Grove Bags Yes? No? Why?

• Thread starter CannaGranny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shaded_One

Shaded_One

I have only ever experienced my taste and flavor improving after being in a Grove Bag, and it only gets better the longer I seem to wait. In fact I took a small amount of trimmed Romulan and put it into an Oz Grove Bag so that I could crack it open and at least have something to smoke. Day 1-3 I had to take out a bud in the morning to let it dry out appropriate enough to be smoked. By day 4 the bud was already spongy and the stems break and not bend. Slightly fresh tasting on the first day and today I don't get any of that.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

But here’s the thing… 14-16 day dry in controlled environment, buds smelled, smoked and tasted amazing, not harsh… into grove bag & heat sealed, RH in bag 62%, then dropped to 58 after a couple weeks, then down to 53 a few weeks later. Bags were in 68F. After 7 weeks of cure the buds are not as flavorful and became slightly harsh..back of the throat deal when smoked from a small dry glass bowl (no filtration).

Since the buds were flavorful and smooth before going into grove bags you can rule out that this was a drying error. Since RH in bag was proper that rules out too dry or too wet going into bags. Temps were good in the room, never got above 70f.

Like I said before, next run I’ll do half jars and half bags. But as the info outlined above shows, it seems the bags are the culprit for loss of flavor and adding to the throat hit.
My understanding is that bud doesn't cure well below an RH of 57%. 62% is best. So, could the low RH be the problem? Perhaps it would be helpful to better control of the humidity in the environment in which the bags are stored. This, I think, is also how Boveda packs could be involved. I have been wondering if it would be okay to put one in a Grove bag.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

I have been wondering if it would be okay to put one in a Grove bag.

No. In fact they advise against this.

I feel like reading through this FAQ should be required prior to using these bags.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

@Shaded_One Thank you for the advice and the references. I'm glad I asked.

What about storing Grove bags in an environment that regulates temperature and humidity?

Also... Does anyone have a recommendation for the right type of moisture meter to check buds?

Last edited:
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

@Shaded_One Thank you for the advice and the references. I'm glad I asked.

What about storing Grove bags in an environment that regulates temperature and humidity?
i use Grove bags inside a wine refrigerator set at 65F. Temperature is rock solid stable unless I open up the unit. Humidity averages at 60% using an inkbird humidity controller and a "Peltier" thermo-electric dehumidifier. I say "averages" because if you look at the graph, there's many peaks and valleys but the "average of 60%" is about where we want it to be. The good news is it seems to be working well so far despite all those spikes I see on the graph.

I'll know more in a few more weeks.

2Bad

2Bad

Thanks. I just joined the thread and didn't realize that's what you were talking about.
It's a good question blonde. I bought a meter 6 months ago an had to return it because it wasn't the same as people on here were using.

Dothraki

Dothraki

My understanding is that bud doesn't cure well below an RH of 57%. 62% is best. So, could the low RH be the problem? Perhaps it would be helpful to better control of the humidity in the environment in which the bags are stored. This, I think, is also how Boveda packs could be involved. I have been wondering if it would be okay to put one in a Grove bag.
It was those percentages inside the bag, I think low RH in the house is the issue. So yeah the RH in the storing area could definitely be the issue, but Grove Bags never mention that so I was under the impression they kept RH between 58-62% in normal living conditions (which gets pretty dry in a lot of places).

Dothraki

Dothraki

i use Grove bags inside a wine refrigerator set at 65F. Temperature is rock solid stable unless I open up the unit. Humidity averages at 60% using an inkbird humidity controller and a "Peltier" thermo-electric dehumidifier. I say "averages" because if you look at the graph, there's many peaks and valleys but the "average of 60%" is about where we want it to be. The good news is it seems to be working well so far despite all those spikes I see on the graph.

I'll know more in a few more weeks.
That sounds like the way to go…but don’t they need fresh oxygen to exchange through that plastic membrane they created? Or is there plenty in a space like that?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

That sounds like the way to go…but don’t they need fresh oxygen to exchange through that plastic membrane they created? Or is there plenty in a space like that?
The Grove bags should not be completely filled ... like up to 75% full. It was posted earlier today. The bags should then be stored within the temp and humidity range specified by "Grove." It's one viable method to cure, but far from the only one.

As for O2 being needed for the cure process, I'm not sure. I don't think curing is considered an anaerobic process so that suggests a need for some O2 but beyond that, I'll defer to someone who knows more about the actual process we call "curing."

midgesmith

midgesmith

Feel free to digitally flog me if it goes without saying or has been posted here enough times to drive you mad, but Groves official info is quite good and pretty transparent seeming - though I haven't found commetary on the ideal environment in which to keep their bags... Their youtube channel is here, if you are interested:

freezeland2

freezeland2

It was those percentages inside the bag, I think low RH in the house is the issue. So yeah the RH in the storing area could definitely be the issue, but Grove Bags never mention that so I was under the impression they kept RH between 58-62% in normal living conditions (which gets pretty dry in a lot of places).
I have low humidity here like you. Are you sure you didn’t get some bags that have a tear or something in them? What size bags are you using? I would recommend nothing smaller than a 1/4 lb bag for curing.

TSD

TSD

I keep mine in a giant Coleman cooler in my basement, I'd say similar conditions to a wine fridge, as it's a stone basement with partially dirt floors. Around 60 degrees and more humid than the rest of the house, I don't have a meter down there. I think me getting in periodically to refill my jars gives the cooler plenty of new air. I have amazing results with the groves in the cooler. I have kept a smaller grove upstairs, where it's warm and dry, and the bud will dry past what it was put in at over time, if the conditions the bag is in aren't optimal, especially if there's a small amount in a bigger bag... I have a pellet stove so it can get quite dry and hot. The bags aren't magic, you still have to control the environment they're in somewhat... their website doesn't mention humidity, but it does say a 60 degree dim room for best results.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

@freezeland2 I'm guessing this is the meter we're discussing. It's the same brand and at $40 it's in the price range that was mentioned. It's the only General model Lowe's lists that has pins.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I was thinking the low ambient RH could be the reason the humidity inside the bag dropped so low. Occam's Razor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom