Germination Bomb For Old Or Difficult Seeds

• Thread starter Ambre
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ambre

Ambre

@ Ambre how did you come up with this dose of B . Have you tried different dosage of Superthrive. That high of dose would seem to hurt embryo. I'm going to try this technique with some different ratios and addition of new chemicals. Have you taken pressure readings in the germination vessel? What was the pressure used in college experiments? Did you guys perform any "embryo rescues" experiments in college?

The original post I got from CW specified 10 drops of Superthrive, so that's what I used. Comparing different strengths of Superthrive is one of the experiments I have not done yet.

I do not know what the pressure in the jar is or what the originators had. I suspect that will change depending on how well sealed the jar is, the power of the air pump, and what kind of airstone is used. I don't have a way to measure the pressure

dilligaf

dilligaf

I was gifted some landrace Afghani seeds from 1986...might give your application a whirl. Thanks for the post.

I was also gifted some old afghan seeds by a respected member on another forum...two packages...both pre soviet invasion...one labeled landrace one ibl...this might be a doable future project

D

SpiderK

SpiderK

Gonna try this thanks for the post

..... Lets see if some of these early 90's durban poison will pop for me.

Durban

SpiderK

SpiderK

fingers crossed ......

a little dry kelp & a touch of worm castings .... first test started with 60 or so seeds have about 1,000 but many damaged ones...... go durban go.

these are f2's or f'3 from an original pile of 8,000 seeds his mentor made in the mid 80's. a friend stumbled upon these in his parents house from 1992 or so, that was his last outdoor run and were sitting in a metal tin in his closet....

Seeds

Barn

Last edited:
SpiderK

SpiderK

Seed Germination: Theory and Practice / Gibberellic Acid - ( Book download .pdf file from the u.s.d.a. )

The first edition of Norman Deno's book was written in 1993, and detailed his conclusions on seed germination, and more particularly his findings on the types of inhibitors preventing seeds from germinating, and ways of overcoming these inhibitors, based on experiments with seeds of over 2500 species, in 805 genera, from 145 plant families.

Norman Deno was Professor Emeritus of Chemistry at Penn State University, and during his career in Chemistry published 150 papers, with another twenty papers during his secondary career in horticulture.

http://naldc.nal.usda.gov/catalog/41278

Last edited:
SpiderK

SpiderK

Increased Oxygen Bio-availability Improved Vigor and Germination of Aged Vegetable Seeds

15% - Hydrogen Peroxide

Abstract.

Large and/or aged seeds are prone to hypoxic conditions during germination. Germination of selected vegetable seeds including corn (Zea maysL.), squash (CucurbitapepoL.), and tomato (Solanum lycopersicumL.) was studied in water with different concentrations of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) solution ranging from 0, 0.06% to 3.0% (v/v) or in aeroponics, all with 0.5 mM CaSO4. Imbibition, oxygen consumption, proton extrusion, and alcohol dehydrogenase (ADHase) activity of corn seeds were measured gravimetrically, electrochemically, and colorimetrically as appropriate.

The results showed that 0.15% H2O2 provided the optimum oxygen concentration for seed germination. The germination percentage of aged corn seeds treated with H2O2 was significantly greater than those without H2O2 treatment. Corn embryo orientation in relation to a moist substrate also significantly impacted oxygen bioavailability to the embryo and hence ADHase activity. Corn seeds without H2O2 imbibed significantly more slowly than those with oxygen fortification by 0.15% H2O2. Increased oxygen bioavailability improved the metabolism of the seeds, which extruded 5-fold more protons from the embryos. Each treated embryo consumed twice the amount of oxygen as compared with the untreated one and likewise for treated and untreated endosperms. Increased oxygen bioavailability may be used to improve production of the tested crops. The results from this research imply that consideration should be given to including oxygen fortification in seed coatings for aged seeds and for large seeds regardless of age.

http://hos.ufl.edu/sites/default/files/faculty/gdliu/O2SeedGerm.pdf

Swell

Swell

Thanks for the detailed post.

I constantly acquire seed stock and worry about their longterm viability.

I will give this germination method a try for varieties that have poor germ rates.

Ambre

Ambre

Thanks for the articles, SpiderK. Deno's book and both of the supplements are good references for anyone who starts seeds of any type. I was kind of surprised that he had cannabis included.

I have used 3% H2O2 on seeds for a long time, mostly as a soak to kill any pathogens on the surface of the seed. The article on the 15% concentration is interesting. I might pick up a bottle of high concentrate H2O2 & experiment with it.

Last edited:
Ambre

Ambre

Thanks for the detailed post.

I constantly acquire seed stock and worry about their longterm viability.

I will give this germination method a try for varieties that have poor germ rates.

Longevity of seeds depends on how the seeds are stored. I'm successfully germing seeds that are about 18 years old with this method, and they were not properly stored for the first couple of years.

SpiderK

SpiderK

2,000-Year-Old Seed Sprouts, Sapling Is Thriving

Several ancient date seeds were taken from an excavation at Masada, a historic mountainside fortress, in 1973. In A.D. 73 Jewish Zealots took their own lives at the fortress rather than surrender to the Romans at the end of a two-year siege.

Carbon dating indicates the seeds are about 2,000 years old.

First she soaked the seeds in hot water to make them once again able to absorb liquids. Then she soaked them in a solution of nutrients followed by an enzymatic fertilizer made from seaweed.

"I assumed the food in the seed would be no good after all that time. How could it be?" she said.

Tu B'shevat, a Jewish holiday known as the New Year for Trees, fell this year on January 25. Solowey chose that day to plant the seeds in new potting soil, hook them up to a drip irrigation system, and leave them locked up.

She occasionally checked on the plants for a few months, and in March she noticed cracked soil in one of the pots—a sure sign of sprouts.

"I couldn't believe it," she said. "I did everything to avoid contamination, so it had to be that seed. And by March 18 I could see it was a date shoot."

The first leaves were almost white with gray lines. They looked like corduroy but felt totally flat, Solowey said. She thought the plant would never survive. But by June healthier-looking leaves were growing on the young sapling.

SpiderK

SpiderK

Dormancy-breaking and germination requirements for seeds of Symphoricarpos orbiculatus (Caprifoliaceae) 1

Initial germination experiments

ABSTRACT
Fruits (drupes) of Symphoricarpos orbiculatus ripen in autumn and are dispersed from autumn to spring. Seeds (true seed plus fibrous endocarp) are dormant at maturity, and they have a small, linear embryo that is underdeveloped. In contrast to previous reports, the endocarp and seed coat of S. orbiculatus are permeable to water; thus, seeds do not have physical dormancy. No fresh seeds germinated during 2 wk of incubation over a 15°/6°–35°/20°C range of thermoperiods in light (14-h photoperiod); gibberellic acid and warm or cold stratification alone did not overcome dormancy. One hundred percent of the seeds incubated in a simulated summer → autumn → winter → spring sequence of temperature regimes germinated, whereas none of those subjected to a winter → spring sequence did so. That is, cold stratification is effective in breaking dormancy only after seeds first are exposed to a period of warm temperatures. Likewise, embryos grew at cold temperatures only after seeds were exposed to warm temperatures. Thus, the seeds of S. orbiculatus have nondeep complex morphophysiological dormancy. As a result of dispersal phenology and dormancy-breaking requirements, in nature most seeds that germinate do so the second spring following maturity; a low to moderate percentage of the seeds may germinate the third spring. Seeds can germinate to high percentages under Quercusleaf litter and while buried in soil; they have little or no potential to form a long-lived soil seed bank.

No freshly matured seeds germinated during 2 wk of incubation in light. Further, no seeds germinated during 2 wk of incubation at 15°/6°–35°/20°C following cold, warm, cold plus warm, or warm plus cold stratification.

Effect of GA3 on germination and embryo growth (Gibberellic Acid)
No seeds germinated in any of the three treatments or in the control during 12 wk of incubation at 25°/15°C in light (Table 3). Gibberellic acid also did not have much effect on embryo growth, although GA3 concentration, incubation length, and their interaction were significant (P ≤ 0.0021). Maximum embryo length attained was 0.69 ± 0.01 mm (mean ± 1 SE) after 12 wk of incubation in 1000 mg/L GA3 at 25°/15°C (Table 3). Thus, embryo length increased only ∼21%.

Effect of simulated sequence of seasonal temperature regimes on embryo growth, dormancy break, and germination
The sequence of temperature regimes had significant effects (P = 0.0001) on germination percentages and on embryo growth. Embryos in fresh seeds initially incubated at 25°/15°C did not grow until after seeds were transferred to the lower temperatures (Fig. 3a). However, embryos of seeds initially incubated at 5°C did not grow until after seeds received a warm period and then a second cold period (Fig. 3b). Embryos in the four controls grew very little: from 0.57 ± 0.02 (mean ± 1 SE) to 0.67 ± 0.06 mm at 5°C, to 0.63 ± 0.03 mm at 15°/6°C, to 0.61 ± 0.04 mm at 20°/10°C, and to 0.59 ± 0.04 mm at 25°/15°C (data not otherwise shown). Embryo length increased ∼100% between seed maturity and germination (Fig. 3).

Seeds placed initially at 25°/15°C did not germinate until after they were transferred through the sequence of temperatures: 25°/15°C (12 wk) → 20°/10°C (4 wk) → 15°/6°C (4 wk) → 5°C (12 wk) → 15°/6°C (4 wk), and then 100% of the seeds germinated at 15°/6°C (Fig. 3a). In contrast, seeds placed initially at 5°C did not germinate until after they were exposed to the sequence of temperatures: 5°C (12 wk) → 15°/6°C (4 wk) → 20°/10°C (4 wk) → 25°/15°C (12 wk) → 20°/10°C (4 wk) → 15°/6°C (4 wk) → 5°C (12 wk) → 15°/6°C (4 wk) → 20°/10°C (4 wk), and then they germinated to 96% at 20°/10°C (Fig. 3b). No seeds germinated in any of the four controls.

http://www.amjbot.org/content/88/8/1444.full

SpiderK

SpiderK

When Breaking Seed Dormancy Is a Problem
Try a Move-Along Experiment

Temperature is the major environmental factor responsible for changes in dormancy states of seeds (Baskin and Baskin 1998). Germinating seeds of native species in temperate regions of the world may require exposure to summer and/or winter temperatures to break dormancy.Unless one has some previous experience with the study taxon,however,or a close relative ofit,or has information from colleagues or the literature, it is difficult to decide which treatment(s) may have the best possibility of breaking seed dormancy. For example, seeds of some species (such as the limestone cedar gladeendemic Lesquerella lyrataRollins (Brassicaceae) [Baskin and Baskin 2000]) require high summer temperatures for dormancy break,but if one does not know this and only gives fresh seeds a cold stratification (moist,low temperature [0.5 to 10 °C (33 to 50 °F)]) treatment,dormancy break does not occur.However,if seeds of such species are exposed to summer temperatures (ambient room temperatures usually are fine),they come out of dormancy and will germinate in autumn embryos. We have used this method, however, primarily for seeds that are permeable to water and not for those with water- impermeable seed (or fruit) coats (physical dormancy). The account of the move-along experiment given below is extracted (and modified) from a previous description of it (Baskin and Baskin forthcoming).

We call our method the “move-along experiment,”but double-germination phenology technique is a more scientifically accurate term. For a move-along experiment, we use 5 °C (or sometimes 5/1 °C) to simulate winter stratifying temperatures,25/15 °C (or sometimes 30/15 °C) for summer, 20/10 °C for early autumn and for late spring, and 15/6 °C for late autumn and for early spring; these are 12-h day temperatures alternated with 12-h night temperatures. These temperatures were chosen using US Weather Bureau maximum and minimum air temperature data for Kentucky and adjacent areas, thus you may need to adjust these temperatures to those occurring in your study region.

Because most seeds germinate best in light, or at least equally well in light and in darkness, we incubate seeds at a 14-h daily photoperiod of cool white fluorescent light (irradiance equal to about 2% of visible portion of full sunlight in summer).

X

Last edited:
SpiderK

SpiderK

Longevity, Germination, and Emergence
of Wild Hemp (Cannabis Sativa L)
B.S. Kansas State University , 1970 Master Thesis

Storage Temperatures

After 15 months , wild hemp seed viability was relatively unaffected by storage temperatures. However, storage temperature had a great influence on germination, and germination generally increased with time. Seeds kept in cold storage had consistently low germination, while the germination of seeds stored at room temperature and natural temperatures was highly variable. :confused: :eek:

Seeds kept in cold storage would normally be expected to have high germination as seed dormancy would have been broken. Apparently, cold storage have to be exposed to higher temperatures for a period of time before they will germinate well. This was illustrated by seeds stored under diurnal temperature, where germination was low during winter but increased substantially when the soil temperature increased in the spring. In most stands during the year virtually no seeds germinated even when moister is available. Apparently, wild hemp seeds have an endogenous rhythm like that known to exist for seeds of other plant species. Salisbury & Ross (33) found germination of certain seeds appeared to be at certain times during the growing year, even though the seeds had been stored under constant temperature, light, and moisture.

Other studies have shown wild hemp seeds to be light and temperature sensitive ; reduced light and low temperatures enhanced seed germination. These mechinisms may have evolved to prevent all seeds from germinating at once and risk a stand falire due to natural occurrences such as late frost.

Wild hemp seed had a seasonal germination pattern. Maximum germination was in april. Germination was very low in july and october.

https://krex.k-state.edu/dspace/bitstream/handle/2097/10626/LD2668T41972T85.pdf?sequence=1

Last edited:
Top Bottom