ge merlin ro

• Thread starter ogk1ng
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

ogk1ng

sup
so i ordered my ge merlin hella pumped to get it. so i install this bitch let her run for two hours and shes still putting out 90ppms. i already emailed the company. does any have a merlin? i love it, shes fast but not for 90ppms. i would rather take her back and replace the membranes in my stealth. someone please tell me theres still hope. you think i have defective membranes? they were sealed brand new. also lowest op is 40psi im at about 45 when running.

budboy299

budboy299

Not sure about the merlin itself but just some thoughts...

If you live somewhere where the water is cool, perhaps it is taking longer than normal to flush the preservative from the membranes?

budboy299

budboy299

oh and I don't think this is an issue but you never know...

If you let the system sit for a few days, the intial water will have TDS creep (their phrase). Probably best to run the system to waste for a min before filling up anyones reservoir.

O

ogk1ng

yeah i have ran luke warm water through it and at different pressures. still same issues. i figured this system would produce ultra clean water. my stealth with one old membrain is still putting out like 110 (why im replacing it). my water going in is at about 550. i want my water belowe 10 again like it used to be =/ is the merlin not as good as i thought?

ogk

O

ogk1ng

Really? So all merlins are like that? Gay. Shit does produce water hella fast. But then again I would rather have 100 ppms more of food and let a stage 5 run for 24 hours. I don't really need that much water but it was a nice thought. I think I'ma send this shit back and replace my membrane.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
sup
so i ordered my ge merlin hella pumped to get it. so i install this bitch let her run for two hours and shes still putting out 90ppms. i already emailed the company. does any have a merlin? i love it, shes fast but not for 90ppms. i would rather take her back and replace the membranes in my stealth. someone please tell me theres still hope. you think i have defective membranes? they were sealed brand new. also lowest op is 40psi im at about 45 when running.
Uh oh. Apparently whoever sold you that unit didn't know or didn't tell you that GE is discontinuing the Merlin, and that it is a known issue. You have to run the thing continuously, IIRC, in order to not have that ppm level coming up and down. Let me do some digging around on another forum, see what I can find for you on that.

Btw, 40psi isn't really enough to properly run any RO unit. May I suggest adding either a booster or a permeate pump (booster would be more appropriate in your low psi situation, I believe)?

K, some more info nicked from another site.
Water People said:
I thought there would be a few of you who would be interested to find out about what can go wrong with a state-of-the-art water filter. I know what I am talking about because I have owned over 10 systems and fitted a number of them too.

GE Merlin: Fact of Fiction?
November 11th, 2009 · No Comments

One of the most popular products in the water treatment business is the GE Merlin 700 Gallon Per Day Reverse Osmosis System. It delivers nearly a half gallon a minute under ideal conditions. Consumers hear that it is “tankless” and assume it is better than other “tank-type” RO’s and is the latest and greatest in reverse osmosis technology. While it is an amazing piece of equipment, it does have issues. First of all, let’s talk about its’ good points.

1. It makes lots of water and does it economically, so if you brew beer, do reef-keeping, have a salt water aquarium, greenhouse of do hydroponics, the Merlin is hard to beat, especially if you need hundreds of gallons of water a day.
2. The more you use a Merlin, the better the water is.
3. The initial cost is very low and it is downright impossible to find any reverse osmosis system that can produce this much water at such a low price.

Now, the drawbacks of a Merlin:

1. If you use only a few gallons of water a day, the odds are that the water quality will be wretched unless you use a “flush tank,” because of TDS Creep. The flush tank surrounds the GE Merlin Membranes with RO water to prevent the TDS creep, but it also causes the Merlin to use a lot more water (it will waste 4-5 gallons each time it fills the flush tank, which is every time you turn on the faucet – If you get a drink 10 times a day, you will waste about 50 gallons of water for those 10 glasses!).
2. The Merlin has problems shutting off. In other words, after you have stopped using water, and the Merlin should shut-down, it doesn’t! Instead, it just runs to drain and may waste hundreds of gallons of water a day. We have an inordinate amount of Merlins that are sent back because of this.
3. It sounds like a “freight train” when it is making water!

Here’s an actual case study with a GE Merlin. We installed a GE Merlin under the kitchen sink for a man in Brownsburg, Indiana, which has a TDS (total dissolved solids) level of 520. He kept complaining of “cloudy ice cubes.” So, we went to his home after the RO had sat unused all day. We tested the first glass of water and it was 415 PPM. Here are the rest of the results:

* After 1 minute - 346 PPM
* After 2 minutes – 278 PPM
* After 3 Minutes – 191 PPM
* After 4 Minutes - 96 PPM
* After 5 Minutes - 19 PPM (Pretty good water, but who wants to wait 5 minutes for a glass?)

Now, this could be solved by a “flush tank,” but in this case, the homeowner said “Why do that?” So, we put in a permeate pump RO system (which delivers the same amount of pressure out the faucet as you have coming in), which always delivers less than 20 PPM, with better pressure and much less waste water. Another thing to think about is that the GE Merlin Membranes cost about $200.00 to replace, while you can buy a membrane for the permeate pump RO for less than $30.00.

* More Pressure
* Less Waste
* Better Water Quality
* Lower Operational Costs

What’s not to like? That’s why I have a (non-electric) permeate pump RO in my house.

Now, we also find out that GE or Pentair is going to discontinue the Merlin and introduce a new and improved Merlin. Yes, product failure is part of the reason they are introducing it, but the main reason is that they want to eliminate Internet sales of this product and are only going to give it to a limited number of distributors, who won’t sell it on the WEB. They want to line their distributors pockets with money while sticking it to the consumer… again!

Necessity is the mother of Invention. Watch and see why this will be a mistake for Pentair.

Letter from Pentair attached.

GEMerlinDiscontinued
Dr.stickerdick

Dr.stickerdick

R/O membranes start out with a REDUCTION of about 90% of your initial ppm and go down from there to where you change out at 70% to 60% reduction-your choice. That is why some have a Deionizer as a final stage to knock it down to near 0 ppm. If you're starting at 550 ppm then you should expect about 55 ppm at best. Yes water temp. and pressure are very important in production time and quality. Also as mentioned the membranes are shipped in a preservative that you should dump the first two complete fills of then start. Peace

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Great info on the Merlin systems, Seamaiden!

I have one, and have too noticed ppm differences.

For me my water starts out around mid 300's from the tap. The merlin is now kicking out 150 ppm to start, and after about 1.5 gallons later it is down to 40. That is as low as it goes. In the beginning it went to 30. Your info helps explain this phenomena that I have been experiencing. Thanks,

-TF

O

ogk1ng

Thanks everyone for the responses! Im shipping the Merlin back. I bought a new membrane for my stealth. 18 ppms out the unit. Much better then 90..thanks again

Top Bottom