Grandma Dana's grow diary 1Q 2022

• Thread starter CannaDana
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CannaDana

CannaDana

So I'ma start a grow diary right here. First, a few basic facts:

Basics
Two strains grown: Kush Mints (Bubba Kush x Animal Mints) and GG4 (Chem's Sister, Sour Dubb & Chocolate Diesel), both photoperiod, all female from clones. Both strains are "clone only" strains.​
Grow space: 50 sq ft tent​
Lights: Two Grower's Choice E-ROI720 full spectrum LED bar array lights on controller​
Medium: Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil in 5 gallon fabric bags​
Watering: Every 2-3 days PRN, ~1 gal. per plant or to slight runoff, with R/O water. I give about 1 liter at a time, giving 15-45 minutes between doses to ensure full absorption.​
Feeding: Approximately every other watering, 1-2 times per week (2x max) with about 1/2-2/3 recommended dose.​
Nutrients/Fertilizers: Fox Farms Grow Big, Big Bloom and Tiger Bloom, and CalMag

Environment
Temperature: Kept between 70-85 degreed Fahrenheit.​
Relative Humidity: 55% +/- 5%​
PPFD: 500-750 during veg, with sunrise and sunset function​
Air: 1 exhaust fan w/ carbon filter, and two mounted oscillating fans​
CO2 System: None​
Photoperiod: 18/6 hrs​
Plants are doing pretty well so far. The Kush Mints are so wonderfully bushy that I'm going to hate having to defoliate them.

Photo from today:

Grow room 021422.jpg

I plan to leave these in veg until the GG4 is about 4 feet tall. The Kush Mints are squat plants, so will likely be about a foot shorter. At that point I'll defoliate and then flip 'em.

Never done an online grow diary before. I keep a handwritten notebook journal where I make entries most days (in cursive so no one can read it 😁), always documenting temperature and relative humidity swings, feedings, waterings, and any changes to equipment or environment, including comments on how I feel the plants are doing day-to-day. These are wonderful plants that will constantly talk to you. You just need to spend time with them and pay attention to what they are saying. It's a very nice give-and-take relationship.

Thus begins the diary.

Last edited:
PK1

PK1

Supporter
they look green and healthy.
on the top right you have a bookmark button which you can book mark anyone's post. Title them properly and you can always refer back to it.

CannaDana

CannaDana

Where we are today on the bedroom farm.

I am coming to the realization that the GG4 doesn't like as much light as the Kush Mints does. So I've reluctantly turned down the intensity to what I think the GG4 will tolerate.

I love the super even coverage of the bar lights. I'll never use anything else.

MyGrowYo

MyGrowYo

Looking great.
How do you get in there to water all of that? I read your original post and it says PRN. Is that short for “add water as needed”?

CannaDana

CannaDana

Looking great.
How do you get in there to water all of that? I read your original post and it says PRN. Is that short for “add water as needed”?
I use a garden wand. It's an extendo-mendo one so I can reach all the way back. I pump water (and nutes) from a 50 gallon container, through a hose and the garden wand.

But when I need to, I can move plants around so I can get in-between them and to the back of the tent. Plus, of course, the walls all unzip.

CannaDana

CannaDana

F*ck it. I'm flippin' these f*ckers to flower this weekend. Had a house fire scare this morning, and the first thing I thought was that it started in my grow room. It didn't. But even though they are still small, I'm going to strip 'em and flip 'em this weekend.

I already have more weed than I can consume in five years. I'm going to add the harvest from this grow to it. There's no need for me to maximize my yield. It's not like I'm selling it to anyone. I gave away a bunch to friends for Christmas. I'm still giving it away. So, might as well get this done.

I started growing for medical consumption. And it turns out that I really like growing. But, you know, there's a limit to how much is useful for me. And while I would love to be a licensed cultivator in my state and to sell truckloads of flower, I'm not doing that now and I don't have any outlet for doing so. I don't have any mentors or cultivator friends. So there doesn't seem much point in continuing along this path the way I currently am. Which is depressing as f*ck because did I mention that I love doing this?

Testing on the two strains from my last grow came back at 31.8% and 24.4% THC (with 0% CBD), so it only takes a little. Wish I had a path to growing and getting rid of it that wouldn't involve risk of jail. I have no mentors or friends in the know. So, with the house fire this morning scaring me, I think it's time to flip this grow and figure out where I go from here. I so want to grow and sell, but I have no discernible path to that, and it seems stupid to grow it and then just throw it away.

Okay, done whining for now.

/whine

GanjaFarmer24

GanjaFarmer24

Glad the fire scare is all behind you, that's tough. Can't wait to see how these flowers turn out for ya. 😁

CannaDana

CannaDana

Gorilla Glue #4 is interesting to grow. One thing I discovered to my surprise is that it doesn't tolerate a lot of light, at least in veg. And it has a unique appearance. The shade of green is lighter than I'm used to. The default number of blades in the leaves is 5, though it does reluctantly get up to 7.

The best thing about it so far is that it has the most incredible and intense aroma! Very earthy, pungent, and intense, with notes of pine, basil, coffee, dirt, and fuel undertones. I love it, and can't wait to smell the buds.

Last edited:
CannaDana

CannaDana

I discovered that I have fungus gnats on one plant. So far it’s only one plant, and only a few gnats. I put sticky traps out on each plant, and so far this is the only trap to catch gnats. I’ve had it out for three days, and it has only caught nine gnats, so I don’t think the infestation is bad, and I think I caught it early.

My plan is to leave the traps here for a couple more days and monitor, before taking any other measures. As you can see in the video, these are mature plants, so I don’t think I have to be too worried about this. It’s just that they are annoying .

Anyone with experience think I’m going about this the wrong way?
FAE43888 D5ED 43C0 8488 178BFB4550B0

steamroller

steamroller

I do the same as you with using sticky traps .
They always get something but not enough to really worry about IMO.
I have been wondering about using orange peel extract for this reason though .
Your plants look great ~!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
it’s the eggs and larvee that you have to deal with, the fly not so much..

CannaDana

CannaDana

it’s the eggs and larvee that you have to deal with, the fly not so much..
For sure. If I suddenly start getting a whole bunch of gnats on there, I'll know I have to do something about larvae.

I've never done any of it, but I've heard people have luck with a few things:

1. Mixture of 3% hydrogen peroxide with water
  2. Diatomaceous earth
  3. Sand
  4. Some sort of bacillus bacteria
Do you have an opinion on any of these, or something else?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
For sure. If I suddenly start getting a whole bunch of gnats on there, I'll know I have to do something about larvae.

I've never done any of it, but I've heard people have luck with a few things:

1. Mixture of 3% hydrogen peroxide with water
  2. Diatomaceous earth
  3. Sand
  4. Some sort of bacillus bacteria
Do you have an opinion on any of these, or something else?
well i would start doing something to the medium because if there is flys than there is eggs.,
i’ve only had them with small plants so i dried them out over a couple weeks without using anything other than swatting at them.. they love moisture and a moist soil..
hang out someone will know what to do with what you got.
peroxide will kill flyers but not eggs and you shouldn’t put peroxide in the medium..

Latest posts

Top Bottom