Green Caterpillars eating my buds

• Thread starter the new guy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

the new guy

I had some really nice looking buds a couple weeks ago. I came home to find all my tops of my buds were Dying off. I quickly started to spray my plants with mighty wash. As I was spraying them I noticed little green caterpillars eating the base of my buds. The caterpillars are about a quarter-inch to half inch in size. I immediately plucked all the caterpillars off that I could find. I have sprayed them with mighty wash and also with hand soap. These caterpillars have ate half my plants, and there are only about 2 feet big in the flowering stage. (outdoor plants)

Does anybody know what type of caterpillars they are or what I could used to kill these little green caterpillars that is non-toxic/organic? hopefully I can still salvage something off my plans...

please help
The new guy

Green caterpillars eating my buds
Green caterpillars eating my buds 2
Green caterpillars eating my buds 3
Green caterpillars eating my buds 4
MakinGoo

MakinGoo

I have no idea what kind of caterpillars they r.. I've always woundered The same thing.. I hate those basterds.. Like Motherlode said use BT 2 kill them.. If I had 2 guess I would guess there from moths but who knows..

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
yeah no idea about what kind - get some BT and they will be the dead muthafuckin kind - lol

good luck man

M

mrbong73

Monterey Spinosaid works good on those cats too. If you don't want to spray you really gotta dig in there and get them out or they'll keep on getting fatter.

K

kolah

I had those little buggers on my tomato plants last year. I got rid of them with a garlic/soap mixture.
For MMJ, I think that would make for some funky tasting buds.

C

CowBoy420

I'm having the same problem. i have the BT worm killer already but i don't think its working my buds are still dieing off. could someone tell me how often i should spray them and if theirs anything else i can do please help me only have 3 weeks left till harvest.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You *must* begin spraying once buds begin to 'set' (that's what I call it, what I mean is when those hairy pistils begin to really look like buds), and then continue spraying every two weeks (unless you're using a product that requires more frequent applications, then do so) until about two weeks prior to planned harvest. You. Simply. Must.

Last year I found many, many buds, many of my BEST buds, crumbling in my hands with little gray turds falling out. I wasn't able to spray much at all last year, but the buds grew around the worms and poop for quite a while and didn't show the browning and other indicators of a problem. But you can't do much with the crumbled bits and when you see that mixed with bug poo, you'll do what I did and toss that shit in the fireplace.

E

Elite Nugs

Yes, but stop spraying two weeks prior to planned harvest.

What do you do if you have to spray just about every other day??? If I go 3+ days without spraying, they attack viciously. It rained where I am yesterday. Today I went out to spray my plants and noticed that 2 main colas were gone. Caterpillars ate right through the main stem.

I have the Safer BT spray and it seems like a losing battle. I hand pick about 10 babies off each day and spray just about every other day. If I see a dead bud, I'll tear it apart till I find the sucker that did the damage. Once per week, I'll really soak the plants in the spray. I even double the concentrate of the spray mix.

Im getting so angry with these things that I torture them when I find em and kill them as slowly as possible.

E

Elite Nugs

This is my first outdoor grow that Ive seen soo many caterpillars. Little moths are flying around like crazy. I just want to set everything on fire to make sure I kill the little assholes. There's gotta be something to spray on the plants the maybe moths dont like the smell of and wont land on your plants. Or something more deadly then this BT stuff. I didnt lose not one bud last year. So far this year, I've probably lost about 20% of my crop to the things.

Anyone got any other ideas besides BT??

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I lost about 50% of my crop last year due to caterpillars and rot. We noticed the rot, and found out it was because the caterpillars were munching and there poop leaves a perfect environment for budrot.

I did a few things to manage to save what I could. Here's some tips:

When you foliar, use Dutch Masters Saturator. I alternated with caterpillar killer (BT) and Serenade.

Include the caterpillar killer in with your nutrients. It will get into the plants systemically and kill those fuckers when the munch on your plants.

Good luck to you and your battle against those fuckers....

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Baba, I'd order some up, but they're all unavailable. :)
What do you do if you have to spray just about every other day??? If I go 3+ days without spraying, they attack viciously. It rained where I am yesterday. Today I went out to spray my plants and noticed that 2 main colas were gone. Caterpillars ate right through the main stem.

I have the Safer BT spray and it seems like a losing battle. I hand pick about 10 babies off each day and spray just about every other day. If I see a dead bud, I'll tear it apart till I find the sucker that did the damage. Once per week, I'll really soak the plants in the spray. I even double the concentrate of the spray mix.

Im getting so angry with these things that I torture them when I find em and kill them as slowly as possible.
I think we're all going to have to find other weapons to add to our arsenals. If i's not working then it's not working, period. I'm off to find another weapon.

A good Neem oil, like Einstein, might be a solution, but I'm not positive as I haven't used it.

http://www.extremelygreen.com/pestcontrolguide.cfm

alstotter

alstotter

Caterpillars are like HIV once you have it you can't get rid of it but you can lessen the damage with products.

After my first bout with them I have since used white screen like netting to cover the plants outdoors with success . Problem is the girls get huge outdoors and the screen can only protect the top canopy lol

The pesticides are nice especially BT but it's best to hit it with BT in veg anticipating them. Once you have em , your whole view on the plant changes. What I mean by that is mentally I wasn't able to bring myself to smoking the dry poop buds hehe

E

Elite Nugs

AH!! I did some research on the littler fuckers. Naphthalene!!! Its a chemical that moths cannot stand. I guess there's a little bit of this chemical in "moth balls". You put moth balls in your closets to keep moths away from your clothes, so they dont lay their larva on them and get holes eaten through your clothes.

Now you cant just spray this stuff on your plants, but Im thinking you can surround your plants with this stuff. Maybe run some strings and hang cloth thats been soaked in this stuff around your plants. Not sure if it'll work, but I'll be looking more into it, becase the BT stuff just isnt cutting it. I've been spraying it on the plants before then started flowering, and have been weekly and daily since then.

E

Elite Nugs

What I mean by that is mentally I wasn't able to bring myself to smoking the dry poop buds hehe

You never know... it might increase the high and flavor. LoL. I just smoked an outdoor buds that could have possibly had a turd or two on it. Lol. I didnt see any, but you never know.:banana:

Top Bottom