Goldfish in Our Reservoirs,,,,,

• Thread starter MaddsVonF
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mr. Greengenes

Mr. Greengenes

Ooh, frostedlove and Seamaiden, you just reminded me of one of my favorite Gourami's, Macropodus Opercularis the Paradise Fish. It's one of the toughest fish in the world. An Anabantid, so supplements air from the surface, and can take really high, or low temperatures. I bet that would be a great choice for 'resresident'. Besides that, they're really pretty! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradise_fish

420king-MASSES

well whats going on with the fish the plants the roots c-mon i subd wheres the updates and pics pics pics pics

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If aquarium water works well because it's loaded with NO3....

But I have no fish. If fishes were wishes our tanks would be full.

jyip

jyip

calling Mr.Greenjenes,,, one question for ya,,,thx

Yeah, aquaponics. Done that experiment already. I ran an entire 5g DWC bucket from start to finish on pure goldfish water, no added nutes. It worked great, probably better than the ones on water soluables. Get a good biofilter going in there to convert the fresh ammonia in the fish poop into usable nitrites and nitrates and you'll really be jamming. The biofilter is a good idea anyway even without fish. It can go a long ways towards stabilizing PH and making water soluable salt nutrients, not to mention sugars and carb additives, more palatable to plants.

Mr GreenJenes,
could you please point me towards an information source of this biofilter you speak of in your reply about a year back... When I do grow indoors it is in a 40 res topped by a 4 x 4 ft ebb n flo tray... I thought it could be of benefit if I ran my res solution with one, or maybe not thx man...

hey Gold fish experimental guy with Madd brother off his Medds mayybe?

anyhow, I cant think of ur screename,,,duhh, huh? but...
howz it all with them goldfish man? How about the plants?? I 'm curious over here,, tho I do know it about a year later and its an old thread too,,, but I still find out out if the experiment was success,,, did them G fish grow bigger,,,, did your res stink like shit later? what happened?

thx n good luck w/of all of it ...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Biological filtration simply means that you've created a "bed" for the nitrifying bacteria to live on because they can't do their thing unless they're anchored. These are benthics. The water has to pass through the media in order for these nitrifyers to do their work.

For aquaria biological filters can take the form of an undergravel filter, a hang-on-tank power filter, a canister filter, a trickle filter--ANYTHING that allows good surface area and water movement that you don't replace will end up being a biological filter.

Try setting up an aquarium and sticking small fish in it, use that water for your plants, see how they like it. The end result of all this nitrification is NO3 (nitrate), which is the preferred source of N for most all annual plants. I don't recommend goldies if the tank is going to be 10gals or less, they get too big and are too dirty. Guppies or similar would be a better choice if it's got to be small, IME.

T

treetree

when i was working at the grow store my boss showed me a email from hydro farm where the were copyrighting a flood tray with a fish tank below .....

Top Bottom