Good Air Stones?

• Thread starter Joe Fresh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

does anyone know of any really good air stones? like some that are a cut above the rest? im tired of buying dozens of air stones a year due to them breaking down or me hitting them while stirring up the mix..i bought a higher end "disk" style one thinking it was better but it just fell apart from lack of glue i guess...

was wondering what you guys thought, maybe some have found the best out there?

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Ive broke 4 air stones my self already... There cheap enough enuff i just buy new ones, Tho i did find one @ the local Meijer its a round Red 2" Fuckers like indestructible.. The blue ones are cheap POS... Try and find a red colored stone they seem to be better stones.

Tnelz

Tnelz

Love the round ones. Gotta keep them clean but they put off a ton of bubbles. But those micro diffusers are supposed to be better but I haven't used them yet. A little expensive as well.

Tnelz

Tnelz

31CPFdkD9L SY400
my personal fave right now.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
It puts out better air flow then any of the cheap blue ones ive used.. I did try out a Flat 6" one but it just don't work as well as the round ones.. I can run 1 of these round ones per 5 gallons vs, the blue crappy air stones i gotta use like 4 per bucket..

Find out things the hard way tho broke a few air stones just pulling them from the tubes.. cheap pos.. Lucky i found the red one, Think imma score a cpl more of them in fact, when i do i'll be sure to post the brand so ya'll have a chance at finding one :D

MGRox

MGRox

Man, y'all should try wood airstones in saltwater; even the cheapest blue airstone will outlast one of those :D

I could possibly add some info just so it's here about these and various styles. Generally though, longer lasting types are going to be in wastewater or aquaculture areas.

Molded silica - Which are the typical "colored" stones that you will find locally (blue most common color). These have the shortest life and least uniformity of bubbles, but are cheap to replace.

Bonded Silica - fused silica and then machined to shape. These are typically white and used largely in aquaculture or past wastewater plants. These have better uniformity, small bubbles and good life. Also can be cleaned. This category would also include the Alumina based diffusers too.

Ceramic plate - Actual fine pore ceramic blocks. These are always white and often used for permeation of gases into water. These have great uniformity and small bubble size. Also can be cleaned.

Flexible Membrane - These use various plastic membranes and are generally tubes. These are used often in wastewater and aquaculture. These have good uniformity and medium bubble size. Also can be cleaned.

Steel Bubble diffuser - These are heavy stainless types. The most common use for these is wastewater treatment. These have large bubbles and are aimed at circulation more than permeation. Also can be cleaned.

That at least covers the most common types used, so you can decide what you'd prefer there. Myself, I tend to go with the Bonded silica stones if I can and when I'm in a pinch I'll use the molded silica.

For cleaning. The bonded silica, alumina and ceramic plate; soak in Muratic acid for 20-30 minutes. For the flexible membranes, clean with soap and water.
(Calcium and biological sludge build up and clog pores in the diffusers which, over time, reduces bubbles. Cleaning with muratic is then required.)

hope this helps

Tnelz

Tnelz

Man, y'all should try wood airstones in saltwater; even the cheapest blue airstone will outlast one of those :D

I could possibly add some info just so it's here about these and various styles. Generally though, longer lasting types are going to be in wastewater or aquaculture areas.

Molded silica - Which are the typical "colored" stones that you will find locally (blue most common color). These have the shortest life and least uniformity of bubbles, but are cheap to replace.

Bonded Silica - fused silica and then machined to shape. These are typically white and used largely in aquaculture or past wastewater plants. These have better uniformity, small bubbles and good life. Also can be cleaned. This category would also include the Alumina based diffusers too.

Ceramic plate - Actual fine pore ceramic blocks. These are always white and often used for permeation of gases into water. These have great uniformity and small bubble size. Also can be cleaned.

Flexible Membrane - These use various plastic membranes and are generally tubes. These are used often in wastewater and aquaculture. These have good uniformity and medium bubble size. Also can be cleaned.

Steel Bubble diffuser - These are heavy stainless types. The most common use for these is wastewater treatment. These have large bubbles and are aimed at circulation more than permeation. Also can be cleaned.

That at least covers the most common types used, so you can decide what you'd prefer there. Myself, I tend to go with the Bonded silica stones if I can and when I'm in a pinch I'll use the molded silica.

For cleaning. The bonded silica, alumina and ceramic plate; soak in Muratic acid for 20-30 minutes. For the flexible membranes, clean with soap and water.
(Calcium and biological sludge build up and clog pores in the diffusers which, over time, reduces bubbles. Cleaning with muratic is then required.)

hope this helps
Great post bro. Thanks for sharing the wisdom. Going to look into scoring a couple! Positive vibes to yall!

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

hope this helps

great post man, thx for the tips....i knew i was always buying the cheap ones but didnt know where to get better ones

Tnelz

Tnelz

this is exactly what i bought that fell apart, the stone is only glues to the black plastic and if your pump puts out too much air pressure it will just fall apart...
I've had a few of them for a couple years never had a problem but I don't have the industrial pump either. hopefully the brother @MGRox post will lead u in the right direction.

Top Bottom