9/25

Current tent conditions with lights on:

Temp - 75.7*
Humidity - 54%
VPD - 1.4 kPa

9 25

ninjadip

ninjadip

@RootsRuler Hey boss! i saw in another thread that you said you don't like to use feminized seeds, i didn't want to take over that thread, so would you mind explaining here? I'm very new and curious what the cons are to feminized seeds, is the process of how they are "feminized"? Reminds me of old futurama episode with "gender bender" lol
My current grow is based on feminized seeds, i bought 5 and had success with 4/5. The 5th split open with tap root but never came out, but I might have killed it idk. These were purchased through ILGM but my actual box said Crop King.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

@RootsRuler Hey boss! i saw in another thread that you said you don't like to use feminized seeds, i didn't want to take over that thread, so would you mind explaining here? I'm very new and curious what the cons are to feminized seeds, is the process of how they are "feminized"? Reminds me of old futurama episode with "gender bender" lol
My current grow is based on feminized seeds, i bought 5 and had success with 4/5. The 5th split open with tap root but never came out, but I might have killed it idk. These were purchased through ILGM but my actual box said Crop King.
It's really based more on my preference than anything scientific. Feminized seeds are regular photoperiod seeds that have been treated with a chemical called Gibberellic acid or colloidal silver that forces the seed to express itself in a female format. Just don't like the idea of chemically inducing sex. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the smoke itself. Again , more my preference than any real issue.

ninjadip

ninjadip

It's really based more on my preference than anything scientific. Feminized seeds are regular photoperiod seeds that have been treated with a chemical called Gibberellic acid or colloidal silver that forces the seed to express itself in a female format. Just don't like the idea of chemically inducing sex. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the smoke itself. Again , more my preference than any real issue.
thanks for answering, i thought it might be because of the chemical process.

However.....
if consensual, chemically induced sex is great! 🤣😎

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Fem seeds are not necessarily treated per se self seeds expressed usually as S1 etc are. Everything is a chemical compound even THC but that doesn’t make it bad. What you are talking about is plant hormones that trick the plant into changing a portion or all of the plant into changing sex. Gibberellic acid is naturally occurring in the plants.

Many actually prefer selfed seeds and especially as they get further refined like S3’s due to a less diverse and more uniformed genetic pool. Giving a much more uniform structure to the plants from seed

Last edited:
ninjadip

ninjadip

Fem seeds are not treated… selfed seeds expressed usually as S1 etc are. Everything is a chemical compound even THC but that doesn’t make it bad. What you are talking about is plant hormones that trick the plant into changing a portion or all of the plant into changing sex. Gibberellic acid is naturally occurring in the plants.

Many actually prefer selfed seeds and especially as they get further refined like S3’s due to a less diverse and more uniformed genetic pool. Giving a much more uniform structure to the plants from seed
You just learned me something @Aqua Man !! not very hard to do lol. Does the below info seem accurate?

Maybe because I do not do breeding and stuff, you mentioned some terms that were unfamiliar to me. I found this very concise and informative description of what S1(selfed) seeds are. I had no idea. I want to share in case anyone else is curious. @RootsRuler hope you don't mind.

WHAT ARE F1 AND F2 CANNABIS SEEDS?​

F1 genetics explained

The terms “F1” “F2” and “S1” are some of the first that beginner breeders will come across. They refer to outbreeding, or producing hybrid seeds, which is the practice of cross-breeding two plants that originally have completely different genetics. In order to do so, two stable parents must be chosen so the pollen from the male can be used to fertilize the female.
This will result in the hybrid seeds the breeders are after, and they’re known as “F1” seeds, or first generation seeds. F1 seeds will be the most stable of any seeds that follow it in future generations, and those generations will be known as “F2” seeds, “F3” seeds, and so forth as more seeds are made. However, F1 seeds are the most sought after by breeders because they grow about 25 percent faster, and they grow larger and with more vigor that subsequent generations.

WHAT ARE S1 SEEDS?​

In addition to F1 and F2 seeds, there are also S1 seeds. The “S” in this case refers to “self” or “selfed”, meaning that these seeds will be selfed-generation. They do not need a male plant for pollen but rather, the female plant is reversed so that pollen can be collected. The pollen will then be used to pollinate the mother plant or a clone of the mother to get S1 seeds. Males can be selfed as well, but in both cases it’s a complex process that requires great focus from even the most experienced breeders.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Awesome info thanks yall. The Purple Dragon Balls I'm growin are apparently F5s.
Does anyone know what is meant by the letters and #s you sometimes see after the strain name? Like Alien Dragon BX1 for instance?

ninjadip

ninjadip

Awesome info thanks yall. The Purple Dragon Balls I'm growin are apparently F5s.
Does anyone know what is meant by the letters and #s you sometimes see after the strain name? Like Alien Dragon BX1 for instance?
F5 can be explained above in my post.
So 5th "first" generation seeds, or just the fifth generation (breeding with its sisters/brothers (incest))) since the beginning of that hybrid.

I just learned this too, i love learning, total nerd:

Backcrossing(BX) in cannabis breeding is the process of taking an F1 hybrid strain and breeding it with the original parent plant. The genetics of the F1 strain are crossed with the parent plant’s genetics, and the resulting seeds are referred to as BX1. Backcrossing cannabis plants is essentially how to stabilize a strain – in other words, how to preserve and guarantee certain desired traits that are shown in a particular plant.

Edit: Addition:
The one type we haven't discussed is IBL, might as well put that too. It's all very interesting.

IBL seeds, or “inbred line” seeds, are in-bred descendants of the original F1 cannabis seed hybrids. The term IBL is typically adopted after the F line has reached F5. Successful IBL breeding occurs after so much hybridization between plants of the same lineage that the IBL becomes almost like a strain of its own variety, having been bred from plants with near-identical genetics. IBL seeds have most likely been bred together to preserve and maximize certain desired traits, such as the pungency of the Skunk family.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

F5 can be explained above in my post.
So 5th "first" generation seeds, or just the fifth generation (breeding with its sisters/brothers (incest))) since the beginning of that hybrid.

I just learned this too, i love learning, total nerd:

Backcrossing(BX) in cannabis breeding is the process of taking an F1 hybrid strain and breeding it with the original parent plant. The genetics of the F1 strain are crossed with the parent plant’s genetics, and the resulting seeds are referred to as BX1. Backcrossing cannabis plants is essentially how to stabilize a strain – in other words, how to preserve and guarantee certain desired traits that are shown in a particular plant.

Edit: Addition:
The one type we haven't discussed is IBL, might as well put that too. It's all very interesting.

IBL seeds, or “inbred line” seeds, are in-bred descendants of the original F1 cannabis seed hybrids. The term IBL is typically adopted after the F line has reached F5. Successful IBL breeding occurs after so much hybridization between plants of the same lineage that the IBL becomes almost like a strain of its own variety, having been bred from plants with near-identical genetics. IBL seeds have most likely been bred together to preserve and maximize certain desired traits, such as the pungency of the Skunk family.

now that is frikkin sick man. Great explanation and I appreciate it. It never made much sense and now it is crystal clear hah 💪

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

10/13
Week 6

38 days since 12/12

Current Tent Conditions:

Temperature - 79*
Humidity - 54%
VPD - 1.4 kPa

10 13

Couldn't find my Trich loupe so I ordered another on Amazon. I'll take some closeups once I figure out how to stabilize the camera to take good closeups with the macro lens I just got.

ninjadip

ninjadip

@RootsRuler it's a real b* to get that loupe in focus for camera. I have two, one that attaches to phone and one viviosun. Oddly enough it's easier to get focus holding the one that's not designed for a phone to my phone's camera, than using the one that is made for the phone.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

@RootsRuler it's a real b* to get that loupe in focus for camera. I have two, one that attaches to phone and one viviosun. Oddly enough it's easier to get focus holding the one that's not designed for a phone to my phone's camera, than using the one that is made for the phone.
I guess we're gonna find out in the next few days!!!😀

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

10/13
Week 6

38 days since 12/12

Current Tent Conditions:

Temperature - 79*
Humidity - 54%
VPD - 1.4 kPa

Couldn't find my Trich loupe so I ordered another on Amazon. I'll take some closeups once I figure out how to stabilize the camera to take good closeups with the macro lens I just got.

SCROG is on point bud great work. Colas are everywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom