Greenhouses and heaters/ light dep

• Thread starter Baylife
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ftwendy

ftwendy

It's not the tarp you are pulling that you should be worried about ripping/tearing, I totally follow your train of thought. It's the actual greenhouse clear plastic that you need to be worried about.

If there were a frame to hold a pulley higher than the top of the gh, then you could winch the plastic up without the cable rubbing against the plastic. Imagine if in the video of the golden arm a few pages back there was a 12' post with a pulley at the top and the cable attached to the window shade reinforcement at the leading edge. It works in my head lol...

what is your solution mcp?

M

mcpuffin

In the end you want you blackout tarp to be snug against the frame of the greenhouse to avoid any wind catching the plastic and turning it into a giant sail. The only way I see what you are describing would leave a lot of slack in the tarp, but I'm a visual learner, so I could be seeing your idea totally wrong.

*I use plastic and tarp interchangeably, means the same thing.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
takes me less than 5 mins to cover these :)
Nothing fancy..just thick and stiff 10 mil plastic.. :p
But its small stuff..We are Talking big grows here in this thread :)

Cookiebedcovered
Motherbedscovered
ftwendy

ftwendy

In the end you want you blackout tarp to be snug against the frame of the greenhouse to avoid any wind catching the plastic and turning it into a giant sail. The only way I see what you are describing would leave a lot of slack in the tarp, but I'm a visual learner, so I could be seeing your idea totally wrong.

*I use plastic and tarp interchangeably, means the same thing.

Once the tarp is at the highest point, you could lower it by reversing the winch. As long as the anchor point that the winch is pulling on the tarp/plastic falls on the opposite side of the gh it started on, then gravity will do the rest. Follow me? Once the cover is on the ground you can pull out some of the slack and anchor the blackout material on the ground with some bags of sand to keep it from blowing in the wind.

The only light dep I've done was small and hidden in a log pile full of twigs that snagged the dep cover. I sandwiched the 6mil black plastic between ripstop tarps for durability. Worked great, but the cover was not large enough to need the winch. Just smoking and throwing out ideas here.......

M

mcpuffin

takes me less than 5 mins to cover these :)
Nothing fancy..just thick and stiff 10 mil plastic.. :p
But its small stuff..We are Talking big grows here in this thread :)
Love it! Looks like like it should, the 'black box.'

Seeing that least one of those being in a framed greenie, a pulley system, such as ftwendy is describing, anchored to one of your rafters would work great.

grayarea

grayarea

It only takes one person to pull tarp, with or with out a Golden Arm especially on a hoop that small.

Lol 100ft long dep is big where i live. What do you consider to be a larger sized hoop?

M

mcpuffin

Once the tarp is at the highest point, you could lower it by reversing the winch. As long as the anchor point that the winch is pulling on the tarp/plastic falls on the opposite side of the gh it started on, then gravity will do the rest. Follow me? Once the cover is on the ground you can pull out some of the slack and anchor the blackout material on the ground with some bags of sand to keep it from blowing in the wind.

The only light dep I've done was small and hidden in a log pile full of twigs that snagged the dep cover. I sandwiched the 6mil black plastic between ripstop tarps for durability. Worked great, but the cover was not large enough to need the winch. Just smoking and throwing out ideas here.......
Still seems like there's some slack in what you're describing. Slack = no good. I've watched the wind carry the smallest bit of slack lift off the greenie causing light leaks, even when weighting the sides/ends. I want my shit snug against the greenie.

Shamus

Shamus

theres greenhouses that come with automated light dep that run on timers, not as bad on price as youd think.

M

mcpuffin

theres greenhouses that come with automated light dep that run on timers, not as bad on price as youd think.
12' x 20' = min $20K. Rather spend dough on a worker to pull tarps. Workers are there all the time to pull tarps (unless drunk/on drugs), whereas one electrical fuck up/malfuntion leads to no tarp pull. Seen/heard it all around here.

ftwendy

ftwendy

There has to be a way to re purpose an automatic pool cover. Those things are tight, and tough

grayarea

grayarea

I count them as drugs , easy to lose a good worker to the wrong strain at the wrong time .

K

kolah

the armature swingy-thingy is kinda cool...but only if used used with a heavy and tough covering material. And if the wind kicks up it will blow the covering up and around and say goodnight to your light dep.

For a GH as big as the OP is asking about, ya gotta pay out the big bucks for the proper set-ups. I am sure it will pay for itself in no time.

I think it would easier to have a few smaller GH's and much easier to cover them and anchor them down. Light dep (done by hand) looks like a real responsibility (pain in da ass?)....mostly because you have to do it twice a day and not miss a day...and be super critical to so it and the right time. I think it would be best to have a few helpers to make sure it always gets done. OTOH, going "big" has everything on automated timers and makes life easier all the way around....if ya got the dough, invest in it.

I'd love to try light depping here but I'm just too lazy I guess.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Better have back up power ready though..
Wouldn't want to mess up a huge GH full of plants just because the power is down for the 5 min you need it.

M

mcpuffin

the armature swingy-thingy is kinda cool...but only if used used with a heavy and tough covering material. And if the wind kicks up it will blow the covering up and around and say goodnight to your light dep.

For a GH as big as the OP is asking about, ya gotta pay out the big bucks for the proper set-ups. I am sure it will pay for itself in no time.

I think it would easier to have a few smaller GH's and much easier to cover them and anchor them down. Light dep (done by hand) looks like a real responsibility (pain in da ass?)....mostly because you have to do it twice a day and not miss a day...and be super critical to so it and the right time. I think it would be best to have a few helpers to make sure it always gets done. OTOH, going "big" has everything on automated timers and makes life easier all the way around....if ya got the dough, invest in it.

I'd love to try light depping here but I'm just too lazy I guess.
NorCal has perfected the art of light dep & its not that hard. I'd guess the majority of people doing such don't have automation. It's just one more thing to fuck up as mentioned. Some of the biggest setup I've seen don't have automation. You don't need it to go big, just be on your shit.

grayarea

grayarea

NorCal has perfected the art of light dep & its not that hard.

pics ?

most light deps i see in norcal get chopped early and usually have problems with mites or pm .

Latest posts

Top Bottom