Genetic Make-up of Northern Lights

• Thread starter Solidopc
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Solidopc

Solidopc

Does anybody know for sure what the genetics of the original 11 NL seeds are?

Is NL a pure indica, i.e containing no sativa at all?

Is there any real evidence anywhere as to what genetics NL really contains?

On the sensi website it is called a "pure indica", on seedsman website, its called an afghani/skunk/haze, somewhere else it's said it contains thai.

What is the deal with all this? Does anybody really know the genetics of NL? Or are all wrtie ups just guesses, or the opinion of the breeder?

I find it hard to believe anyone can call it "pure" anything when there is so little info.

And who actually has the real cuts? Are they widespread in Holland now? Or are sensi and a few others the only ones with the originals?

Anyone with any info on this subject, please chip in. I'm very interested. I'd like to know what makes up this famous variety, and why the information about it is so diluted.

Peace. Solid.

R

RansacktheElder

Anyone with any info on this subject, please chip in. I'm very interested. I'd like to know what makes up this famous variety, and why the information about it is so diluted.

Here Here! I've been wanting to see a good discussion on this for months and have never really be able to scare one up. I hope some of you super high octane growers and breeders will be able to handle it? How's that for throwing down a gauntlet!

B

British_Hempire

There were a few different NLs, so it's a complex question!

NL2 was a pure indica IBL

NL5 was a clone only Neville found in the US in 1986 or 87

The NL seedline from Neville and later Sensi Seeds was NL1 male x NL5 cutting I think, although it could have been NL2 x NL5, I'm not sure.

It is said that NL was originally a Thai x Indica hybrid bred in Washington state, the original breeding was Afghani x Thai then BXed to the Afghani, although unless the original breeder or someone very close steps forward with proof, who really knows?

MisterIto posted this in the old OG GrowFAQ:

I got familiar with the Northern lights family (originally said to be from the Pacific Northwest) back in the 1980's when Nevil's Seed Bank offered the whole lineup. The original Northern Lights family is genetically diverse.

Northern Lights 1 was a single stalked, compact plant with a moderate Afghani smell. No one offers this classic version at this time. A strong plant and buzz.

Northern Lights 2 was a sturdy, pine tree shaped with a musty and piney odor. Dutch Passion (Oasis) and THSeeds (Closet Queen) currently offer versions.

Northern Lights 2 X 5 from The Seed Bank was very bushy and resinous with a strong juniper berry smell. A truly remarkable hybrid not offered by anyone.

Northern Lights 5 is available from BCSC for $75, a variety Nevil of The Seed Bank said was only available pure as a cutting. It is likely hybridized at one point.

Northern Lights 9 X 5 "disappeared" when Nevil sold his genetics to Sensi Seeds. This is the only original Northern Lights 9 genetics source to my knowledge.

These are the original Northern Lights breeding lines from which today's versions arose. Sensi Seed Bank sells Northern Lights with no number attached. Having access to Nevil's original genetics, my guess is that they crossed an Northern Lights 1 male to their Northern Lights 5 mother and stabilized the results. Northern Lights Special is a hybrid from KC Brains in Holland of Sensi's Northern Lights crossed to a Haze female. Northern Lights 9 was only sold in seed form as a hybrid to the Northern Lights 5 mother plant by Nevil at The Seed Bank during the late 1980's. Sagarmatha receives a lot of their strains delivered to them as a finished product from outside breeders. It is possible that someone produced these seeds. The known fact of a Northern Lights 9 male existing meant purebred seed should have been possible to produce, unless it was a male only strain. Trichome Technologies has a strain named Northern Lights 6, another related family member.

Solidopc

Solidopc

That kind of pickles my head even more. As i thought there were 11 seeds originally. So how would #2 be a pure indica, but not #5 and the rest, or are they all pure indicas? Is there such a thing as a thai indica?

I'm interested most in whether it is infact a pure indica, or does have some sativa in its background. Thanks for the info though, really interesting.

G

grizz

well as the story that I got it came from minnosta USA. There is a old grower I happen to know living up there that grows outside only. he crossed some plants that met his early harvest requirments and that was the first norther lights, what these strains where is anybodys guess as he dident even know, just took his best and crossed them, Im sure I will take shit for this post but I belive this to be true.

N

Nuglover

I read somewhere it came from this guy called the Indian or something up in the Pacific Northwest or was it Vancouver Island? Who Really knows the real story?... I know that #5 X BB is some pretty good stuff though.:)

R

RansacktheElder

"British Hempire wins that one" , he says as he dodges the gauntlet thrown so effectively back at him. Although there are some other interesting stories thrown in.

So the consensus seems to be that it woud be easier to find DB Cooper than figure this one out, right?

B

British_Hempire

Yup, it would be easier to fly to the mars than work out the true history of NL.

Basically, there are more than one NL lines, 1 is definitely an Afghani type indica IBL, 2 I'm not sure about, I've never grown it, 5 was a cutting Nev found, that's the famous one, no idea what it's lineage is, but it's thought to be Thai x Indica then BXed to the indica, but who really knows?

Stuff like this is one of the reasons why I prefer to look for new things and avoid all this malarkey.

A

andytoker

who would you say produces the best nl seads today - my research lead me to dr atomic and BCSC

any opinions??

S

sound1744

NL# fem

heres a pic of sensi's fem NL#.

its been crossed back to its afghani ancestors to inprove on taste. compromising on yeild and strength.

still a quality smoke man. fills the growroom with a citrus smell when flowering. not a good cash cropper. unless you find a good pheno.

sensi's original NL# is a cross of nl#1,NL#2 & NL#5 i think could be wrong though.

peace. :damnhippie:

Picture 016
S

slowhand15

Here's a few pictures of the NL#5 I grow.

Now I got this plant as a cutting from a friend who said he bought the seed in the late 80's from somewhere in Canada.....he can't remember which one.

I think it is a Northern lights x Thai hybrid. It has a very up feeling while being very stoned. It all depends on how much of it you smoke.

Last night I smoked some of my 9 week stuff, I just harvested a few weeks ago and did way to much. Slept like a trout.

My NL5 L8 22 10 02
My NL5 L8 22 10 03
G

Green Supreme

I am currently working with Doc Atomic. Setting up NL grows across the net. Stay tuned. Peace GS

MrStonerMan

MrStonerMan

Here's a few pictures of the NL#5 I grow.

Now I got this plant as a cutting from a friend who said he bought the seed in the late 80's from somewhere in Canada.....he can't remember which one.

I think it is a Northern lights x Thai hybrid. It has a very up feeling while being very stoned. It all depends on how much of it you smoke.

Last night I smoked some of my 9 week stuff, I just harvested a few weeks ago and did way to much. Slept like a trout.

LOL, slept like a trout. That's funny, I am going to use that haha. Stuff looks bomb diggity though!

I am currently working with Doc Atomic. Setting up NL grows across the net. Stay tuned. Peace GS

Sounds interesting, I'm tuned!

S

SSHZ

The Seed Banks N.L. 2 X 5 was the best out of all of them, and that's saying alot since they were all good in their own right. These days, most N.L.'s are a shell of what once was.......deluted with other genetics. Just like the G13- there is nothing on the market like the original. NOTHING! I'd give half my seed collection for a few of either of those beans.

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

The story I've heard is the NL#5 neville found came from nor cal. It was a landrace afghani line that had been inbred for desirable characteristics for 20 yrs by a recluse grower.

This is hearsay, so who really knows? I'm workin with the dr as well, will post when it's smokeable.

G

Green Supreme

I heard the original cut came from the Pacific Northwest. Cali seems a little far down for that. I figured somewhere from Oregon to Seattle. Peace GS

Top Bottom