Green budder? Why?

• Thread starter Steve Gray
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Steve Gray

Steve Gray

Im still a rookie in this errl game and ive ran about 5 extractions now. My oil has turned into budder 3 times and 2/3 times it was green. The most info ive gathered is that it can be one of two things. 1 is purging it too hot. And 2 is that too much plant matter passed through. But why? I honestly have no idea. Please help me out

Reactions: mal
true grit

true grit

What kinda of trim are using? fan leaf? i really don't believe the budder/heat thing as I don't use heat over 105 and still get budder depending on what strain it is and quality of trim.

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

why size screen are you using? coffee filters? what type of butane?

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
The green comes from plant material in the end product, I think the above post is on the money. You need to add a coffee filter above your metal screen IMO. Take care and I hope all is well Too much heat will make light oil turn dark/er- it would make green into dark green and green isn't a color of the oil i've seen

mal

Graywolf

Graywolf

Im still a rookie in this errl game and ive ran about 5 extractions now. My oil has turned into budder 3 times and 2/3 times it was green. The most info ive gathered is that it can be one of two things. 1 is purging it too hot. And 2 is that too much plant matter passed through. But why? I honestly have no idea. Please help me out

The green is chlorophyll. Please tell more about your process.

bigcheese510

bigcheese510

i believe youre using too much tane and grinding your material too fine. if you want a better consistancy try using some nugs. the best quality bho = SHATTER . . it will be golden/amber and look like stained glass almost. if youre whipping it in a hot water bath you will get butter everytime. there are a lot of great extract artists out there with a lot of knowledge. id suggest finding a person with a proven process that posts a how to and read thru. good luck bro.

Steve Gray

Steve Gray

What kinda of trim are using? fan leaf? i really don't believe the budder/heat thing as I don't use heat over 105 and still get budder depending on what strain it is and quality of trim.
im talkin about the heat turning it green because the oil wasnt green at first

Steve Gray

Steve Gray

i believe youre using too much tane and grinding your material too fine. if you want a better consistancy try using some nugs. the best quality bho = SHATTER . . it will be golden/amber and look like stained glass almost. if youre whipping it in a hot water bath you will get butter everytime. there are a lot of great extract artists out there with a lot of knowledge. id suggest finding a person with a proven process that posts a how to and read thru. good luck bro.
yea i think it might be a combo of everything. and how the hell do u get it to turn into shatter?

true grit

true grit

thats what im saying too, i get green oil sometimes and don't even use high heat. For example, I'll run it, it looks amber to dark colored, purge it and let sit and boom- gets all dark greenish. Usually just the trim. try a few different methods or variables with the same trim and that will narrow down if you are having an issue processing.

Steve Gray

Steve Gray

thats what im saying too, i get green oil sometimes and don't even use high heat. For example, I'll run it, it looks amber to dark colored, purge it and let sit and boom- gets all dark greenish. Usually just the trim. try a few different methods or variables with the same trim and that will narrow down if you are having an issue processing.
i dont use trim i use nice fresh fire bud thats ground up. ive heard thats its cuz its ground up and some professionals and lab techs are tellin me to use actuall nugs like .2 or .3 nugs

bigcheese510

bigcheese510

Youre right on steve. When its to ground up fine particle get thru the screen/filter plus the tane is stripping chloryphyl giving it green color. You only want trichomes.

true grit

true grit

I beg the differ, I've used food processors to chop it fine and still get clear/gold oil, then sometimes same process different shit gets green. I tried breakin it up by hand and doing smaller bud chunks (which doesn't get full saturation) and still get same thing vs choppin depending on inputs. Let me re-state, your inputs (trim, bud, yada yada) are generally what determine color. Don't know why folks won't get with this concept. lol. Its just like bubble hash yO, you're just using a different solvent (butane vs. water)... after making a very large spectrum of bubble hash back in the day and bho now- its all inputs.

squiggly

squiggly

I beg the differ, I've used food processors to chop it fine and still get clear/gold oil, then sometimes same process different shit gets green. I tried breakin it up by hand and doing smaller bud chunks (which doesn't get full saturation) and still get same thing vs choppin depending on inputs. Let me re-state, your inputs (trim, bud, yada yada) are generally what determine color. Don't know why folks won't get with this concept. lol. Its just like bubble hash yO, you're just using a different solvent (butane vs. water)... after making a very large spectrum of bubble hash back in the day and bho now- its all inputs.

In bubble hash, water is not acting as a solvent. Completely different process.

Contrary to what you're suggesting--this process of creating BHO by blasting through a tube is akin to a engineering processes known as column chromatography.

As was stated in another of 3 threads about this same issue--grinding very finely exposes more chlorophyll to the solvent. This will tend to produce greener oils. It does not necessarily mean that your oil will be green every time doing it this way--but in terms of chlorophyll contamination it is a near guarantee that you will end up with more doing it this way than if you hadn't.

Because the solvent extracts THC/terpenes mostly from trichomes (where it is readily accessible to a solvent) how much yield you get and what the purity is like will depend mostly on residence time and solvent temperature--NOT on whether or not the material is ground very finely. When you pack a column very tightly with a fine material vs loosely with course material you are significantly increasing residence time of solvent in the column. In chromatography speak--you are vastly increasing the number of theoretical plates by doing this.

A little personal research into that terminology should make clear the reason why this is a bad thing in terms of trying to exclude chlorophyll.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

I have made all different extracts. BHO's problem is it's very difficult for the begginner oil maker to purge. 99.99% isopropyl is the best solvent i have found readily available, and easiest to purge. Have a look at my avatar....99.99% isopropyl and it's shatter!!!! It's all in the contact time. Don't crush your buds too finely, especially for BHO. I like chunky versus powder.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Green comes from chlorophyll, which is held in place in the plant by chlorophyll water soluble binding proteins (WSCP). These proteins are soluble in water, mildly soluble in alcohol, and insoluble in non polar solvents.

Butane is non polar, but will still absorb up to 32 ml/liter water, which can break down these proteins and expose the chlorophyll to be transported away in the form of micelle.

Ostensibly, the ability of a non polar solvent to transport these micelle, is proportional to the amount of water that it has picked up, as the water is doing the transporting.

I sometimes pick up a light electric green hue extracting with butane, but never a dark green. The amount of green appears to be influenced by the water content of the starting material, temperature, and soak time, as well as how many leaf margins are broken, so as to expose the chlorophyll binding proteins to water. Finely ground material exposes more margins, and extracts more chlorophyll.

PS: Filtration can influence green pick up too, from suspended particles.

Steve Gray

Steve Gray

yea thanks a lot that pretty much sums it up. that and the overuse of butane.

Steve Gray

Steve Gray

also since the bud was pretty dense and still moist, very slightly, it helps to throw it in the freezer

Latest posts

Top Bottom