Goldfish in Our Reservoirs,,,,,

• Thread starter MaddsVonF
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mr. Greengenes

Mr. Greengenes

Good point Seamaiden on the lake cichlids. They're well adapted to extremely hard water and should thrive better than goldfish in a res. Tilapia are tough cichlids too, they ought to work well. Goldfish are very uncomfortable at temps above 80F, but cichlids and catfish can thrive at high temps, so they're probably better choices. But, wait. Come to think of it, (plants growing in) water culture systems can have problems with lack of O2 at higher temps, too. Maybe goldfish or koi in a cooler system would be better?

420king-MASSES

Good point Seamaiden on the lake cichlids. They're well adapted to extremely hard water and should thrive better than goldfish in a res. Tilapia are tough cichlids too, they ought to work well. Goldfish are very uncomfortable at temps above 80F, but cichlids and catfish can thrive at high temps, so they're probably better choices. But, wait. Come to think of it, (plants growing in) water culture systems can have problems with lack of O2 at higher temps, too. Maybe goldfish or koi in a cooler system would be better?

tilapia are bottom feeding shit eaters so they would probly be a big bene to your experiment because they would produce super shit all jokes aside they eat true terd and produce super terd :character0053::character0053::banana1sv6:

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Koi are known to dig up plant roots when housed in lilyponds, so I wouldn't go with koi. I have always loved goldies, but honestly, how about going even smaller? Lots of fish can tolerate a pretty wide range of temps and conditions, Africans can do well in a system @68F, and goldies/koi can certainly tolerate warmer temps (though they do prefer higher O2 levels).

How about guppies, White Cloud Mountain minnows, mosquito fish, platys, mollies (wild/black mollies are brackish water fish, I've used them housed with seahorses to help feed the seahorses with molly babies), or swordtails? How about zebra fish? How about something that's happier in the more acidic waters of South and Central America, seeing as how most folks who run a rez run it at lower pH values? How about Asian fishes, like tiger barbs?

I wouldn't do, for obvious reasons, certain species of cichlids that might be prone to tearing up the roots trying to arrange 'their' tank the way they think it needs to be arranged.

You see why a woman like me needs a fishroom with several hundred tanks. Or a job in the trade. It's so much fun playin' with fish!

CheechWizard

CheechWizard

I used to see peeps put little guppies in the their wash tubs in Thailand. They used them to keep the mosquitoes away.

S

supasticky

How many goldfish is too many goldfish? how do you feed them?

-Supa

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Personally.... well, I'd probably start off with two or three small to medium sized feeders (aka pond comets, aka carnival fish and there's another name they use for them in the UK but I'm drawing a complete blank--peeps in other countries, look up Carassius auratus auratus) assuming each bucket or tub is a minimum of ten gallons. But, that's coming from the "the solution to pollution is dilution" school of thought, my goal is to not stress the fish with excess nutrients in the water. So I'm not really sure where that balance can be struck, you dig?

Curb Feeler

Curb Feeler

I was a fan of the blue or yellow catfish, or maybe a flathead. They are the river monsters that seem to survive even with pollution.

They will eat plain koi food and thrive! Even carp are pretty tough and might be a possiblility.

Those pink convicts from pet stores are tough as nails also.

F

frostedlove

what about gourami they are labrenth fish and do more air breathing then anything

they can stand a huge deal of nasty water ppm

saw this add and then read this add

[email protected]

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Smaller gouramis could work. I'm not so sure how a convict would work out, I've seen them tear up planted tanks and can't imagine them not doing the same sort of thing to a fat rootball.

A

aquaponic poa

Hi all, first time here...

this is my aquaponic system with Malawi cichlids and a Parrot, Ph in 7.4 to 7.6.

gallery_49328_4150_1221819.jpg

Greatings from Brasil. Aqua

A

aquaponic poa

Hi all, first time here

this is my aquaponic system, with Malawi Cichlids and a Parrot, 280 L, Ph 7,6 and Ice from Nirvana.

Greatings from Brasil

DSC03880
F

frostedlove

Smaller gouramis could work. I'm not so sure how a convict would work out, I've seen them tear up planted tanks and can't imagine them not doing the same sort of thing to a fat rootball.

I have blue gouramis that eat just dead plant material. My planted tank is so over grown, I wish they would eat more....

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Check out what aquaponic poa's doin' up there!

I haven't had my *own* aquarium in... wow, over 15 years.

F

frostedlove

Hi all, first time here

this is my aquaponic system, with Malawi Cichlids and a Parrot, 280 L, Ph 7,6 and Ice from Nirvana.

Greatings from Brasil

He sure picked the best thread to start his first two post here...lol Very cool dude!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What kind of eel are you talking about? They are escape artists.

S

smashed1

i dont realy no i now they travel from river to river but they are good cleaners wit a lid should be write im no fish expert but

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
i dont realy no i now they travel from river to river but they are good cleaners wit a lid should be write im no fish expert but
I would guess, then, that if they're able to travel from river to river that they might be able to travel out of the reservoir. That could be a problem, especially if you end up with dead eel under your house.

S

smashed1

ive had them in fish tank they were small i never had one escape, but i have had tropicle fish on the floor in morning

Latest posts

Top Bottom