Grim's Sweet Tooth+Organics+CFL Grow...come on in...

• Thread starter GrimloxK
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GrimloxK

Thanxs killer, much love man.

A little update which is bound to make other heads curious...

So I watered today, but it wasn't with that bubbled nute mix I said I would...reason I didn't was because I let it aerate for 48 hours and the starting ph was 4.5....it's shot up to 8.0 after 48 hrs and I added a shit load of lime juice and I felt that it was gonna throw something out of whack so instead I made a fresh batch of nute mix:

Distilled water w/
5ml grow
5ml bloom
5ml hpk
5ml hp2
5ml GO CaMg
5ml trinity catalyst
5ml Hygrozyme

my ph after that was 4.6 so I used some Earth Juice ph up to get it to 6.1-6.2 which I hope will rise so that the plant uptakes calcium and mag.

I plan to take HPK out every other watering.

And like I said I'm not using pro-tekt in my nute solutions anymore...probably only for foliar feeding.

NOW ON TO THE MEAT OF THE POTATOES!!!!!!!

After watering today I found something super-peculiar ...MICRO-SIZED WHITE JUMPING INSECTS...they were all over my topsoil and I like many other noob growers started panicking...

What I found via research (google lol) is that their called springtails which arise from damp soil and they eat dead organic matter and poop it out and are a sign of healthy soil....IDK about all that but i'm gonna monitor the shit out of them.

way too small to take a pic of but i'm hoping they do more good than harm.

I still find it weird that they like damp soil cuz I let my plant dry out atleast 5 days before the next watering...probably has to do with my RH and my soil not being able to dry out fast enough.

No pics until next watering so that we can notice a change in the buds...so far I noticed hairs browning which is a good sign...still got some yellow leafs just falling off...but buds are looking a little bit more swollen.

Hope I have good news to say in the coming days...

Bless...

CrippledArcher

CrippledArcher

Ha, I did the same,but mine came out of the drain holes before I moved to smart pots. Things scared the shit out of me. I mean I had to stop look away and make sure I was seeing them they were so small,Thought maybe I had medicated to much before I watered :) I had given them a fat watering and they were in the catch pans.

Oh how many fans do have in there moving air ?

G

GrimloxK

dankkush - thanks man...please stop by.

CA - I literally looked at my topsoil after watering and these things were all over the soil, jumping like crazy because they were in defense mechanism mode...now they're all dug down into the soil...if I move the top inch of soil around I see them scurry deeper...if they're breaking down the organic matter I'll let them do their biz.

I have a 4 inch inline fan near the top of my grow cab, and 1 7" fan on the bottom blowing air up...I cut a 4 inch intake hole in the front of my cab. So far it seems to work decent/good.

My setup isn't as well setup as many growers...I just kept it ghetto...I mean simple.

She's frosting up very nicely...and let me say this...she smells intoxicating. She's not giving off much scent from afar...which is good but when you but your nose to the buds it's an indescribable sweet smell with a slight spice kick to it at the end. Sort of mellon-like, maybe cantaloupe or honeydew...very easy and pleasing on the nose.

Large fan leaves are still dropping but just like a kid getting their 2nd set of teeth in, the sweet tooth is starting to produce very healthy green bud leaves.

Even though this hobby of ours is quite dangerous, it's a great one...Right now i'm going into 5 weeks and this strain i'll probably let go until 11-12 weeks so i'm looking forward to each day and how much she swells.

IMG 7105
IMG 7112
IMG 7120
IMG 7129
IMG 7136
IMG 7146
KILLERCHEF420

KILLERCHEF420

:evilgrin0031: Hey nice update bro its looking good ove your way haha take care man great work on your grow

PEACE
KILLERCHEF

justiceman

justiceman

Looking great man! Ya that plant is certainly packing on some serious weight. Sometimes soil has a habit of staying too wet for too long indoors. You might want to try cutting a bit of perlite/rice hulls/pumice/ into your mix so it drys out a bit faster. If you want to discourage pests at the soil line without cutting more air into your mix then your gonna have to either apply a light dusting of diatomaceous earth and or a top dressing of neem seed meal.

Either way keep doing what your doing. That plant might need a bit of N but other then that she looks awesome!

See you waited long enough and the PH in the brew spiked up hard. It's a sign of a microbial bloom in the tea. You should be able to water with 8.0ph in soil. Hell I use filtered tap with a PH around that for my my skywalker mom and she looks great. You could also try catching it at the right PH if your hesitant with what I said above. Maybe try testing it at the 36hour mark.

G

GrimloxK

Yea I guess somewhere towards the middle of the container near the root mass it takes a while to dry out I guess. I'm feeding her every 5 days...where the container feels 10-20% as heavy as it would right after watering. I get about 10-20% run-off which lets me know this.

Atleast I know their springtails...as long as their beneficial and aren't causing a spread of disease, mold or whatever they can chill in their and let the plant use their poop. I figure their poop is their rent so they better have my money by the 15th.

Yea man...I waited too long for that ph increase after aerating it...it went from 5.0 to 8.0 in 24 hours so i'm trying to fine tune the amount of time...i'm gonna do 30 hours for the next feeding tomorrow...already got it bubbling.

N has been a problem for me on my previous grow...something i'm still trying to get right...i'm probably gonna get that amino aide next go around to keep things green for longer.

G

GrimloxK

Watered today:

7.5 ml grow
7.5 ml bloom
5 ml hp2
5 ml CaMg+
5 ml trinity
5 ml hygrozyme

noticed some of my springtails were in my run-off while others were still in the soil. 7 yellow leafs just fell off when I watered. She's frosting up very nicely...bottom buds are still small but hopefully by harvest they swell a bit...still got quite a ways left too.

IMG 7170
IMG 7172
IMG 7187
IMG 7193
justiceman

justiceman

The soil food web works in mysterious ways. It's cool to know you embrace their poopoo and use it for it's benefits instead of shunning their existence.

You sir are packing on the weight no doubt about it. Looking good:sun

G

GrimloxK

Very true justice.

I'll post up some newer shots next feeding so that we can see if their was any noticeable growth since the last pics.

Right now i'm just waiting for her to shed her old set of leaves so that some light can penetrate below the canopy some more. Smell is still very sweet and pleasant.

I had a discovery last night that made me lose a little sleep. Found some fungus gnats coming out of my soil...right after watering. I think I may be watering too soon...but it's weird...I let my container dry out for 5 days and it feels light when I do a weight check....I'll probably let her go 6-7 days this next week and see if that helps kill off any larvae that might be present. I feel that next time i'm gonna invest in some chunky perlite or this volcanic porous type stuff whose name escapes me right now.

I still have some weeks left...atleast a month or so. Hopefully she goes into overdrive. Right now she's looking to be a medium producer compared to the Barney's Farm Red Dragon which I found to be a more heavier producer...however the Sweet Tooth is way more resinous...so i'm guessing quality will be better.

i'm entertaining ideas of getting some TGA seeds going next year...and try and fit 3x 1 gallon containers so that I can grow out 3 strains and hopefully 2 will be females and let them grow out so that I can have 2 strains to have...i'm not really sure flowering in 1 gallon smart pots will yield anything substantial but then again i'm not a humongous toker...just something to help me with my insomnia and general well-being.

CrippledArcher

CrippledArcher

I have the same issue with the pots that aren't Smart pots.Plastic seems to hold that moisture in much more. Next grow will be all smarts,bet that ! Oh I didn't think HP2 was supposed to be used until the last two weeks,before flush. Going to grab another camera before I put up more pics. But it seems they are getting a second wind out of no where everyplace a flower could come up there popping all over so maybe this is there last push.

sweettoothg

sweettoothg

Grim,
Your CFL grow looks amazing! I'm really glad your buds are plumping up as much as they are. You are in for a treat with that shit.
Happy toking!

justiceman

justiceman

Yo grim I'm thinking your right on the money. Throw some more perlite in your mix so the wet/dry cycles are higher in frequency. I'd think the accelerated drying would devastate fungus gnat populations. Also I found that mixing some neem seed meal and or diatomaceous earth also solves gnat problems if one doesn't want to aerate the mix more

I dunno man she looks to be pretty high on the yield to me haha especially considering non of the hairs have turned yet.

G

GrimloxK

Yea...I think next go i'm gonna cut the roots soil with Light Warrior which is way more airy and has some good stuff in it.

the fungus gnats aren't really overly bothering me right now...especially this late in flower.

Everyday I gently shake my pot up to see if any emerge from the soil and their populations have def. decreased. as soon as I see one of those fuckers I clap the shit out of them. also letting my pot dry out has helped a bit.

Jus she's acting like a sativa right now, exploding with buds on the top of colas...wish I could make the bottom buds swell some more but my grow cab is already tight on space and i'm not gonna discard them..should give me some interesting one-hitter tokes since their maturing slower than their big sisters on top.

G

GrimloxK

it's almost 8 weeks since 12/12

gonna water tonight with:
7.5 ml blool
5 ml grow
5 ml HPK
5 ml Hp2
5 ml trinity
2.5 ml GO CaMg+
5 ml hygrozyme

I'm not gonna post pics until harvest time which should be in 2 1/2 weeks...gonna let this girl go a full 10 weeks...and I really want to show the comparison from the last set of pics I took to the pre-harvest pics.

She looks about ready...I would say she's at about 5% or less amber right now...I think the extra 2 weeks will hopefully get her to 20%.

I was thinking of when to flush her so I think 2 more feedings including today then just distilled water with 5 ml trinity from then on.

I would say that she's at about 70% orange hairs right now...I got white hairs on the top of my colas right now so I figure their gonna keep plumping up for another week and then it should be all good.

I also plan on taking pre-harvest pics and then doing 36 hrs dark to see if theirs a noticeable increase in size/resin and you guys can be the judge.

But right now she is exceeding my expectations.

Bless.

G

GrimloxK

Do you have a scope ? I got one from Radio Shack ,works perfect for $12
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2179604 I'm just at 60 days and the trichomes are all completely clear and standing straight up So more time for us !

Yea I got one...but I can tell mine are only cloudy right now just by looking at them...there's no yellow tinge to them at all and when I take a digital macro shot with my cam it shows up as milky.

I mean I could harvest now but it'll probably be mostly sativa high i'm getting...I would like a nice mix...especially for an indica dom. strain.

I just checked her last night and she's throwing up more white hairs and bulging out. Its a good thing but it's hard to know when to start flushing. I'm giving her 70 days and thats it. She'll hopfully keep on maturing after chop if need be.

CrippledArcher

CrippledArcher

Just last week or two feed with molasses and water, That's what we are going with from a good source here :) Day 70 will mark that,WE don't like the super racy buzz anyway so going for like 50% amber to yank.

And maybe like us you top the top half let the rest catch up !

F

FromGROtoFLO

Damn, that buds look super nice. I've never seen a fluorescent grow before was always under the assumption it wasn't adequate lighting. Well done!

KILLERCHEF420

KILLERCHEF420

:evilgrin0031:Damn Grim looking good that girl is frosty as hell and swelling up good job bro sorry i havent stopped in more ive been really busy but thanks for hitting me up and getting me of my ass to say hello take care brother and stay high

PEACE
KILLERCHEF

Top Bottom