Grow diary featuring my irrational obsession with Hawaiian strains

• Thread starter TerriR
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TerriR

TerriR

Visited Hawaiā€™i once upon a time and enjoyed some best-I-evah-had smoke. Been a fan ever since, so was delighted to receive these Orange Budder beans. My annual outdoor grow is already well under way and not certain I have time to grow and harvest them outside, so keeping open the idea of setting up a tent. Anyway, put these in to soak less than 48 hours ago. Very happy that they sprouted in less than 24 hours. Potting them up today in some seedling starter mix. Day one of this grow diary...ALOHA

Grow diary featuring my irrational obsession with hawaiian strains
TerriR

TerriR

Visited Hawaiā€™i once upon a time and enjoyed some best-I-evah-had smoke. Been a fan ever since, so was delighted to receive these Orange Budder beans. My annual outdoor grow is already well under way and not certain I have time to grow and harvest them outside, so keeping open the idea of setting up a tent. Anyway, put these in to soak less than 48 hours ago. Very happy that they sprouted in less than 24 hours. Potting them up today in some seedling starter mix. Day one of this grow diary...ALOHA
so...the embryos never broke the surface. gonna try a couple more with some new seed starter šŸ¤¬

B

Burned Haze

Donā€™t beat yourself over this ( this last round I tried to germinate some old stock and out of 5 packs of 10 seed packs, I only got like 17 phenoā€™s lols )

Seed wise = Rape for something I paid 50-150 bucks originally for + fridge them this whole time ( Iā€™m def going to be ocd about fresh stock and rootsheild and certain germination ways )

I def donā€™t wanna lose the keepers ( thatā€™s the point of pheno hunting, why be so easy on letting the seeds get damaged when I can get a way better % score , remember they are just so vulnerable to failing then or certain bad diseases/fungi that that can wipe em. Like clones

my tip would be look into roosheild wp plus for a defense and I use r/o uv water instead of well water so no bad pathogen for my clones ( it raised my rates to 90-95% min )

Then when I switched from using root riots or grodan on seeds germination , Iā€™ve tried one pack of just my reg medium of coco ( after of just letting the seeds sit in r/o with uv for 6-24 hours ) the seeds that were a 12 pack, 11/12 pack germinated ..... ( rootsheild + seagreen + Rootamentary)

Rootsheild is great for a 10 week anti bad pathogen/fungi, only one I see works
ā€œ
An OMRI listed and EPA registered preventative fungicide - RootShield Plus WP contains two species of beneficial fungi that deliver an extended range of disease control. The two species are:

Apply RootShield Plus WP directly to seeds, transplants or other propagation materials including soil and planting mixes. The unique fungal blend in RootShield Plus WP provides 3 months of preventive control for Phytophthora, Rhizoctonia, Pythium, Fusarium, Thielaviopsis, and Cylindrocladium. Trichoderma helps prevent and control soil-born fungal diseases by colonizing plant root systems and boosting biological diversity in the root zone.

RootShield Plus WP grows onto plant roots, "shielding" plants from soil-borne diseases. This forms a physical barrier preventing root damage, while the fungi in RootShield Plus WP release enzymes that damage fungal pathogens. RootShield Plus is also available in a granular formulation.

REI: 0-hour, 4-hour when used as a dip or dust.

PHI: 0-day pre-harvest interval for all listed crops.

ā€œ

Last edited by a moderator:
TerriR

TerriR

Donā€™t beat yourself over this ( this last round I tried to germinate some old stock and out of 5 packs of 10 seed packs, I only got like 17 phenoā€™s lols )

Seed wise = Rape for something I paid 50-150 bucks originally for + fridge them this whole time ( Iā€™m def going to be ocd about fresh stock and rootsheild and certain germination ways )

I def donā€™t wanna lose the keepers ( thatā€™s the point of pheno hunting, why be so easy on letting the seeds get damaged when I can get a way better % score , remember they are just so vulnerable to failing then or certain bad diseases/fungi that that can wipe em. Like clones

my tip would be look into roosheild wp plus for a defense and I use r/o uv water instead of well water so no bad pathogen for my clones ( it raised my rates to 90-95% min )

Then when I switched from using root riots or grodan on seeds germination , Iā€™ve tried one pack of just my reg medium of coco ( after of just letting the seeds sit in r/o with uv for 6-24 hours ) the seeds that were a 12 pack, 11/12 pack germinated ..... ( rootsheild + seagreen + Rootamentary)

ā€œ
An OMRI listed and EPA registered preventative fungicide - RootShield Plus WP contains two species of beneficial fungi that deliver an extended range of disease control. The two species are:

Apply RootShield Plus WP directly to seeds, transplants or other propagation materials including soil and planting mixes. The unique fungal blend in RootShield Plus WP provides 3 months of preventive control for Phytophthora, Rhizoctonia, Pythium, Fusarium, Thielaviopsis, and Cylindrocladium. Trichoderma helps prevent and control soil-born fungal diseases by colonizing plant root systems and boosting biological diversity in the root zone.

RootShield Plus WP grows onto plant roots, "shielding" plants from soil-borne diseases. This forms a physical barrier preventing root damage, while the fungi in RootShield Plus WP release enzymes that damage fungal pathogens. RootShield Plus is also available in a granular formulation.

ā€œ
Thank you! I will try some of this...the beans did germinate but I believe something like damping off got them...guessing that is fungus. It happens but yeah, I love me some expensive seeds that donā€™t catch. I boil some RO water and soak mine for 12-24 hours then put them in a damp paper towel inside a baggie for a few days...there are times this works perfectly.

TerriR

TerriR

ā€œ

ā€œ
Wow...they donā€™t give this rootshield stuff away! +$100/lb?

B

Burned Haze

Look at the rate, itā€™s 1.5 oz per 5 gal and you use it every 8-12 weeks ( not to shabby instead of stuff you gotta apply weekly and does not work or the spores are dead ) , I even double it when it gets close to expiration ( always keep it in the freeezer , 2x longer )

thing is any fungi species Iā€™ve tried/researched for this kind of thing before rootsheild , didnā€™t work or def does not protect as long ( plus so many species they sell at hydro stores and the fungi.bennies are dead by the time you get it) when I tried actinovate ag a few years ago and spent quite a bit on it, that stuff was bs/didnā€™t work. I saw a comparison of that product vs other integrated Fungi management ( def kicked actinovate ag ass )

Rootsheild when you buy it, the maker sends it directly to ya ( Iā€™m on my 2nd 3lber , last one is full )
Wish we were homies, I would give ya a free 1.5-3 ozā€™s sample so you could see for yourself. I think after that you wouldnā€™t ever grow without it. That def was my conclusion /win

Last edited by a moderator:
TerriR

TerriR

Look at the rate, itā€™s 1.5 oz per 5 gal and you use it every 8-12 weeks ( not to shabby instead of stuff you gotta apply weekly and does not work or the spores are dead ) , I even double it when it gets close to expiration ( always keep it in the freeezer , 2x longer )

thing is any fungi species Iā€™ve tried/researched for this kind of thing before rootsheild , didnā€™t work or def does not protect as long ( plus so many species they sell at hydro stores and the fungi.bennies are dead by the time you get it) when I tried actinovate ag a few years ago and spent quite a bit on it, that stuff was bs/didnā€™t work. I saw a comparison of that product vs other integrated Fungi management ( def kicked actinovate ag ass )

Rootsheild when you buy it, the maker sends it directly to ya ( Iā€™m on my 2nd 3lber , last one is full )
Wish we were homies, I would give ya a free 1.5-3 ozā€™s sample so you could see for yourself. I think after that you wouldnā€™t ever grow without it. That def was my conclusion /win
Iā€™m getting it...I donā€™t have many problems but that is one I do struggle with. Thanks again! Iā€™ll do a test to see if it works! So do you collect or just like to seek that perfect (for you) buzz? I can see how it could become a hobby šŸ˜‘

B

Burned Haze

Haha Iā€™m def a seed/pheno hoarder , try to do 1-10+ packs every year
And I only keep the 1-2% phenoā€™s after 2-3 rounds of testing Inless itā€™s obvious that it sucks . I can say that growing and genetic/pheno hunting can definitely be my favorite hobby . Even if itā€™s veggies ( I always feel like the baskin robins dude or trying new genetics because I wanna know more about the genetic pool )

I even add rootsheild to my veggies ( when I start em and midway stage veg )

TerriR

TerriR

After some delays, I am back to this project. Got two Orange Budder beans soaking, hoping they germinate. I donā€™t think I will have time to finish them outside so going to hunt for my tent today (thinking it is 3x3). Here is my plan:

BIG Orange Budder (max 2 plants in 3x3 tent)
Black Diamond Perfect Sun 500 (because I already own it)
got a Humboldt Nutrients 2 part basic starter kit with Grow, Bloom, Equilibrium, Honey ES and Myco Madness
Medium: Fox Farm K9
I have good well water that I donā€™t pH at all...seems fine

what else do I need to consider here?I grew indoors once 4 years ago...just seems like a lot of work compared to summer outdoors but craving some pakalolo and I donā€™t think the weather will cooperate for that long šŸ¤™

TIA

TerriR

TerriR

Finally! Got one of the Hawaiian strains to survive germination (so far)...BUT it ainā€™t green. You guys ever had a seedling that was pinkish-purple? It is Rainbow Kush so maybe color is expected...

13570475 02C0 451D 9340 C753A8DE71B4
TerriR

TerriR

The Rainbow Kush (Hawaiian strain) is looking ok...might get this puppy growing after all! and it is green so I guess the purplish pink was a very early feature.

227BD728 F48D 4F78 8706 F60C78483D25
TerriR

TerriR

Rainbow kush is in the veg tent under the perfect sun light...seems to have stopped stretching...wondering if it needs to be closer to the light but afraid to burn it. ~20 inches away now.

F3603C16 B5E0 498D 8F74 4CE87A81B2AC
Top Bottom