Girdling - Has anyone ever tried this technique before??

• Thread starter Elite Nugs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
shaganja

shaganja

The only info I haven't found yet is, how long does it take to kill the cannabis plant? If trees take 12 months, where would a much shorter lifespan plant like cannabis fall? It sounds like the Mexico farmers, did it all in the same season, but I'm still no conformation.

Bergernfries

Bergernfries

I want to add to this forum because I accidentally girdled a fairly large branch. I had used braided fishing line with a slip knot to pull down branches early on, one knot stuck and stayed tight as the plant grew.

I initially noticed yellowing on the two branches above where it was girdled, but did not know why at first. I thought nutrient deficiency or insect damage as they are outdoors with limited protection. I ended up finding the choked off point and cut the fishing line out with a razor blade. The girdling was probably 3/8 and inch deep at least.

Results from the control and experiment group. The trichomes on the girdled plant are 2-3 times larger than the other plants. I am going to girdle a main branch on the other plants today.

About me: I am a biologist, and I have spent time at tree seed farms where they harvest fir and pine cones for the seeds. They girdle the trees deep and stress the trees out with similar techniques as well. These trees are almost dead but continue to survive. As a result they produce more and larger flowers(cones) in this case.
My personal response and thoughts to this technique, is that stressing out a plant or tree will make it create an immune response to the threat and or injury. One way a cannabis plants protects its flowers is with sap, aka trichome production as it is a natural pest deterrent. It appeared trichome production and size was consistent throughout the plant even though only 10% or so of the plant was girdled. This immune response is seen in other species as well. An acute injury and a general response throughout the whole plant. I do not believe that cutting off the flow of nutrients back down to the roots is what is causing the growth increase. I believe it is the immune response and the plant/trees worried now is the time to reproduce or potentially never. Nature will never pick the never option. I will maybe upload pics soon.

Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

Well... scratch this plan. My Chocolope plant, along with my Lemon Skunk and Sour Grapes was stolen last night. I know who did it. They left a leaf trail right to there house.... So they'll be dealt with accordingly.

Anyone know of any good traps to set up for outdoor thieves?? I just electrified my back fence. And I did it in a way that they will get stuck to it. If there lucky, they'll have a fellow thieve with them that can try and pry them from it. I would like to set more traps though. Anyone know of any good ones??
I hear a Bull Mastiff works pretty well... ☺️

shaganja

shaganja

Been researching this for couple years. I was gonna do it with my acaranian gold this year. But, i accidently killed her. I used vaseline to keep slugs back. This destroyed bark of a few plants. It takes a few months. But doing this has showed me how long it takes to kill them. Its a slow procces when the cambium layer is destroyed. I will try again next year. It takes awhile to fully destroy. They dont just die either. They just wilt hard, and turn yellow. They never completly die. When i do this next year, will wait till they have 2 weeks left. They have to do most of the flowering before you do it. Because this slowly kills her. If you did it at the start of flower, they wont make buds, at least nothing worth keeping.

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

Been researching for years huh.

Well start over.. If you know how a plant works you know all of these stuff. There's no theorizing.. Pot growers simply never learned how a plant works.

I'll give you a hint. Plants make there own food.. I learnt this at 4 years old and haven't forgot it like every other grower.. If the food is diverted from the roots, it remains available for above ground use. Gee I wonder how to get more sugar to the buds at harvest?

shaganja

shaganja

Just a couple years. That means i know a little, but not very much.

shaganja

shaganja

Been researching for years huh.

Well start over.. If you know how a plant works you know all of these stuff. There's no theorizing.. Pot growers simply never learned how a plant works.

I'll give you a hint. Plants make there own food.. I learnt this at 4 years old and haven't forgot it like every other grower.. If the food is diverted from the roots, it remains available for above ground use. Gee I wonder how to get more sugar to the buds at harvest?
Wow dude, did you forget to burn today? Remember we are all therorizing, and experimenting. This is the purpose of thc farmer

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Yeah, stay away from the main stalk Wayback in the day and way out in the hills, the mice and rats would girdle our plants! And they died within a matter of days not weeks. It was a constant battle, and we lost a lot of plants. Can still set a victor rat trap with my eyes closed.

Bergernfries

Bergernfries

I want to add to this forum because I accidentally girdled a fairly large branch. I had used braided fishing line with a slip knot to pull down branches early on, one knot stuck and stayed tight as the plant grew.

I initially noticed yellowing on the two branches above where it was girdled, but did not know why at first. I thought nutrient deficiency or insect damage as they are outdoors with limited protection. I ended up finding the choked off point and cut the fishing line out with a razor blade. The girdling was probably 3/8 and inch deep at least.

Results from the control and experiment group. The trichomes on the girdled plant are 2-3 times larger than the other plants. I am going to girdle a main branch on the other plants today.

About me: I am a biologist, and I have spent time at tree seed farms where they harvest fir and pine cones for the seeds. They girdle the trees deep and stress the trees out with similar techniques as well. These trees are almost dead but continue to survive. As a result they produce more and larger flowers(cones) in this case.
My personal response and thoughts to this technique, is that stressing out a plant or tree will make it create an immune response to the threat and or injury. One way a cannabis plants protects its flowers is with sap, aka trichome production as it is a natural pest deterrent. It appeared trichome production and size was consistent throughout the plant even though only 10% or so of the plant was girdled. This immune response is seen in other species as well. An acute injury and a general response throughout the whole plant. I do not believe that cutting off the flow of nutrients back down to the roots is what is causing the growth increase. I believe it is the immune response and the plant/trees worried now is the time to reproduce or potentially never. Nature will never pick the never option. I will maybe upload pics soon.
So I went to town with a razor knife and the other 3 plants. I did not consistently cut around all of the branches because it was caged and tough. It should stress them out. Rains in the forecast so an early harvest sounds great.

61E75054 1933 48B7 BCE4 7CD9D5F85A03
8C423004 ED93 4D1B A537 C9CFF4FFC642
A85B48D8 F38C 4EC3 9BF5 FDF9D59EF493
F2D30B88 E902 4007 9C0F CA55A4B48C91
Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Wow dude, did you forget to burn today? Remember we are all therorizing, and experimenting. This is the purpose of thc farmer

I love how dude weighs in occasionally with barely legible English and no links to corroborate any of his claims. His posts are like a spam email gained sentience.

Bergernfries

Bergernfries

Be delicate, just scrape the stalk, not cutting deep enough to truly girdle the plant.
I ended up going in a bit at inconsistent depth, not scraping, and not a full circle. I might hit/cut all of the branches a bit because green leaves left on the branches when they are harvested mean there was energy available to go into the flowers/buds that was wasted. So I guess I am saying I am not sure if the initial girdled branches will produce better or if a general immune response throughout the plant will produce consistent results. This is the real deal and all growers should do this is my slight professional opinion. Will keep you posted with updates.

shaganja

shaganja

So I went to town with a razor knife and the other 3 plants. I did not consistently cut around all of the branches because it was caged and tough. It should stress them out. Rains in the forecast so an early harvest sounds great.
Got pics of the cuts?

simonkay

simonkay

Hey guys I'm late to the party but I have to ask
To girdle or not to girdle?

Z

Zill

Shama,

You need to back and read a few chapters in a plant physiology textbook.

Girdling. What else can we dream up to torment the plants.

Circumcising a plant trunk, limb branch kills the plant. While it is able transpire water up the dead xylem elements if you circumcise the trunk you have just separated the continuity of living cambium cell layer residing just under the bark. The cambium gives rise the new water conducting elements as well as the phloem vascular tissue. The phloem transports photosynthates to all parts of a plant. It’s an active process requiring energy. Phloem does not transport water downward. It reaches the leaves and through evapotranspiration and leaves the plant. Xylem elements don’t somehow reverse direction of the evaporation stream by interfering with intermolecular bonding that is responsible for dragging water from the roots upwards.

So silly, ATP is not needed to transport water north. It’s being sucked by dead plant fibers, xylem.

Gosh, so much misinformation.

Z

Zill

Simon,

If you enjoy killing your plants mid season. I would definitely girdle.

But please do it correctly -
Get a sharp knife or utility knife. Cut through the bark, skin to the sap wood make. Then one clean cut around the trunk. Repart, but make the second cut about 1/8 from the first circumcision . After the second cut remove the cambian tissue between the two cuts.

There you have you just killed your plant.

Zill.

Latest posts

Top Bottom