Grow advise in Ontario

• Thread starter Briand1234
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
Think of filming the same as topping just instead of topping at any node when filming you take as little as possible. The newest shoots you top with scissors you fix with tweezers.

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
Bet I'm not more than 15min from you @Briand1234 Cambridge

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Think of filming the same as topping just instead of topping at any node when filming you take as little as possible. The newest shoots you top with scissors you fix with tweezers.
Yes, but when you take it, your got to take all of it, not just half
small as possible, but the "whole" thing. the outer layer is another set of leaves turned 90 degrees So as soon as that new one is delineated, from the outer layers, it can be removed.

Even snipping with a small sissors would do fine.

airedog

airedog

Supporter
Where do you get those genetic seeds from? I've found canuk seeds to be doing good as of right now. And ahh I havent figured out where exactly to fim yet cause I dont want to mess it up last year I accidently did it ig cause it grew 4 tops was really surprised.

drgreenthumb.com

They're a Canadian company and currently shipping, although the process takes a bit longer these days.

airedog

airedog

Supporter
Yes, but when you take it, your got to take all of it, not just half
small as possible, but the "whole" thing. the outer layer is another set of leaves turned 90 degrees So as soon as that new one is delineated, from the outer layers, it can be removed.

Even snipping with a small sissors would do fine.

Leaving a bit is the whole idea, FIM - Fuck I Missed; old school though, i use my thumbnail and index finger.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Leaving a bit is the whole idea, FIM - Fuck I Missed; old school though, i use my thumbnail and index finger.
Yea, leaving much of the top intact yes, but I like to get an even top, not a lopsided one, I removed both leaves, not just one. If I'm not mistaken, this is the correct method, unless I've been doing it wrong all these years.

My point being, you can have an incomplete top, that wont make even splits in the nodes, regardless, two nodes are always achieved, many people take off more than a single layer or set, and that's where the problems begin, as your setting yourself back, unproductively.

I don't top much anymore actually, but I think if you do it, it's good to do it fairly early, and then again later, and maybe one more time. (unless your using some predetermined advanced techniques) You want to do it in a way that you keep splitting those biggest stem sites, along the apical node, and run it to it's completion, until your sites are somewhat uniform, and the same size, that way you'll get a nice even coat of buds, and even distributions of nutrients to each site, creating more uniform growth.

It works well with photos, but I mostly run auto's these days.
Your first photo's look nice, looks like a perfect job in my book, using steaks or wires works really well with this technique, or even netting anything to hold them in place.

Those always get floppy for me at the end, so it's good to have them firmly secured.

Last edited:
Briand1234

Briand1234

I'm near brantford area I say Hamilton for people who have no idea where since Hamilton is a big city I useally steak them around when they flower to hold it up cause they seem fine till then than they start flopping over. I'll have to try out that genetics. And yeah I'm new to topping and that I use my trimmers to be accurate cause when i seem to use my finger i snap the top when i pull the node off for some reason.

Briand1234

Briand1234

Can you top clones? And do you top them like normal plants? Cause I tried that and didn't notice anything yet? I was wondering if it's possible.

Sh311Sh0ck3d

Sh311Sh0ck3d

Th
Is this pre flower and is it too early for it to be thinking about flowering. As its July 19th. My girls last year didn't flower till mid August. And harvested around mid October.
Thats cool, its female preflowers, just showing its sex. They can do this as early as 6 weeks but I usually grow from seed for 10 to 12 weeks to allow the plant to reach maturity. Growing outside is slightly different but the plant will behave much the same way. Male preflowers you don't want, obviously.

Briand1234

Briand1234

Well another problem I went to check on my plants and one of my clones branch snapped almost completely off how long will it need to heal or will it even? :(
20200727 173905
20200727 173508
20200727 173512

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
It depends is completely detached from the plant? It will heal eventually.

There calling for hot muggy weather in southern Ontario in to late fall so you'll have time to finish still I'd bet

Sh311Sh0ck3d

Sh311Sh0ck3d

Well another problem I went to check on my plants and one of my clones branch snapped almost completely off how long will it need to heal or will it even? :(View attachment 1006533View attachment 1006538View attachment 1006535
You could cut it off completely and put it into a slim glass of water. Keep the water topped up and in around 10 days you should see roots or signs of them, little white bumps on the strm. Once it has roits plant it. Clones carry the mother plants age so the clone will be as mature as the plant it come off. It will revert back to veg after it grows roots but it will flower same time as its mother. Cloning plants is pretty straight forward and definitely worth the trouble especially in this case.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Personally, I wouldn't clone it if it's already in flower. That said, I've had some pretty snapped stuff in my time, they get more rigid and prone to snapping in flower, than in veg. If you address it right away, you can either tie it or tape it back into place. I've even used stretching tape or Self Bonding Silicone Tape is by far the best repair method IMO, as it will give as the plant grows, if necessary.

All you've got to do is get them mated up correctly, and nature will repair the rest, in fact it will get stronger there. It will repair itself in a few days, and you'll know if the leafs perk back up or not. I would give them at least 2 or 3 days to spring back.

Sure you can top clones, and some clones come already topped, depending on what part was used for the clone. You want to cut clones in a way that essentially effectively forms the right growth start that your looking for, and each clone on a plant is going to be slightly different, depending on where it's cut from. You can either top a top clone before it grow roots or afterwards, there is no set rules, I don't think..

Briand1234

Briand1234

Th
Thats cool, its female preflowers, just showing its sex. They can do this as early as 6 weeks but I usually grow from seed for 10 to 12 weeks to allow the plant to reach maturity. Growing outside is slightly different but the plant will behave much the same way. Male preflowers you don't want, obviously.
Sweet so far it's been I think 2weeks since I noticed cant
Th

Yeah I think its
Th
Yeah I think it's been 2weeks since I noticed males produce coconut or banana shaped right?

Briand1234

Briand1234

Thanks I steaked
Personally, I wouldn't clone it if it's already in flower. That said, I've had some pretty snapped stuff in my time, they get more rigid and prone to snapping in flower, than in veg. If you address it right away, you can either tie it or tape it back into place. I've even used stretching tape or Self Bonding Silicone Tape is by far the best repair method IMO, as it will give as the plant grows, if necessary.

All you've got to do is get them mated up correctly, and nature will repair the rest, in fact it will get stronger there. It will repair itself in a few days, and you'll know if the leafs perk back up or not. I would give them at least 2 or 3 days to spring back.

Sure you can top clones, and some clones come already topped, depending on what part was used for the clone. You want to cut clones in a way that essentially effectively forms the right growth start that your looking for, and each clone on a plant is going to be slightly different, depending on where it's cut from. You can either top a top clone before it grow roots or afterwards, there is no set rules, I don't think..
[/Q

Thanks I put a steak in and tied it off with twist tie atm the Duck tape was on me already so I tied it off soon as I noticed it I'm going to assume it was animals or something cause I've never seen that happen especially at the base like that was. I was in disbelief cause I so thought I lost my plant. UPDATE plant leafs haven't dropped yet it's been a day so I'm hoping that's a good sign. Not the best pictures.

And do you just top them at the new growth like you do from seed? Cause my clone is growing them off the sides instead of like a seed would. Also it's notthe first time this has happened to this plant the first time it was like someone pinched my stock and it just bent over if you guys know what I mean. This plant has been nothing but stress and annoying and was wondering if it's just one of those clones that's like a default or weak lol if anyone knows what I mean?

20200728 104210
20200728 104225
20200728 104240
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Thanks I steaked

Healthy thriving cannabis plants are essentially self healing and impervious as long as the fracture is not transverse across the stem angle, ie. 90 degrees from the length, if it's what we call an oblique, or spiral fracture, that is along the length of the break, usually from torsion (twisting) or stress along the V nodes. It's amazing when you think about it, that spot will grow back stronger and better than before.

With that silicone tape, I've fixed branches that were totally un-fixable otherwise. They can actually line up the smallest of things, if you've got enough patience and dexterity, I use my magnification headset during these types of "operations" and have fixed snapped plants, as long as it's done right away, you've got like a 50/50 chance. I usually put a stick in to brace the taped spot.

I think it also has to do with how far your into flowering, because the stem is considered "dead cells" so the plant still needs to be "regenerative" which tends to diminish over time. It's fun trying, cause I move plants a fair amount, so things do happen. Not in a long while though.

Last edited:
Briand1234

Briand1234

Yeah I'm hoping it's all good which I think it is went back out before sundown and still no droopy leafs so 🤞

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Yeah I'm hoping it's all good which I think it is went back out before sundown and still no droopy leafs so 🤞
there's no question there if it's good, believe me, that's at 99% right now.

Briand1234

Briand1234

I know you guys will laugh at this but this plant grew super slow during its phase and this is why it's so small but I can't help but to laugh at my mistakes and I got more growing and going to put them into organic soil instead of seed straight into my shit ground dirt and hope that it grows faster as it's a 8 week from germination.. strain name is Cream Caramel Auto... and yes I did top it cause I thought topping it will make it not flower and pro long its seedling stage but guess not lol you live you learn 😂😂

20200728 203844
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
This is a bit of a difficult read, but does it well.

These are some of the big fundamentals in this subject, I highly recommend it, as it opened my eyes to a philosophy that was somewhat elusive before. This is the metric from which all other horticulture methods can be measured. How much the plant drinks in H20

It's simply the best marker, by which to measure growth, everyone should be doing this, and strive to understand the mechanisms well. That way, you've got a more informed way of doing things.

It's just like humidity, I should have bought this 12,000 btu unit years ago, and glad I did, because it allows so many more possibilities, controlling heat and humidity exactly. It's what defines indoor vs outdoor conditions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom