grow #1 dec 2023 - first indoor in 20 years

• Thread starter budjamesbud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

budjamesbud

ok, i've decided to start growing again and wanted to keep track of expenses, setup, schedules, etc.
so i've purcahsed some stuff this past week and saved a bunch on BF deals. going to be here nov 25th

so this is what i've purchased so far
VIPARSPECTRA 2023 XS1500 Pro LED - $118cdn
VIVOSUN 4 Inch 190 CFM Inline Fan with Speed Controller,Carbon Filter, Ducting, Temp Hum Monitor - $127cdn
Zazzy Grow Tent 32"x32"x63" - $87.99cdn
(TOTAL to date = $333CDN)

looking at grow medium, fert and seeds. i will post an update on these once i'ved decided

Tent setup
B

budjamesbud

ok, i made my seed purchase
i went with QCS:
NL x Skunk - feminized $33cdn - 5 seeds
Grape Skunk - feminized $33cdn - 5 seeds
(TOTAL to date = $399CDN)

they both havbe similar flowering times and are mostly indica, which i like. i wanted to go with black domina b/c i had some years ago that i loved and always remebered it.... except, it was $36 for only 3 seeds and had no reviews

Genetics
B

budjamesbud

i've decided to do a coco coir/perlite soiless mix.
bought some cal mag and going to buffer the coco

i plan on using Adv Nutes organic stuff

so i purchsed a some:
coco coir - $26cdn
perlite - $23cdn
AN cal mag - $17cdn
(approx TOTAL to date = $470CDN)

i'm hoping my tent arrives this weekend so i can start getting the laundry room setup and be ready for the other stuff

Coco perlite
B

budjamesbud

Hello folks
so, i bought my Advanced Nutes stuff for Veg from Canada Grow Supplies. i took advantage of the Black Friday deals and free shipping over $150 to save $55. i also found that their stuff was much cheaper than other places, so i probably saved a lot more. the amounts i bought should be enough for at least 2 grows. i spent $170.
i'll buy the flowering stuff when i need it. it's expected to cost $130.
i've researched a lot on feeding routines using Adv Nutrients in Coco Coir. Using their charts and some OG suggestions i've come up with my own fert schedule/plan that i'll follow for this grow. i've also made some daily data sheets to keep track of daily fertilizing, temp, RH, etc.

early this week i hope to get my coco/perlite/calMag so i can prep that. i'm expecting my seeds and fertilizer late in the week. then i'll be good to go until i need my bloom stuff.

i also found a great website with loads of good info on coco grows: https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/toc/

i'm at $640 invested so far. adding the flowering stuff brings it to an estimated $770. factoring in some other odds and end, it'll probably be $800 invested for the grow. so, i need about 8oz to break even. that might be optimistic for first grow, but second grow i'll need much less to offset costs.

(approx TOTAL to date = $640CDN)

Adv Nutes purchase
Adv Nutes Fert Schedule
Veg Datasheet v1
Flo Datasheet v1
B

budjamesbud

bought some 1 gallon and 5 gallon pots and some syringes to measure ferts
spent about $50
going to start them in paper twels, into solo cups, then 1 gallon and then 5 gallon

(approx TOTAL to date = $690CDN)

Pots syringes
JKash

JKash

Can you out GRAV The Gravmaster???
Supporter
the tech has improved and gotten so cheap.... was using a 400w halide and sodium back in the day
1000w mh/hps here when I started... yes its quite impressive how mainstream growing has become!!!

B

budjamesbud

1000w mh/hps here when I started... yes its quite impressive how mainstream growing has become!!!
it's actually insane the knowledge out there too. when i grew backin the early 00's there were some forums, but the stuff on youtube/etc is fantastic.
i grew a little outside in the summer. didn't really pay any attention to it, but got some nice little nuggs. i used seeds i have had for 20 years lol. i imagnine the genetics have imprved too..
this re-ignited the itch lol
jumped on the internet and blown away at how cheap stuff is. talked to my bro and decided we should try something.
tent is setup
coco should be here today
seeds, i'm thinking friday
ferts.... not sure

booda501

booda501

Same here man. I'm getting all my supplies together to start growing again after many years. Got Purple Cake and GG4 from Greenpoint Seeds. I'm ready to start from the bottom and learn about all these strains. Best of luck! 🫡🤙

Choppr

Choppr

A 400w Halide is FAR Superior to the 150w LED your attempting to use...sorry. I dont see a TDS/PPM/pH/EC combo meter in your purchase orders. Your running Hydro (inert media), You need to know exactly in ppm/EC/pH of your Nutrient Solutions both whats going in and whats coming out, by intermittently testing run-off. Hydro is a little more technical than reading a a nutrient bottle and dumping it in...again sorry. If your in it for real, you need the tools to be successful (a $14.00 meter aint gonna cut it for long) Apera, Bluelab Hanna Instruments recommended, these are accurate/and hold recalibration, and last for years, get 1 with the replaceable probe. All this happy talk about "cheap" just went down the drain...again sorry. The 150w fixture is for clones/seedlings. Even with 1 Plant once she gets big/bushy, you'll have poor light penetration, weak stems, larfy/airy buds, low bud weight, minimum for success is 240w / Plant, I recommend 300w per plant to new growers that I coach, most try a 300w for 2 plants, it works and they do OK, but if you want real "bangers" you need better lighting, better lighting means you can push them harder with nutrients, its all about transpiration....I dont mean to rain on your parade but i sometimes get irritated with Happy Talk that sets people up to fail - I put it to you straight hopefully your not offended. any help feel free to hit me up. Right-On!

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

Looks like you're (wisely) tracking every penny, so I'll offer an idea for later, when your AN stuff runs out: for similar money, you could get close to a lifetime supply of dry nutes. Jack's, Peters, Masterblend, Monster Crop, etc.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
A 400w Halide is FAR Superior to the 150w LED your attempting to use...sorry. I dont see a TDS/PPM/pH/EC combo meter in your purchase orders. Your running Hydro (inert media), You need to know exactly in ppm/EC/pH of your Nutrient Solutions both whats going in and whats coming out, by intermittently testing run-off. Hydro is a little more technical than reading a a nutrient bottle and dumping it in...again sorry. If your in it for real, you need the tools to be successful (a $14.00 meter aint gonna cut it for long) Apera, Bluelab Hanna Instruments recommended, these are accurate/and hold recalibration, and last for years, get 1 with the replaceable probe. All this happy talk about "cheap" just went down the drain...again sorry. The 150w fixture is for clones/seedlings. Even with 1 Plant once she gets big/bushy, you'll have poor light penetration, weak stems, larfy/airy buds, low bud weight, minimum for success is 240w / Plant, I recommend 300w per plant to new growers that I coach, most try a 300w for 2 plants, it works and they do OK, but if you want real "bangers" you need better lighting, better lighting means you can push them harder with nutrients, its all about transpiration....I dont mean to rain on your parade but i sometimes get irritated with Happy Talk that sets people up to fail - I put it to you straight hopefully your not offended. any help feel free to hit me up. Right-On!
For the most part @chopper you are spot on, couldn't have said it as politely as you though 👍

But as for the light, I own one. I watched this grow here at the Farm:

I flower cannabis with HID's but this little Vipar light will surprise you. I've got mine over the wife's flower garden and only run it on 50%. If a fella's goal is a cheap grow then this will suffice, $97 US on their 420 sale. Pics in the link below if interested

jj

Greenbudsequalslove

Greenbudsequalslove

ok, i've decided to start growing again and wanted to keep track of expenses, setup, schedules, etc.
so i've purcahsed some stuff this past week and saved a bunch on BF deals. going to be here nov 25th

so this is what i've purchased so far
VIPARSPECTRA 2023 XS1500 Pro LED - $118cdn
VIVOSUN 4 Inch 190 CFM Inline Fan with Speed Controller,Carbon Filter, Ducting, Temp Hum Monitor - $127cdn
Zazzy Grow Tent 32"x32"x63" - $87.99cdn
(TOTAL to date = $333CDN)

looking at grow medium, fert and seeds. i will post an update on these once i'ved decided

IMG 20231126 100512
IMG 20231126 100447
Greenbudsequalslove

Greenbudsequalslove

I recently decided to do pretty much the same thing you did LOL also used Amazon got slightly different items for similar slightly lower prices definitely recommend great setup they not only hold temperature well but they actually hold in the smell pretty good still waiting for my ventilation pieces but in the meantime I have one of the bottom panels removed where they're screened perfect indirect light for my cactuses

IMG 20231126 100702
Greenbudsequalslove

Greenbudsequalslove

I recently decided to do pretty much the same thing you did LOL also used Amazon got slightly different items for similar slightly lower prices definitely recommend great setup they not only hold temperature well but they actually hold in the smell pretty good still waiting for my ventilation pieces but in the meantime I have one of the bottom panels removed where they're screened perfect indirect light for my cactuses
There's different windows with pieces that velcro over the windows

B

budjamesbud

thanks!
i appreciate your comments
i do have a pH meter and plan on measuing. i think i still have my EC meter. if not, they are cheap.
i am using Adv Nutes "pH perfect" stuff and have heard that it's pretty reliable, but i will still measure.
i did a dwc years ago with a bubbler. such a pain to pH all the time. i'm hoping the ph perfect holds true to it's name
i have NO experience with these LEDs. i did buy one of the top rated and have seen some good results for some people. so hopefully it'll be good enough for this grow.
i can' t help the happy talk lol.... i'm excited to get going again. the tent will be so much easier than climbing under the stairs lol
i do have realistic expectations.

thanks again

would you put a 400w halide/sodium in a 3x3?

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
thanks!
i appreciate your comments
i do have a pH meter and plan on measuing. i think i still have my EC meter. if not, they are cheap.
i am using Adv Nutes "pH perfect" stuff and have heard that it's pretty reliable, but i will still measure.
i did a dwc years ago with a bubbler. such a pain to pH all the time. i'm hoping the ph perfect holds true to it's name
i have NO experience with these LEDs. i did buy one of the top rated and have seen some good results for some people. so hopefully it'll be good enough for this grow.
i can' t help the happy talk lol.... i'm excited to get going again. the tent will be so much easier than climbing under the stairs lol
i do have realistic expectations.

thanks again

would you put a 400w halide/sodium in a 3x3?
Before led’s were a viable option, yes I’m old, the basic footprints people went by were

400 2x2
600 3x3
1000 4x4 which is what I still run

B

budjamesbud

Looks like you're (wisely) tracking every penny, so I'll offer an idea for later, when your AN stuff runs out: for similar money, you could get close to a lifetime supply of dry nutes. Jack's, Peters, Masterblend, Monster Crop, etc.
i've been looking at the dry nute stuff. interesting
the masterblend has tons of different formluations!
do you use dry nutes?
how do you decide which formulation?

.... i think i might add NPK ratio to my data sheets to see how it changes

Top Bottom