Genetics vs talent

• Thread starter RoyalRoutes
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

RoyalRoutes

So when I started this journey I saw some friends who ran cultivation facilities chopping down these insanely triched flowers. It’s what inspired me to grow. These are two crops; one is done and the second round is finishing. On the first round I had triangle kush and although it had good trichome coverage the current genetic (mandarin cookies x sunset sherbet and purple punch x sunset sherbet) has flew past it.

I’m curious if you guys think genetics are the reason for these results?
Do genetics make up for talent?

The environment and feeding are the same but the bugs are like frosty rocks. Way more dense than the last barch

Genetics vs talent
Genetics vs talent 2
Genetics vs talent 3
Genetics vs talent 4
JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Think of genetics as potential. You can’t make fire out of schwagg but you can make schwagg out of fire. So if you’ve got great genetics then the rest is up to the grower who grows them and his skill doing so.

Ace9137

Ace9137

That is a topic that can be debated for the reason of knowledge and understanding, practice in how you care for plants(soil, soiless, hydro, nutrients, ect...), general environment( lighting, temperature fluctuations, humidity.). Skill is subjective, everyone has a technique, which is the most hot topic I have ever seen in any forum. My suggestion is to learn to breed plants, experiment with the genetics.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Genetics dont make up for tallent! You could have the best seeds in the world and if you have no idea of what you are doing your probably going to fail or at the very least will not bring the plant to its full potential.

Ace9137

Ace9137

Genetics dont make up for tallent! You could have the best seeds in the world and if you have no idea of what you are doing your probably going to fail or at the very least will not bring the plant to its full potential.
Consider if you use poor genetics, no matter how well you do in gardening, you never have a plant worth saving. The way I see it, most "growers" have no idea what they are doing and fall victim to popular idea instead of practical application( I was one of them). I know I will feel the hate when I state this next, cannabis thrives from adversity, you will find your most highest quality grows outside, I tend to experiment, warmer climate increases water intake, the idea is that a set artificial weather/environment, will produce fine looking plants with massive bag appeal, unfortunately, the buzz suffers. You want to grow great plants, imitate the weather and explore their genetics. Most growers only grow a certain amount of plants, their favorites, and have grown said plants for many years. If i start a strain i have never grown, I will probably spend some time adapting to said strain, grow it a few times, no problem. I don't grow for just presentation, I grow for the "high" not for anything else.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I feel it goes in order of importance.

Environment > Grower >Genetics

For sure. Environment and genetics go hand in hand. Having the best genetics in the wrong environment will produce less than optimal results. That’s where the grower comes in. It’s their responsibility to provide the correct environment for the genetics. All three are reliant on one another for optimal results.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

For sure. Environment and genetics go hand in hand. Having the best genetics in the wrong environment will produce less than optimal results. That’s where the grower comes in. It’s their responsibility to provide the correct environment for the genetics. All three are reliant on one another for optimal results.

The reason i put genetics last is because 2 different growers can get very different results even from the same cutting.

Ace9137

Ace9137

Hybrids show the most pheno types, gives them versatility, if indica/sativa variety hybrids are grown in warmer climes it will exhibit sativa mostly, and in cooler climes you would find indica expression, while growing pure indica or sativa, you will have to refer to region grown.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
The reason i put genetics last is because 2 different growers can get very different results even from the same cutting.

Big time. Why I have always learned to run a strain 2 - 3 times before making a decision on if it's a keeper or not. 1st run can sometimes be misleading. I mean you can tell right off the bat sometimes it's going in the trash but you know what I mean.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I listened to an interesting interview with Kyle kushman and Aryan from greenhouse, and something Aryan said caught my attention.

He was talking about all the experimentation they're doing outdoors in different parts of the world, and said when they grow an Indica plant in a natural Indica environment they get a shorter, squat plant that flowers quickly. BUT, when they take a cutting of that exact same plant and grow it outdoors in a region native to Sativas, the plant will grow tall and take a long time to finish, acting and appearing just like a Sativa.

Ace9137

Ace9137

I listened to an interesting interview with Kyle kushman and Aryan from greenhouse, and something Aryan said caught my attention.

He was talking about all the experimentation they're doing outdoors in different parts of the world, and said when they grow an Indica plant in a natural Indica environment they get a shorter, squat plant that flowers quickly. BUT, when they take a cutting of that exact same plant and grow it outdoors in a region native to Sativas, the plant will grow tall and take a long time to finish, acting and appearing just like a Sativa.
I do this in my grow tent.

Deke

Deke

That's interesting. Nature seems to find a way to always adapt.

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

Genetics are the ceiling and talent is the ladder

And most people are in the basement begging for shit to be tossed down to them. Hell some have even carved out a glory hole in the floor. Unfortunately someone came in the side door and shat down that hole, then through them some Advanced Nutrient napkins to clean up with

It amazes me how many people think quality smoke is some rare fluke that's inobtainable . Nope, quality grows are, apparently though. I couldn't recognize a single strain in most dispensaries, nor even a hint. Thats a much worse problem going on with the grow than bad drying practices.

Deke

Deke

And most people are in the basement begging for shit to be tossed down to them. Hell some have even carved out a glory hole in the floor. Unfortunately someone came in the side door and shat down that hole, then through them some Advanced Nutrient napkins to clean up with

It amazes me how many people think quality smoke is some rare fluke that's inobtainable . Nope, quality grows are, apparently though. I couldn't recognize a single strain in most dispensaries, nor even a hint. Thats a much worse problem going on with the grow than bad drying practices.

"I couldn't recognize a single strain in most dispensaries, nor even a hint. Thats a much worse problem going on with the grow than bad drying practices."

True. I look at pics of large grows and all their strains look the same. I mean a true indica or sativa you can obviously tell them apart. But so much of it looks the same. Everyone looking for that "better" strain. How about working on a few and getting them right. IMO

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter

Another negative, non- helpful post from you. Do you ever have anything to offer other than negativity? @RippedTorn

Top Bottom