Getto's new tree grow sites

• Thread starter gettogro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

gettogro

Hi there Tree farmers.

So, I have been kicking around the Idea of making my own water culture tree sites. I finally got the ball rolling. Trying to make due with store bought stuff just dont cut it anymore. I was waiting for the new UC pro sites to come available, but they have been saying "coming soon" for forever now. walmart totes, lowes totes, brute totes, garbage cans, and anything else work just fine, But I want my own design.

For my style of growing I want a low profile tub with 15 gallons of root space. The least amount of dead airspace for gnats to hang out. Other grow sites are black and square :confused: Why wouldnt you want grow sites to be round and white? Black ABS is cheaper and square thermoforming molds are cheaper. All of which are great for higher profit margins but I think round and white is better for the trees.... 1/4 white ABS is opaque and will lower temps. Makes no sense to get a high dollar hydro system and then have to wrap it up with panda or reflectix.

This is what I came up with.

A round site with 4 flat spots to hold a bulkhead or uniseal in either a straight through or 90 degree configuration. I even talked to the uniseal guys, they said that they could make 3 inch "white" uniseals no problem.

I dont have any experience with CAD programs so I whipped up a life size prototype. Looks good to me ...

Sending this off to a thermoforming manufacturer next week, They say I should have finished products in hand in 6-7 weeks.. Just in time to rebuild between my next grow cycle.

What do you guys think????
Grow module
Gettos new tree grow sites 2
Gettos new tree grow sites 3
Gettos new tree grow sites 4
Gettos new tree grow sites 5
Gettos new tree grow sites 6
Gettos new tree grow sites 7
Gettos new tree grow sites 8
Gettos new tree grow sites 9
Gettos new tree grow sites 10
Gettos new tree grow sites 11
Gettos new tree grow sites 12
Gettos new tree grow sites 13
Gettos new tree grow sites 14
Gettos new tree grow sites 15
Gettos new tree grow sites 16

stickyfing3rs

stickyfing3rs

Badass gg, can't wait too see them perform. They going to the lids as well?

sixstring

sixstring

i like it man,the short and wide profile will translate into shorter and wider plants ime from using squat pots in soil.seems like 20 gal capacity would be more your style based on how big your plants are usually but what do i know lol.your right that black grow equipment is lame,if white is just a few bucks more why not.hope this goes down as you planned gg,peace

Canappa

Canappa

Nice set up bro, I like it cant wait for it to perform, looks like its will perform just great! Whats involved in the rest of the system pumps, rez plumbing, etc.. thanks for sharing wish you good luck on you grow;)

J

Jalisco Kid

White might not have enough pigment to stop algae growth. My green tanks block the light more then any colors I use. Got to ask why a round shallow tank. I can see the wide round as the cc design once full of roots does not offer the best water movement. It would seem you should be able to have your fitting in the tank from your manufacturer.Shame to put a design flaw into your designs as uniseals can and do leak. I put double ended fitting were ever the client wants and can mold wheels(casters) into the bottoms. Good luck JK

DapperDon

DapperDon

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

i like the white abs, i have always had better look with my white power cloner than either my black turbo or ezcloners. some other variables at play obviously.
just one drain?

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

Rotomolding or blow-molding would allow for a black inside layer followed by white on the outside. Black PE requires less UV inhibitor and stabilizing additives, and is often recycled material while other colors are virgin. The shrinkage rates can vary considerably, something to think about for fittings, knock-outs, corners and radiused edges, how it releases from the mould, etc. I don't know as much about thermoformable plastics, but maybe a bi-layer option there too.

DapperDon

DapperDon

Rotomolding or blow-molding would allow for a black inside layer followed by white on the outside. Black PE requires less UV inhibitor and stabilizing additives, and is often recycled material while other colors are virgin. The shrinkage rates can vary considerably, something to think about for fittings, knock-outs, corners and radiused edges, how it releases from the mould, etc. I don't know as much about thermoformable plastics, but maybe a bi-layer option there too.

The higher the Shore D rating = the less shrinkage in most industrial resins. A higher D rating allows for more sharper edge detail however suffers in brittleness. I would not have a problem with the bucket/pot being any color at all so to be safe, black is fine with me. Also there are options in this direction that I really like for the reasons of upscalability. I would really have to agree that this would be a powerhouse of a growing system if the tub was double walled for insulation like the very high end live wells for fishing.

sixstring

sixstring

I use a white res for my auto system and I dont have problems with algae, just an ag tank from tractor supply.only problem with molding the fittings/connections would be if one got broke or stripped it would render the whole tank useless lol.think they could make a decent uniseal by now ya know .

G

gettogro

The white 1/4 abs blocks the light just fine, I held a high power flashlight behind the active aqua res and I couldn't detect any light passing through it, so I think It will stop algae growth.

I'm sure there are many ways to manufacture stuff, but I am looking for the most practical. Thermoforming seems to be the most economical way to go to keep the cost down.
not trying to reinvent the wheel here, Just having some plant sites made the way I think they should be done for my grows. They wont be a turn key system, the round lower half will have 4 flat spots in them to accommodate whatever bulkhead is needed. Still have to be handy with a hole saw and some basic plumbing skills.

I really like the UC pro modules, but they are not available right now. They cost way 2 much. A 20 site UC pro system costs more than it is costing me to have my own custom ones made.

If you ever look at a tree blown over by the wind the roots are shallow and wide. Seems to make sense, that water is much easier to move on a horizontal plane rather than vertical one. Its also been said that the roots like to grow wide to catch the rainwater dripping from the widest part of the plant.

I have grown great plants in $5 walmart totes, Lowes totes, Brute trash cans. My idea isn't going to make me a better grower, just looking to simplify and have a cleaner looking hydro system.

I just had to replace all the uniseals in my walmart system, then re wrap it in panda film. Cutting ant taping up all that panda was a pain in the ass, took as long to do that as it did to build the whole system. Then cleaning between runs all kinds of crap gets between the panda and the totes. With a opaque white tub would make my life a little easier.

Thanks for the feedback guys, All opinions are welcomed. :)

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
You could just round the corners as opposed to having a circular tub with flat spots. You could then hit 15 gallons with less of a foot print given the same height of tub... and get the same effect IMHO.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Your idea of involving the community in your design process will inevitably lead to a better tank. Synergy is where it's at. No doubt. I want to do a massive ebb flow myself using a bell siphon.. I should start a thread. :)

J

Jalisco Kid

That water moving your roots around actually helps the plant. As a hands on grower,and owner of many different tanks sizes and shapes, I do not need an engineer book to tell me that. JK

Last edited by a moderator:
DapperDon

DapperDon

Well when you start trashing an aspect of his design and build that you felt was inferior while at the same time being very,very wrong. I think you do.

J

Jalisco Kid

I did not trash anything thing is his design, I make observations and remarks. having an opinion and expressing it does not make anything positive or negative. Now the original UC design does suck. JK

DapperDon

DapperDon

I did not trash anything thing is his design, I make observations and remarks. having an opinion and expressing it does not make anything positive or negative. Now the original UC design does suck. JK

While I laud the way UC has made their system very modular and user friendly with regards to their parts and its upscalability. I am frustrated that they have not done more in their module technology. A square bucket is not something found in nature. So when I saw Ghetto's design, the very first thing that came to mind was a root cross section. Simple, yet brilliant. Cap was spot on when he said that open sourcing it to the forums would develop a superior tank.

Top Bottom