grams per watt makes perfect sense

• Thread starter shoestring
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
shoestring

shoestring

Then change your strain to one that matures faster. Make sure you never veg in your bloom room. Count only the time and wattage in that room. You could add up all the final weights over a years worth of harvests. Then divide that by 12 to get your gpw every 30 days. Its all about efficiency and changing variables to increase that efficiency. Wattage of flowering light and time it takes to get them flowers ars really the only two constants to measure by that makes any sense. Whether you veg out just a few bushes and a buddy has whole flats of just rooted clones with only a few days veg time does not and should not matter. What matters is whats going on under them flowering lights over so many days. Measured up against your weight in grams. I totally get what jorge was saying.years ago. Watts and time.

Last edited:
Camdawg

Camdawg

Once I was really high and talking about GPW with a buddy, and developed an equation factoring plant count, veg time, and wattage to come up with a true universal way to factor yield efficiency. I think I even saved it on my laptop somewhere... hmm I'm going to try to find it lol.

Math is awesome.

Find that yet?

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Then change your strain to one that matures faster. Make sure you never veg in your bloom room. Count only the time and wattage in that room. You could add up all the final weights over a years worth of harvests. Then divide that by 12 to get your gpw every 30 days. Its all about efficiency and changing variables to increase that efficiency. Wattage of flowering light and time it takes to get them flowers ars really the only two constants to measure by that makes any sense. Whether you veg out just a few bushes and a buddy has whole flats of just rooted clones with only a few days veg time does not and should not matter. What matters is whats going on under them flowering lights over so many days. Measured up against your weight in grams. I totally get what jorge was saying.years ago. Watts and time.
I think I'm following you but correct me if I'm wrong , yours saying bulb watts only not all watts for flowering environment?

shoestring

shoestring

Exactly. Counting all the wattage used would be silly cuz not everyone has the same equioment. And besides we can add or remove (change variables) those watts. Bloom light wattage is what counts. We all have it and it is a constant we can lean on to get a worthwhile number to base.our efficiency on in grams

purpleberry

purpleberry

Other things can come into play. Say you have a 10x10 space and that's it, you cant change this. Put 4k in there and pull 10lbs and get 1.12 gpw Throw 9k in there pull 15lbs and get .74 gpw Ill take the lower gpw and pay the extra power.
Also quality of the strain and demand for say a OG kush that takes you 10.5 weeks vrs a similar yielding strain that takes 8 weeks but is harder to move and you get less $ for it. GPW and time are not everything you should measure your success with.

shoestring

shoestring

Hey JK. Thats the very reason why you DONT count time.in veg towards gpw per 30 days. Think about it. The veg time is something you can change and work on towards getting a better gram per watt per.month in the flowering room. Its a variable that is changeable. You have to base your weight off of the constants that are there no matter what. Again....watts of flowering lighting and time. It is what it is. Theres no getting around it. Lol. And there really isnt ANY other factord that should come into play. Now if your talking cost of electricity and street.pricing thats just a whole different ball game. The gpw per 30 days is just the most.practical and fair way to base a grow on. Theres really no other way thats objective and fair. My grower friends sometimes kick and scream about it too.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
IMO gram per watt is not even relevant in bigger grows, it more about total output per square foot and final unit cost..output per watt of light is such and insignificant number in the big scheme of things its almost not even worth tracking...space is rented and paid for by the square foot, I have yet to see one that rents by the light or watt, total amperage use and availability is a much more frequently used number as far as power goes..in commercial grows like retail it is much more important to know what your total revenue per square foot is than just about anything else..your looking more for your total effeciency for the space which includes square feet required, power consumption, labor, nutrients, processing etc... not what the individual light does..if you look at how a retail store figures their total sales volume minus overhead then divided by their total square footage you would be way better off

rollon

rollon

gpw is a pretty good formula. But when it comes to weed u have one more variable shoestring, moisture content in finished product. peace

T

toquer

IMO gram per watt is not even relevant in bigger grows, it more about total output per square foot and final unit cost..output per watt of light is such and insignificant number in the big scheme of things its almost not even worth tracking...space is rented and paid for by the square foot

Totally agree!!!
My final monthly cost is about 2.40/sqft including all costs associated with the operation and a perpetual cycle. Including finance cost of equipment over the 24 month lifespan of said equipment. Can't depreciate it much longer.
My gross revenue is about 10/sqft. If I can create efficiency I yield more. It's different once it's a business.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

IMO gram per watt is not even relevant in bigger grows, it more about total output per square foot and final unit cost..output per watt of light is such and insignificant number in the big scheme of things its almost not even worth tracking...space is rented and paid for by the square foot, I have yet to see one that rents by the light or watt, total amperage use and availability is a much more frequently used number as far as power goes..in commercial grows like retail it is much more important to know what your total revenue per square foot is than just about anything else..your looking more for your total effeciency for the space which includes square feet required, power consumption, labor, nutrients, processing etc... not what the individual light does..if you look at how a retail store figures their total sales volume minus overhead then divided by their total square footage you would be way better off

IMO this makes more sense then gpw.....for me, space in an indoor garden is more valuable then light because its very hard and sometimes impossible for me to add space, but almost anybody can toss an extra bulb in a room and boost the A/C a little. Getting the most out of the space you have shows true efficiency.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Well if it just about space and how you use it why not make the formula weight divided by space, like lbs. X sq ft.? Or oz divided by sq ft?
my operating costs are $4.oo per sq ft veg and bloom.income for said area is $22.00 per sg ft.both figures are for a 1 month period.
I think gpw is more universal to measure yourself against other growers, if.... everyone tells the truth lol.

I think another good comparison would be total weight per quarter (3 months) or 1 year. To measure efficiency, you would take into account everything else, like Texas Kid mentioned.

Comparing ourselves to other growers is kinda like comparing ourselves to other people who exercise. We all have different genetic dispositions and different goals when exercising, so just because someone can bench press a lil more, does not mean they are all-around stronger. GPW and grams per sq. ft. are good for ballpark figures on where you stand compared to others, but I dont believe its the end all of comparisons.

There are so many different factors we can compare to one another its ridiculous, but something that is not taken into account when comparing efficiency is quality. I rather hit 0.9 gpw of sweet, dankitty goodness, instead of 2.3 gpw of 'mids'.

just my 1 in a half cent...

DO IT

DO IT

JK is right here when it comes to commercial and he hit a point when he said you would have to count the veg ..... Where to start o_O

Ok, in 96 I graduated from HS And decided to go with a buddy to Amsterdam. At that time this was the Mecca for MJ. We stayed at a place called the hemp hotel where I became good friends with the bartender down stairs in the "lobby". At the time her mom a lady by the name of Mila owned a smart shop and invited me to come by and check it out. She sold all types of things from hash to mushrooms and all types of medicinal plants along with something called the Ice-O-Lator which she explained was for making bubble hash. I ended up going back to AD 6 more times over the next 2 yrs the longest stay being 3 months. In Mila's shop I ended up meeting ppl like Jorge and soma, let's say it was a great learning experience. The whole GPW measurement was based on the SOG method that was used at the time in AD. if you have ever been there you know that the homes are the biggest so many small plant was the way to grow. This meant 0 veg time. They would put the babies in and wait to see them come out of shock and go str8 bloom. Jorge came up with the GPW thing not thinking about a 30 day veg cycle. In the equation you are converting energy into something(bud). Jorge saw that a good or dialed in grow was producing 1 gram of bud for every watt of light produced in a 60 day bloom cycle. When JK said we would have to work our veg into the equation he was absolutely right because we are using watts to grow the plants to a desired hight. In AD they did not do this they where doing SOG grows with no veg time, so yes this is an old formula that needs some tweaking. I also agree with JK on the commercial aspect of this as this is my style. I am worried about GPW at the end of the day but I am more worried on how much it cost me to produce that gram of bud. The large majority of growers are considered hobbiest growers as they do not have a clue what a # cost to produce at the end of the day and what their profit margin is.

So by the old formula only considering the bloom phase of the grow 1GPW is the standard. This should be the minimum you are producing from 1 watt of light. I ordered the new DE fixtures and this might be the only game changer in the last 20yrs. Let's see what happens.

T

toquer

@DO IT the DE's you go with 1000's? I got the soon to be available 750's and they output more than a traditional 1000's. How will this change the equation? @ 3/4 wattage? I see my gpw increasing. So I created efficiency with lighting. Veg dropped from 7k to 3200k due to increase in light efficiencys well. Output will be determined in a few months. But I see GPW as highly variable depending on equipment in the next two years. After that I'm out.

DO IT

DO IT

all i have heard about the new bulbs with fewer watts and more power are PREDICTIONS. I am still waiting to see the numbers, but i am buying in to the new tech thats coming out. 1k all the way;)

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
@DO IT the DE's you go with 1000's? I got the soon to be available 750's and they output more than a traditional 1000's. How will this change the equation? @ 3/4 wattage? I see my gpw increasing. So I created efficiency with lighting. Veg dropped from 7k to 3200k due to increase in light efficiencys well. Output will be determined in a few months. But I see GPW as highly variable depending on equipment in the next two years. After that I'm out.

1000's can be adjusted

600w-660w-750w-1000w-1150w

Ther may even be an 880w but I don't remember. Anyway why would you buy a 750w fixture when you could just dim a DE 1k?

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
JK is right here when it comes to commercial and he hit a point when he said you would have to count the veg ..... Where to start o_O

Ok, in 96 I graduated from HS And decided to go with a buddy to Amsterdam. At that time this was the Mecca for MJ. We stayed at a place called the hemp hotel where I became good friends with the bartender down stairs in the "lobby". At the time her mom a lady by the name of Mila owned a smart shop and invited me to come by and check it out. She sold all types of things from hash to mushrooms and all types of medicinal plants along with something called the Ice-O-Lator which she explained was for making bubble hash. I ended up going back to AD 6 more times over the next 2 yrs the longest stay being 3 months. In Mila's shop I ended up meeting ppl like Jorge and soma, let's say it was a great learning experience. The whole GPW measurement was based on the SOG method that was used at the time in AD. if you have ever been there you know that the homes are the biggest so many small plant was the way to grow. This meant 0 veg time. They would put the babies in and wait to see them come out of shock and go str8 bloom. Jorge came up with the GPW thing not thinking about a 30 day veg cycle. In the equation you are converting energy into something(bud). Jorge saw that a good or dialed in grow was producing 1 gram of bud for every watt of light produced in a 60 day bloom cycle. When JK said we would have to work our veg into the equation he was absolutely right because we are using watts to grow the plants to a desired hight. In AD they did not do this they where doing SOG grows with no veg time, so yes this is an old formula that needs some tweaking. I also agree with JK on the commercial aspect of this as this is my style. I am worried about GPW at the end of the day but I am more worried on how much it cost me to produce that gram of bud. The large majority of growers are considered hobbiest growers as they do not have a clue what a # cost to produce at the end of the day and what their profit margin is.

So by the old formula only considering the bloom phase of the grow 1GPW is the standard. This should be the minimum you are producing from 1 watt of light. I ordered the new DE fixtures and this might be the only game changer in the last 20yrs. Let's see what happens.

Smart shops are truly incredible!!! Makes me miss the Dam.

Top Bottom