Germination ? Same Old Story

• Thread starter hawkman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

hawkman

have my failure's with germination , really piss's me off; besides loosing a seed , generally soak in paper towel - what/do you guy's ever have that issue? maybe should get a heat pad? I( don't know - no germination can be expensive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

madgrower

madgrower

have my failure's with germination , really piss's me off; besides loosing a seed , generally soak in paper towel - what/do you guy's ever have that issue? maybe should get a heat pad? I( don't know - no germination can be expensive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i soak mine in water over night then put it in a damp papertowel not the good kind .the stuff that doesnt soak good, because the good ones smother the seed.i learnt that the hard way.most always have success atleast 95%.average 4 days from seed to its up out of soil.

SweetTooth75

SweetTooth75

Dude. Rockwell cube, distilled water, put it in a small Tupperware container, cover it with plastic wrap and put it on the warm spot on top of the fridge. I've always had 100% success using this method.

gravekat303

gravekat303

Premium Member
Supporter
You ever see how seeds grow outside? ...i drop mine right into dirt i have used forx farm ocen forest with great success pro mox works prettymuch anything if its cold like it is now i use a heat mat

brazel

brazel

You ever see how seeds grow outside? ...i drop mine right into dirt i have used forx farm ocen forest with great success pro mox works prettymuch anything if its cold like it is now i use a heat mat
True that! Seeds have everything they need except moisture they even have the cotyledon built into them! If they can sprout outdoors with no human input then you either have bad seeds or technique.

H

hawkman

tHANKS EVERYBODY WHO ANSWERED !!!! seems that planting them directly into soil; sideways work well but feel that a soak and paper towel method works OK (then place in baggie) some say that seeds might go "bad" if not used in a few years - if that's so have some that are 10 years old !!!!!!

brazel

brazel

tHANKS EVERYBODY WHO ANSWERED !!!! seems that planting them directly into soil; sideways work well but feel that a soak and paper towel method works OK (then place in baggie) some say that seeds might go "bad" if not used in a few years - if that's so have some that are 10 years old !!!!!!
Don't worry about the seed being a certain way, just put it in the soil. Seeds been doing this for years on years!
What does a soak do that moist soil doesn't? If a seed can pop in a paper towel which is not a grow medium then why would it not pop where it's designed to pop at? The radicle root (tap root) can weave thru the fibers of the paper towel and break when you remove.

brazel

brazel

A lot depends on how you store your seeds. The oldest seeds I know of that were popped is from coot, 1983 or somewhere around there he put them in his freezer and pulled them out and some sprouted in 2011 or somewhere around there.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Don't worry about the seed being a certain way, just put it in the soil. Seeds been doing this for years on years!
What does a soak do that moist soil doesn't? If a seed can pop in a paper towel which is not a grow medium then why would it not pop where it's designed to pop at? The radicle root (tap root) can weave thru the fibers of the paper towel and break when you remove.
A towel lets you seed the seed open... i have done the straight to dirt method and wasted 2 weeks watering duds

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Soil lets you see it pop thru the soil, would you have watered the paper towel for two weeks!?
What? No it just stays wet in the plate..and yes i have waited up to 3 weeks for a seed to pop.... i have also watered duds for weeks thinking it was coming... glad i wasnt holding my breath

brazel

brazel

What? No it just stays wet in the plate..and yes i have waited up to 3 weeks for a seed to pop.... i have also watered duds for weeks thinking it was coming... glad i wasnt holding my breath
I'm glad you weren't to!
I'd be way too jealous if you got the world record for holding your breath!

Madbud

Madbud

Old thread but my 2 cents worth. Seed on soil, commercial seedstarter soils are fluffy, then water, seed settles in. Three days in total darkness and a good seed will sprout. Paper towel method works but not as well. Might be the bleached paper.

H

hawkman

Old thread but my 2 cents worth. Seed on soil, commercial seedstarter soils are fluffy, then water, seed settles in. Three days in total darkness and a good seed will sprout. Paper towel method works but not as well. Might be the bleached paper.
never thought of bleach with paper towels - makes sense ; guess that would kill any thing

Top Bottom