Grove Bags Yes? No? Why?

• Thread starter CannaGranny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
TSD

TSD

I feel like that's a huge part of his problems as well. Not that these smaller bags don't work but they are better used for personal stash or hand outs for friends.

Especially the "glass-less" 1oz bags. They have different zippers on them that are meant for high volume use.
QP is the smallest I'll use. Half are good too. I think you're right, having the "headspace" is important... and if you put an ounce in an ounce bag, there's not a lot of space left, whereas the bigger ones seem to be more roomy. I just put less if it's a fluffier bud and there's not enough room....like 3 ounces instead of 4.

TSD

TSD

I've also found that too much headspace is bad as well, too much air inside and you start to dry a bit. Gotta consolidate as you dwindle down or move to jars. They're really for long term storage with the perfect amount inside, that's why I have head jars and get in them sparingly. They have to be left alone and stored properly to work as advertised. 🤷‍♀️

E

elusiveshame

QP is the smallest I'll use. Half are good too. I think you're right, having the "headspace" is important... and if you put an ounce in an ounce bag, there's not a lot of space left, whereas the bigger ones seem to be more roomy. I just put less if it's a fluffier bud and there's not enough room....like 3 ounces instead of 4.
I believe they say to leave 25% of the bag unfilled to get the best results, so headspace is definitely important.

freezeland2

freezeland2

I've also found that too much headspace is bad as well, too much air inside and you start to dry a bit. Gotta consolidate as you dwindle down or move to jars. They're really for long term storage with the perfect amount inside, that's why I have head jars and get in them sparingly. They have to be left alone and stored properly to work as advertised. 🤷‍♀️
^^^^^^^^

Dothraki

Dothraki

I feel like that's a huge part of his problems as well. Not that these smaller bags don't work but they are better used for personal stash or hand outs for friends.

Especially the "glass-less" 1oz bags. They have different zippers on them that are meant for high volume use.
The size of bag shouldn’t matter though, unless it’s a difference in manufacturing but mine was heat sealed, with 25% head space, so the zipper wouldn’t matter. They still taste good, are fairly smooth, and smell awesome, just not as much as before.

TSD

TSD

The size of bag shouldn’t matter though, unless it’s a difference in manufacturing but mine was heat sealed, with 25% head space, so the zipper wouldn’t matter. They still taste good, are fairly smooth, and smell awesome, just not as much as before.
It shouldn't, but I think they lost some space in the sizing down or something, because a qp in a qp bag usually has plenty of space unless it's very fluffy bud, but an ounce seems to barely fit in an ounce bag with almost no extra space... maybe they've remedied this disparity by now though, I haven't gotten bags since 2021.

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
Is it weird I can only fit three 1oz bags in one 1/4lb bag? Or am I the only one playing around with double bagging?

So here's my 2 pennies in all this...Drying is a personal art. I personally prefer smoke, feel, and smell tests over using meters but I'm old school.
When the day comes to bag it up, don't pick a rainy day or a day where it's about to rain or just did rain. I like >50% RH is ideal. Ambient RH matters. Ever set a dried and cured bud on a rolling tray all day during a rainy day? If so you know what I'm talking about.
Not all of the grove bags are the same. Different sizes between the 1oz variety, different zippers, and different plastics. Results may vary.
These bags much like boveda do a better RH adjustment by raising it rather than lowering it. Better to over dry and correct it in the bag or jar than under dry and keep it high RH and get mold.
I play around with capacity. Once ran averages of 62 grams per 1oz bag and it gave really good results. Headspace is not my friend when it comes to curing or aging weed.
Be it volume or heat seals, there's some info by Grove that to me is about selling more bags. Like to me it doesn't make sense to heat seal a permeable bag but to each their own.
Good weather for bagging today so I've got some work to do. Happy growing and groving Farmers!!

BTW next time you're at the market browse the canned beans aisle. You might see some refried beans in bags very similar to Grove in every way other than labels. And yes I kinda want the refried beans bags now for stealth purposes. But without the beans of course 😎

Last edited:
Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Is it weird I can only fit three 1oz bags in one 1/4lb bag? Or am I the only one playing around with double bagging?

Yes. I can fit around 120-150g in the 1/4lb bags which is > 4 oz. 😎

I don't see how they would sell more bags by advising 25% headspace? The bags hold the exact weight they intend to WITH the additional headspace added on top. But I'm with you on the touch/smell/taste aspect of things. If you read through the FAQ there is some nerdy science stuff going on with the oxygen levels in the bag required for an ideal cure.

sambapati

sambapati

So here's my 2 pennies in all this...Drying is a personal art. I personally prefer smoke, feel, and smell tests over using meters but I'm old school.
When the day comes to bag it up, don't pick a rainy day or a day where it's about to rain or just did rain. I like >50% RH is ideal. Ambient RH matters. Ever set a dried and cured bud on a rolling tray all day during a rainy day? If so you know what I'm talking about.
Not all of the grove bags are the same. Different sizes between the 1oz variety, different zippers, and different plastics. Results may vary.
These bags much like boveda do a better RH adjustment by raising it rather than lowering it. Better to over dry and correct it in the bag or jar than under dry and keep it high RH and get mold.
I play around with capacity. Once ran averages of 62 grams per 1oz bag and it gave really good results. Headspace is not my friend when it comes to curing or aging weed.
Be it volume or heat seals, there's some info by Grove that to me is about selling more bags. Like to me it doesn't make sense to heat seal a permeable bag but to each their own.
Good weather for bagging today so I've got some work to do. Happy growing and groving Farmers!!

BTW next time you're at the market browse the canned beans aisle. You might see some refried beans in bags very similar to Grove in every way other than labels. And yes I kinda want the refried beans bags now for stealth purposes. But without the beans of course 😎
Very possible those pinto bean bags are also made by grove They are a big company and the weed bags are just part of their business.

Dothraki

Dothraki

It sells itself. Just check it out and you should be sold.
Just checked it out. I actually have tons of metal containers I can throw bovida packs in but I would prefer not to keep my weed against metal due to oxidizing and other possible reactions that happen when moisture and gasses and oily organic compounds come in contact with different metals and additives and conditioners etc.

In fact, 304 stainless steel is EXTREMELY vulnerable to salts and chlorides. I wouldn’t keep them near a pool, or an ocean. If you live near salt stay faaaaar away from Cvault.

Thank you for recommending Cvault. This looks like the worst possible storage solution for cannabis I have ever seen.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

When I bought Grove bags about a year ago I probably paid about $60. I bought everything from 1lb bag to 1/2lb to 1oz bags, ton of 1/4oz that were White Widow printed, and black ones, small cool mailing bag and others. I've used them, re-used them, and still have some new. Gave away most and I will say is this. I find them to be a great alternative to jars and likely the best option besides them. Jars come in tons of sizes as well. At some point we must realize that our opinions, although they may differ, doesn't make them wrong. We all don't lioe the same shit so no way we would always agree on something like jars vs groves. I have grove bags and guess what, I dried in a fridge and a wine cooler, then put in grove bags with boveda 58s, and now they have been happily in small jars for weeks. I open maybe once a week and everything seems good.
I think it would be tough to actually discern if one method is truly better than the other. Seems too many caveats to it but I am very interested in the feedback of those runnin simultaneous tests. Yall gangsta herbal pioneers doin the legwork for us 💪😡

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom