Grow #2 - Six Strains & A Freebee

• Thread starter Phylex
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Phylex

Phylex

With my first indoor grow (local clones) ending the third week of flower, I decided to start my second grow (seeds) on New Years Day. Since starting from seed and trying to grow perpetually will be a first for me, I decided to not break into all of my premium seeds and practice with some I couldn't care less about.

Yesterday I dropped two seeds from six different strains into cups of water. The strains chosen for this run are Tangie, Blackjack, Gelat OG, Aurora Indica, Alien Stardawg x Polar Bear OG, and 9lb. Hammer. 12 seeds total.

Today, I bought a rack from Home Depot, and a four bulb Sun Blaze T-5 from my Hydro store. 4 6500K bulbs. I was gifted three freebee mystery seeds while there. I was told they're Birthday Cake. So I dropped one of them in a cup of water for a new total of 13 seeds.

I'll be starting off with Happy Frog and transplanting into Ocean Forest.

So far two seeds popped tap roots after a 24 hour soak. (1 Tangie & 1 BlackJack) They went into clear plastic cups with the Happy Frog soil. Those clear plastic cups were then placed into red solo cups. (A tip after reading through JWM2's grow journal.)

The remaining seeds were placed into wet Chipotle napkins (they looked cheap) and placed into a zip lock bag left open. I'll check them tomorrow.

I'll be leaving the T-5 on 24hrs.

Side note: As an experiment I took four cuttings from my current grow. I threw them in a cup of tap water to see what happens. They've been placed under the T-5 light for re-veg if they survive and grow roots. I've never cloned before either. I couldn't care less if they don't survive. I just wanted to try this and see what happens. I'll replace the water in the cup every two to three days until they die or grow roots.

I'll upload some pics tomorrow and hopefully I'll have some more seeds to plant. Cheers

Phylex

Phylex

Update: After a 24hr soak and overnight in the bagged paper towel method, all seeds popped their tap roots except the Alien Stardawg x Polar Bear OG. I'm still waiting on those two seeds. I'll check again tonight.

Exception: The freebee Birthday Cake seed is about 24 hours behind and has only been soaking in a cup of water for about 14 hours.

10 of 13 seeds potted into the clear plastic cups and placed into the red solo's. (Happy Frog Soil)

I trimmed up the four clones and replaced the water. I figured I needed to remove the 3 week flowers that were present and cut the lower fan leaves in half.

GermSeeds
ClearCups
Rack
GermSeed1
SGClones
Phylex

Phylex

Is your tangie seed feminized? I ask because that’s the only feminized seed I’ve had that was big and striped and not just kinda smaller and whitish.
Yes, the Tangie was a feminized seed. The seed sizes varied across the board. But I haven’t come across any whitish ones yet from any of the breeders. I only have a few strains that are regular. Most were feminized.

Phylex

Phylex

Update: Day 6

So far out of thirteen seeds, only one hasn't cracked. (Alien Stardawg x Polar Bear OG) I just took it out of the paper towel and planted it into soil. Hopefully it just needs some more time.

Breaking ground: So far (1) Tangie, (2) 9lb. Hammer, and (2) GelatOG have begun sprouting.

Nothing really to report on my clone experiment other than they're still alive. I'm not sure how long it takes for them to produce roots if they're going to. There isn't anything present yet. I'm debating throwing two of them in soil to see what happens.

G2Day6
G2Day61
G2Day62
G2Day6Clones
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Update: Day 6

So far out of thirteen seeds, only one hasn't cracked. (Alien Stardawg x Polar Bear OG) I just took it out of the paper towel and planted it into soil. Hopefully it just needs some more time.

Breaking ground: So far (1) Tangie, (2) 9lb. Hammer, and (2) GelatOG have begun sprouting.

Nothing really to report on my clone experiment other than they're still alive. I'm not sure how long it takes for them to produce roots if they're going to. There isn't anything present yet. I'm debating throwing two of them in soil to see what happens.

Not an expert but I think it's about 10-14 days. Half that in a cloner.

Phylex

Phylex

Update: Day 9

Enclosing the rack is 98% complete. I haven't figured out how I want to mount or make doors. Right now I'll just leave the last cut pieces off. If I need to, I can just tape up the forward facing opening with pieces I already have cut. I used styrofoam roofing insulator with the reflective siding and HVAC aluminum tape to seal it all up. I cut in some registers for airflow and should do the trick.

Since my last update I've had two more seedling sprout. (1) BlackJack and the (1) freebee Birthday Cake.

I ended the clone experiment. I just threw them away because I wanted to focus more on my flower tent and these seedlings. I'll reattempt the cloning experiment when these seedlings are well developed into veg.

Here's some pics of the rack transition and the seedlings. I hope some more pop in the next few days. 7 out of 13 just isn't good enough for me. I know they're in there working somewhere. They just need to find the light.

Rack1
Rack2
Rack3
Rack4
Rack5
SeedsDay9
SeedsDay91
newh

newh

Enclosing the rack is 98% complete. I haven't figured out how I want to mount or make doors. Right now I'll just leave the last cut pieces off. If I need to, I can just tape up the forward facing opening with pieces I already have cut. I used styrofoam roofing insulator with the reflective siding and HVAC aluminum tape to seal it all up. I cut in some registers for airflow and should do the trick.

Since my last update I've had two more seedling sprout. (1) BlackJack and the (1) freebee Birthday Cake.

I ended the clone experiment. I just threw them away because I wanted to focus more on my flower tent and these seedlings. I'll reattempt the cloning experiment when these seedlings are well developed into veg.

Here's some pics of the rack transition and the seedlings. I hope some more pop in the next few days. 7 out of 13 just isn't good enough for me. I know they're in there working somewhere. They just need to find the light.
the ones that didnt pop out yet might want a lil more heat,put em on top of the light for a day or two.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

the ones that didnt pop out yet might want a lil more heat,put em on top of the light for a day or two.

Also, on the next attempt, give a few light scrapes across a matchbook striker on any of the same type that you're having problems with. They may be old and the abrasions will help moisture get through the seed coat.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Very nice man, very nice.

SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

Good job bro! Makes me wish I had a rack now tho

Phylex

Phylex

Update: Yesterday day 13 from dropping seeds in a cup of water. Transplanted 6 into one gallon plastic pots. I have three other baby minions still in solo cups filled with Happy Frog. However they're looking a little sad, and have barely sprouted. I tossed the others because they never broke soil. So possibly 9 out of 13 seeds. Not the best success rate on my first attempt at seeds, but it's better than nothing.

Baby Minions: (1) Aurora Indica, (1) Gelat OG (1) BlackJack

Potted: (2) 9lb. Hammer, (1) Tangie, (1) Birthday Cake Kush, (1) BlackJack, (1) Gelat OG

Lost/Never Sprouted: Both Alien Stardawg x Polar Bear OG, (1) Tangie, (1) Aurora Indica

For the potted plants I mixed up 40% FFOF, 40% Pindstrup Coco, 20% Perlite. The Pindstrup Substrate is PH'd to 6.0 and is shredded. In a different post, I got that backwards. I said it was crushed vs. shredded. I added Mikos into the holes before transplant and I watered with super thrive 1.5ml into 5 gallons of filtered water, PH'd to 6.2, PPM 200.

While transplanting I noticed 9lb. Hammer #2 had beautiful violet coloring on the underside of the leaves. I'm really excited to see how this one matures. 9lb. Hammer #1 was just your typical green like the rest of the other strains I transplanted.

And I just switched the lighting to an 18/6 schedule last night

SeedsDay14
SeedsDay141
Last edited:
Phylex

Phylex

I topped the fifth node on one of them today. The others were still on their fourth node. To keep things simple, I just topped the remaining 5 on their fourth node.

Top Bottom