Gorilla Glue 4/5 x 5 Tent Grow

• Thread starter RootsRuler
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I guess I should've started this a little earlier but I do have a few pics when they had already sprouted.

Got a pack of GG4 beans from https://elev8seeds.com/. I've grown this cultivar a few times so I'm pretty familiar with it. What I've noticed in those times is early training is required before they stretch so that you can establish bud sites early and start moving into bloom before they start doing the sativa stretch. I got 10 seeds in the pack and sprouted them using the paper towel method. They all sprouted but only 8 survived the seedling transplant. This phenotype likes a lot of light and are pretty hardy so you can get the lights pretty close and they'll take it but you need to be careful and slowly introduce more light before you find the optimal light height because if you stress them out they'll herm on you.

They're currently in early veg/training mode and I'll snap pics as they progress.

I've been FIMming and topping these waiting to sex them so I can cull the males and begin the transition into flower. This is 14 days after initial soil line break and cotyledon leaf.

Seed 2 veg

This what they currently look like. I just gave them their second top and fim session and will probably do one more session before I start setting up auto irrigation and the screen. 7 Gallon cloth pots. I didn't order enough so I had to transplant into some 3 gals I had laying around. More pots on the way. Using a LUX app on my phone to position plants for maximum light exposure. Outer plants are getting an average of 30,000 to 35,000 lux while those directly under are getting between 45,000 - 50,000 lux so we're in the ballpark!

Haircut

Grow Tent is a 5 x 5 LA Garden tent. AC Infinity T6 fan w/ Controller 67. 6" pole fan and 8" ceiling mount fan for air circulation. I would recommend going with a full ACI kit. I should've done that from the beginning. Lesson learned and will do that for any future tent purchases. Future upgrades will be an auto irrigation system once they get their last haircut and a small camera system with a few cameras to check on them if I'm away for any length of time. I try and not open and close the tent so as not to disturb them or the environment. I only enter if I have a task at hand like topping or feeding or just to check for bug/fungus infestation. Now that I'll have my auto irrigate going that'll be less intrusion and I can let them do their thing.
Tent interior a

Auto Irrigation Distribution Head. Fabricated a mount to stand off tent pole so that I had room to work 1/4" drip line. The idea is to have a system I can use so if I have to be away from the girls for a few days I won't have to worry about watering them. The system will work off a variation of a flood and drain system. 30 gal plastic food grade drum for a reservoir with a lid. Lid will have a hole with small backdraft filter for make up air inside drum and to keep nutrient odor inside drum. Drum will have a small dolly for easy removal come reservoir refresh time. Adjustable pond pump inside drum. Pump will be activated by a digital timer.

Nutrient will pump to distro head and will distribute out to 4 - 6 plants with feeder/supply lines from distro head. Each plant will get a feed ring made up of 5 drip T's. One T will connect to feeder/supply line and the other 4 will be evenly spaced in a circle with 3rd leg pointing towards base of the plant cocked at 45* angle to penetrate just below the soil line. This should be more than adequate to feed the root ball and keep soil at desired wetness.

Water volume will be controlled from 3 points. Pump volume adjustment, Timer or Distro head volume adjustment. Any one of the 3 can be used. I usually adjust water volume delivery through the pump but I can fine tune flow with Distro head or leave them all wide open and do it through timer schedule.

I like to see about 20% runoff on watering so I'll setup an evacuation system for the Dollar store wash tubs I'm using to catch runoff. Don't want the roots drowning in runoff so I'll hot glue some vinyl hose to the inside wall of the tub with the opening of the tube around an 1/8" off the bottom of the tub. I'll do this for each tub. I'll run each hose to a plastic hose manifold connected to another pump and timer and will activate 30 minutes after feed water pump shuts off to give pots time to drain out completely. I'll direct runoff back into reservoir along with dehumidifier condensate I have outside of tent to control tent humidity.

Distro head mount

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

C'mon Calyxs!!!!!ā™€ļøā™€ļøā™€ļøā™€ļøšŸ™šŸ™šŸ™šŸ™

First pic post was on 7/28/22. These are from 7/31/22. I Super cropped the main stems right below the current node to let the other branches catch up.

Average Daily Temp/Humidity/VPD for the last 24 days/soil break - 75.5F/58.5%/1.25kPa

No signs of stress other than some wind burn on a few leaves trying to dial in the fan speed for circulation. One of the plants top node leaves are canoeing a little from the high LUX exposure but they should harden off in the next few days. If not I'll move them to the outer edge of the light fan where the light isn't so intense so that they aren't being blasted by LUX. LUX readings at the top node read 54,000 LUX. Might be a bit much for it. We'll see.

73122prefeed closeup

Side View
73122prefeed sideview

73122preefeed overview a

Last edited:
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
C'mon Calyxs!!!!!ā™€ļøā™€ļøā™€ļøā™€ļøšŸ™šŸ™šŸ™šŸ™

First pic post was on 7/28/22. These are from 7/31/22. I Super cropped the main stems right below the current node to let the other branches catch up.

Average Daily Temp/Humidity/VPD for the last 24 days/soil break - 75.5F/58.5%/1.25kPa

No signs of stress other than some wind burn on a few leaves trying to dial in the fan speed for circulation. One of the plants top node leaves are canoeing a little from the high LUX exposure but they should harden off in the next few days. If not I'll move them to the outer edge of the light fan where the light isn't so intense so that they aren't being blasted by LUX. LUX readings at the top node read 54,000 LUX. Might be a bit much for it. We'll see.

View attachment 1266605

Side View
View attachment 1266606

View attachment 1266607
Hey, nice job, somewhere in my grey matter I have this 25,000 lux is all vegging plants can use and I've run with that. I can't quote a source but I myself only dial it up to 54,000 in flower. I'm pretty new to led and I have 2 SE3000 I flower under but I'm still vegging with T5 fluorescent because I like how close I can have the light to my plants and the added heat & blue spectrum from them.....

I just had to comment about the high lux you're vegging under.....is that something you've done in the past? I'd be concerned about frying them too early in their life with that intensity.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Hey, nice job, somewhere in my grey matter I have this 25,000 lux is all vegging plants can use and I've run with that. I can't quote a source but I myself only dial it up to 54,000 in flower. I'm pretty new to led and I have 2 SE3000 I flower under but I'm still vegging with T5 fluorescent because I like how close I can have the light to my plants and the added heat & blue spectrum from them.....

I just had to comment about the high lux you're vegging under.....is that something you've done in the past? I'd be concerned about frying them too early in their life with that intensity.
Yes! I've found that the higher lux at the beginning tends to harden them off for when flower comes but it could be just me thinking that's what's happening and you're probably right. I don't have a ton of experience with LED's as most of my experience has been with high power warehouse lighting like Gavita DE1000's or the older air cooled 1000w hoods with single ended HID's. Besides, it's a phone app so I'm not sure how accurate it really is. The VPD seems to be where it should be so I'm going to go off that, more so, the LUX readings would be more a differential between plants rather than actual LUX readings. I'll look up what you said and see if that is the case. Thanks for the compliment and the tip!

Last edited:
RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Quick search is saying there are factors like distance from plants etc which makes sense as the same happens in HID lit rooms but in my case I'm running 2 LED's pulling approximately 275 watts each at full power. This chart is supposed to give a watt/lux breakdown.

Cob lux distance watttage

As you can see the wattage my lamps put out goes beyond the chart numbers but I can get pretty close as far as how far I should set the light distance vs how much lux I want to give the plants. It looks like, in general, 45,000 is about all they'll take at their upper limit. Going by the graph it looks like optimal light height at 45,000 lux is around 25" - 26" with a 275 watt light. Right now the lights are hanging at 18" at the highest point on the canopy and around 22" at low canopy. Since the plant at high point is starting to canoe it's probably getting a little too much LUX. I'll back it off some and see how it does.

Thanks again for the tip!! šŸ‘

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

a small camera system with a few cameras to check on them if I'm away
Have you figured out which cameras? I've been thinking about adding one. I take a picture with my phone every day, but, as you say, it would be nice to monitor the plants without bothering them.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Quick search is saying there are factors like distance from plants etc which makes sense as the same happens in HID lit rooms but in my case I'm running 2 LED's pulling approximately 275 watts each at full power. This chart is supposed to give a watt/lux breakdown.

View attachment 1266720

As you can see the wattage my lamps put out goes beyond the chart numbers but I can get pretty close as far as how far I should set the light distance vs how much lux I want to give the plants. It looks like, in general, 45,000 is about all they'll take at their upper limit. Going by the graph it looks like optimal light height at 45,000 lux is around 25" - 26" with a 275 watt light. Right now the lights are hanging at 18" at the highest point on the canopy and around 22" at low canopy. Since the plant at high point is starting to canoe it's probably getting a little too much LUX. I'll back it off some and see how it does.

Thanks again for the tip!! šŸ‘
There we go charts are much better than an old bad memory 45,000 not 25,000 is max I don't worry too much about the speed of my growing I have 2 months plus between crops usually and they are plenty big by then. I'm just happy to have them healthy, I have more problems with running out of space than I do with flipping small plants. I've saved this so I don't give out bad info next time...
šŸ˜
šŸ˜

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Have you figured out which cameras? I've been thinking about adding one. I take a picture with my phone every day, but, as you say, it would be nice to monitor the plants without bothering them.
I've been looking around the web for a small form factor camera that can give me an entire view with only one camera instead of trying to keep a bunch of cameras all linked together.

Basically what I found that would be compatible would be a baby monitor like this:

or an outdoor surveillance camera like this:

Kind of leaning towards the outdoor surveillance since it allows me to move the camera around in real time and I can zoom in and out if I see something of interest I want to get a closer look at. This one is meant to be used in a front porch light or wherever there is a light bulb socket.

I have a busted lamp that my GF has been complaining I need to toss because it's broken. I like to save stuff like that in case I need to fabricate something to suit my needs. I can use the lamp bulb socket and mount it in a plastic electrical ceiling fixture box and use the lamp cord for power. I can use the PEX clips mounted to 2 sides of the electrical box and clip the box into a corner with the camera and I should have full view of the tent with zoom capability viewable in real time from my phone!!! I've found that most of these security cameras record video since they have motion detection although you can probably turn it off in the app. Both have two way communication which I also won't need but what I CAN use but not sure how it'll affect girls is night vision/IR.

Last edited:
RootsRuler

RootsRuler

There we go charts are much better than an old bad memory 45,000 not 25,000 is max I don't worry too much about the speed of my growing I have 2 months plus between crops usually and they are plenty big by then. I'm just happy to have them healthy, I have more problems with running out of space than I do with flipping small plants. I've saved this so I don't give out bad info next time...
šŸ˜
šŸ˜
Fo' Sho'! Always good to have good info.....

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Night Vision/IR from camera is OK and, supposedly, helps put the girls to sleep faster. Learn something new everyday.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I think this is the camera I'm going to go with.

I can just plug it into the power strip that's connected on the pole in the corner, link it to my phone and I'm done.

Did a little LST with some paper clips I had laying around. 8/2

LST paper clip

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Looks like I'm starting to see calyxes forming on all the plants. I was kind of hoping one would be male and the jury is still out but it looks like they'll all be female.

I'll take the best 6 and take some cuts off the other 2 and stick them outside in the garden and let Mother Nature take it from there.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

8/8

Getting a little crowded. I'm waiting on one more 7 gal to repot one of the girls that will stay. Even though it isn't hitting me in the face I'm pretty sure all the plants are girls. They all have the Bract Calyxs which signify female but no real pistils to confirm. I've had plants in the past fake me out shooting bracts only to have eggs show up!šŸ˜”

I guess if one of them does shoot balls I'll just have to unwind it from the net and stick one of the others in its place that I'm putting outside. I'm going to start setting up for the flip so that when my cloth pot shows up I just need to repot and place in its bin then net it over and switch the light schedule.

The humidity is high in the tent but where I'm at it's at 75% humidity outside. It's supposed to start dropping soon. The 50 pint dehu is not keeping up so I may have to start thinking about upgrading to a larger dehu.

Current Tent specs are: Temp - 77*, Humidity - 69%, VPD - .74

I need to get the humidity down in the tent to bring up the VPD. Trying to level it out at around 1.3 VPD

I see an ACI T8 w Controller 69 in my future.......

8 7

Last edited:
RootsRuler

RootsRuler

8/11

Pulled the other 2 females and lollipopped the remaining 6. Fed them some Bloom formula to start loading up the soil along with getting them to start uptaking Phosphorous so that when they flip they'll already have what they need to supercharge their flowering stage. I'll do this for a week before I put the girls into dark for 36 hours then switch up the light schedule to 12/12. I also included some Hormex to help with stress since I was giving them a pretty severe haircut.

In veg I've been feeding on a heavy/medium/light/water schedule. GG4 isn't a heavy feeder for the most part. It likes to stay on the drier side of things when it comes to feedings so I don't feed it everyday and allow the soil to dry back some before feeding again. So initial feed was heavy at 1200ppm. Fed again 3 days later at 1,000ppm. Next feeding was at 800ppm then just water. Once I get through to the water phase the next watering will start up with the heavy feed PPM until it's time to flip them.

Current tent specs: Temp 78.8, Humidity 60%, VPD 1.11

Trimmed for flower

Last edited:
RootsRuler

RootsRuler

8/14

Fabricated some screen supports out of 1/2" EMT conduit, 5/8" poplar wood dowel and 1/2" PEX clips so that the entire floor space is screened. I didn't like how the screen stretched over the middle but the sides were all curved in towards the middle. The screen supports will also add some rigidity to the tent. Screen is approximately 11" from soil line so I should have minimal larf. Still need to tuck some more branches but I'm waiting for them to get a little longer.

Did my 2nd trim before I flip into flower so they're ready to do their thing!!!!šŸ„³

Placed the watering rings around each main stem and will complete feed line to distro head install tomorrow. I'll probably get the main feed line from the distro head to the pump installed, set up the timer and test out the entire system too. Once that's done I'll mix up around 20 gallons of feed water and fill the reservoir.

Camera manufacturer messaged me telling me my order would be delayed 11 days so I won't be able to set it up before I leave for a few days for Cancun. I really wanted to have it up and running to see how it did in real time. Oh well....

I have 59" of clearance from screen top to ceiling bars. If I allow 3" from ceiling to light and assume that at finish the lights will be 18" from the tops of the colas that should give me 38" of grow space for colas. GG4 likes to stretch so I'm going to need every inch of it!

8 14

Last edited:
RootsRuler

RootsRuler

8/25

UH OH!!! I F'ed up!šŸ˜³

I went to Cancun for a week and decided at the last minute to keep them in veg rather than flipping the light schedule!šŸ˜Ø

This is what I got when I opened the tent after coming back....šŸ˜²

8 25 overgrown

I gave them a nice deep watering before I left and they've been drinking off it for the last 7 days. I was going to turn on the auto irrigation system but since I decided to keep them in veg I figured the deep watering would suffice and let them dry back real good so that they eat up all that nitrogen and get ready to go nuts!

Fun Fact... The 2 plants I pulled and placed in the greenhouse, I thought, were both girls but turns out one is a boy and has a bunch of pods ready to pollinate my girl so I can get lots of GG4 seeds!!!šŸ¤©šŸ„³

I gave them another deep watering of grow to keep the nitrogen level up to get ready for flip but first I needed to get them under control and that means tucking branches...

8 25 overgrown  tuck

I'm going to let the leaves fan towards the light for the next day or so I know what I need to trim to keep the airflow going in the canopy and flip the light schedule.

I hope I didn't let them go to long but a good haircut should get them back to where they need to be to make sure we finish before I get cola burn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom