Great White

• Thread starter caregiverken
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I picked up some of this stuff at the Grow shop yesterday...

GW404.jpg

Anyone ever try it?

Is it any good?

I also got some Mykos Pure, Fresh, Alive for when Im transplanting

I guess I will find out soon if the stuff works

E

E.T.

i love that stuff....a little pricey, but does wonders. use it every time you transplant. can also use it as a soil drench every couple weeks. i stop using it about 3-4wks into bloom.

deep buddy

deep buddy

yeah its good just to expensive imo. try xtreme gardening mykos they have a wettable powder thats bought the same price for a few pounds. it doesnt have the bacteria in it. but you can get that from compost or teas.

Billygoat

Billygoat

i just found out that botanicares cal mag kills great white.

I'd like to know your source on that and what they said about it! I find it hard to believe Cal Mag mixed in with a batch of Nutz would kill them off, but I could be wrong. I'd like to know more.

As for Great White, it's a good product. I use a different product. I live in an area of allot of commercial growers and the local shop found a product equal or better and cheaper. They list all the info here.

Rhizoboot

I'm also trying ZHO now. Reason I'm trying ZHO. Is it also contains Trichoderma. Which is naturally in soil and good for roots.

Again, as for Great White. If I needed to buy any of these powders. With no doubts, I would buy Great White. Not trying to hawk any other products. I've tried them all and just giving my 2 cents on them.
Take care,
BG

S

Sea Of Green

I'd been using Down To Earth's soluble root growth enhancer for many years until just recently. Which is simply a soluble blend of 11 endo/ecto mycorrhizae and 2 trichoderma species in a powderized/flaked humic shale base.

I was pretty happy with it, but I decided to try something different. I considered the Great White among others. Then went with the other local guy's version. And I must say that this stuff is EASILY twice as effective as that DTE shit I thought worked pretty good. DEFINITELY not going back to that crap. It's even more expensive than the kind I'm using now too, but still worth the $ IMO. Any mycorrhizae/trichoderma is better than none.

What is this better product I speak of? You guessed it...OregonismXL!

And yes, I use botanicare's Calplex and add magnesium via epsom salt. And no, neither used correctly causes incompatibility with any mycorrhizal/BB products. That's nonsense.

T

thumpnasty

the last thing on the back of the botanicares cal mag bottle EDTA. it is a acid. i think it's used to break down limestone.

T

thumpnasty

i dont know if it's nonsense but to me putting some acid on my micro life seems like it would not be to beneficial.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
lol - how about humic, fulvic or amino acid?

T

thumpnasty

i meant a acid that breaks down limestone. but after reading mrbong73 info i think i get it now , sorry for wrong info.

Blaze

Blaze

Hey Ken - Great White works well, I have used it in the past, but it is pricey. If you are growing in soil like you are, adding beneficial organisms is always a good idea and will help your plants tremendously. The Great White is nice in that it contains mycos, other fungi, and bacteria, but it also contains many species that do absolutely nothing for cannabis.

If you are really interested in this topic you should start learning about aerated compost tea (ACT) and how to make it yourself. It is far more effective than Great White, or any of the other bottled beneficial inoculant. It also costs a fraction as much, so it is far more cost effective as well.

When ever you use something alive, like the Great White, or ACT, never mix it with fertilizers, even cal-mag, or anything with EDTA. It will kill your beneficial organisms and totally negate the positive effect of what you are doing. High ppms of any element is toxic so keep your living inoculants and your fertilizers separate.

S

Sea Of Green

What do you mean by mix? You can't feed your plants and use beneficial organisms at the same time? Evidence supporting this? Still not seeing it...

Or do you mean just don't add straight/undiluted fertilizers to them before applying, or vice versa? And where's the eveidence for that? Microbes can survive rediculously toxic environments. Chemically, radiologically, extreme temperatures, shit even the near total vacuum of outer space for crying out loud. They're COMPLETELY dehydrated and inactive(essentially dead) by the time packaged and shipped for use. They'll stay that way indefinitely, in fact, and still come back to life given proper conditions. They're pretty god damn hard to kill actually. That's why it takes man-made things like fungicides, anti-bacterials/microbials, VERY high temperatures, or severe bombardment by high energy radiation to kill many of them.

The thread is starting to smell like fish(pardon the pun)...which is generally the time I like to pack up and move on...

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
if that is the case then anybody who is using great white in the res is literally throwing money down the drain - I always do my bennies separate - but i wonder how much damage I do to them when I subsequently feed the plants next time around

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Thanks everyone.

I did the GW separate but I had just feed them a couple says before.
and will wait a couple to feed again.

Blaze

Blaze

What do you mean by mix? You can't feed your plants and use beneficial organisms at the same time? Evidence supporting this? Still not seeing it...

Or do you mean just don't add straight/undiluted fertilizers to them before applying, or vice versa? And where's the eveidence for that? Microbes can survive rediculously toxic environments. Chemically, radiologically, extreme temperatures, shit even the near total vacuum of outer space for crying out loud. They're COMPLETELY dehydrated and inactive(essentially dead) by the time packaged and shipped for use. They'll stay that way indefinitely, in fact, and still come back to life given proper conditions. They're pretty god damn hard to kill actually. That's why it takes man-made things like fungicides, anti-bacterials/microbials, VERY high temperatures, or severe bombardment by high energy radiation to kill many of them.

The thread is starting to smell like fish(pardon the pun)...which is generally the time I like to pack up and move on...

Though it is true that bacteria and life in general can live in the most extreme environments, that is not what we are talking about here. You are comparing apples to oranges, or in this case soil biota to extremophiles.

The negative effects of ionic salts (ie nutrients) has been well established and documented for many years by a great number of scientists and studies. These effects have been studied for literally 30+ years and there are at this point probably several hundred studies confirm what me and others have stated on this thread. I'm not going to waste my time trying to re-find all the studies for someone that has obviously done zero research on this topic but here is a start:

"Plant Development and Harvest Yields of Greenhouse Tomatoes in Six Organic Growing Systems", North Carolina State University:

"Dynamics of soil microbial biomass and activity in conventional and organic farming systems", Soil Biology and Biochemistry Volume 30, Issue 6, June 1998, Pages 805-816:

"Conventional Fertilizers":

"Responses of soil microbial biomass and N availability to transition strategies from conventional to organic farming systems", Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment Volume 113, Issues 1-4, April 2006, Pages 206-215

"pH regulation of carbon and nitrogen dynamics in two agricultural soils"
Soil Biology and Biochemistry Volume 38, Issue 5, May 2006, Pages 898-911

Plus a few other resources to check out:

Oh, not to mention there are all the other farmers and growers out there with microscopes that have observed the effects of fertilizers on ACT and have first hand experience with this subject confirming the negative effects of mixing fertilizers and ACT...

So, no you cannot mix fertilizers and beneficial organisms at the same time, at least not if you want your beneficial organisms or ACT to have any effect. However if you want to continue to pour money down the drain and completely negate the positive effects of your beneficial organisms be my guest......

half baked

half baked

people get far too wound up on this site, yas need to help not throw info in each others faces

get a grip

hb

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

I rather enjoy a heated discussion. As long as it is with intelligence, and not just mud slinging. I have enjoyed both sides so far. I would like to see some of the microscope shots if that is at all possible. Bring on the science! Thanks guys. Havin fun so far.

-TF

Top Bottom