coming together to help a first time grower. I was there when asking the questions and seeking advice and directive on what to do next at every stage of grow. I was there sorting through advice and finding what fit me best. We were all there when it came time to cut here down, dry, and now curing.

Thank You all for helping and teaching me achieve these results!

Next generation lining up now. Had these seedling and GDP clones going in another small grow tent while I finished my first GDP plant. Trying to calculate (with nothing going wrong) from seed, when to start growing or cloning for next rotation was not easy for this first time grower. I figured I can always get rid of a plant or two vs. not having enough and waiting for plants to grow. These seedlings include:
Grand Daddy Purple (clones), White Widow, Bubba Kush, Jack herer, Mendo Purp, and Blue Dream.

Really focusing on getting that Jack herer going with it's Sativa dominant effects.
From Leafy:
"Jack Herer, also known as "JH," "The Jack," "Premium Jack," and "Platinum Jack" is a sativa-dominant marijuana strain that has gained as much renown as its namesake, the marijuana activist and author of The Emperor Wears No Clothes. Combining a Hazehybrid with a Northern Lights #5 and Shiva Skunk cross, Sensi Seeds created Jack Herer hoping to capture both cerebral elevation and heavy resin production. Its rich genetic background gives rise to several different variations of Jack Herer, each phenotype bearing its own unique features and effects. However, consumers typically describe this 55% sativa hybrid as blissful, clear-headed, and creative.

Jack Herer was created in the Netherlands in the mid-1990s, where it was later distributed by Dutch pharmacies as a recognized medical-grade strain. Since then, this spicy, pine-scented strain has taken home numerous awards for its quality and potency. Many breeders have attempted to cultivate this staple strain themselves in sunny or Mediterranean climates, and indoor growers should wait 50 to 70 days for Jack Herer to flower."

No matter what direction we take with next grow, updates coming soon!

IMG 0015

These seedlings include:
Grand Daddy Purple (clones), White Widow, Bubba Kush, Jack herer, Mendo Purp, and Blue Dream. Why so many? I know! I figured some wouldn't germinate while others might die or just bad quality and not moving forward with it/them. Well, everyone made it and soon to be repotted.

IMG 0009

BobHasBurgers

BobHasBurgers

I need a new dependable PPM meter! Originally had BlueLab Truncheon PPM meter and sent it back after breaking on 3rd use! Sent that one back to Amazon and never using that brand again as it has to be shipped to Zurich! Then I bought the MegaMeter PPM + PH meter. The PPM meter is reading whacked. Had to water today with Nutes and just went half the dose on everything till I get a new meter to gauge where I'm at with PPM reading. Any suggestions on next meter?

Happysmoke

Happysmoke

Nice grow man, looks like you managed to grow some nice bud. You did much better than I did on my first grow, I grew some dirt weed on my first attempt. Lol. It took a couple grows to get the dry/ cure down pretty good as well. Good luck and keep up the good work.

BobHasBurgers

BobHasBurgers

Happysmoke, thank you for the encouragement. Since I had never stood in the presence of this plant, you can imagine the adventure and ongoing doubts about taking the plant to harvest. It yielded 4 oz. dry. I had people guessing between 2 and 8 ounces. Now to work on improving that harvest.
Yesterday, while burping the two jars, I set aside two popcorn nugs for a smoke test.
Mind Blowing...

BobHasBurgers

BobHasBurgers

Recently purchased a cheaper PPM meter and decided to purchase another BlueLab Truncheon PPM meter stick. It was suggested I might of had a defective unit and if it were to go bad again, I'll be returning via Amazon. Interesting how the market mostly offers cheap inaccurate ppm meters (questionable readings and short life span) OR an expensive unit via BlueLab or similar company and product quality.
For example, with PH meters, you have a wide range of choices from GH PH up/down kits for $15 to thousands of $ for electronic meters. Within that range of PH meters you still have mid range price point say $65 to $100 for BlueLab PH meter.
With that out of the way, time to move on to the next grow! I have several things in Veg right now and will create a new post for each strain.

BobHasBurgers

BobHasBurgers

That first run was a lot of fun complete with ongoing self imposed dramatic anticipation. Yielded 3 oz. cured of over the top deliciousness. From original mother plant I'm now in week 1 flower with her clones, one Black Widow, and one Jack Herer. Will add link below to new topic for that grow here soon.

IMG 0264

BobHasBurgers

BobHasBurgers

UPDATE:
Just finished 3rd week of flower for second grow. I flipped several GDP clones from original first grow plant.
IMG 0707
IMG 0708

BobHasBurgers

BobHasBurgers

Within this second grow I'm also growing a couple of other strains including this White Widow.

IMG 0705
IMG 0706

BobHasBurgers

BobHasBurgers

Fattening up a bit. Flower week Fivish... GDP clones, White Widow, Bubba Kush, and Jack Herer! Narrowing down my preferred strains. During this second grow attempt I noticed I haven't written down every maintenance detail. Paying close attention to the weight of pots and days between watering. Also intentionally reduced the percentage of nutes as first grow had heavy PPM runoff.
IMG 0784
IMG 0783

Top Bottom