Grow Lab Grow Tent

• Thread starter supasticky
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

supasticky

I'm currently on the prowl for a Grow Tent. Not necessarily a Grow Lab, but that is the only one I've seen. It would probably be a 3'11 x 3'11 (basically 4' x 4'). What would be the best light for this setup MH and/or HPS? By the way, what do you think about SunPulse? Also, what other gear would I need? What fans are the best that are still affordable; I like to grow but I can't just throw money around lol. Any advice on nutes? I've grown two times before this, but I'm thinking this will be my first REAL time, even though my first plant was amazing ;( Stewart.

Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated :)

Thanks a lot everyone, keep tokin.

-Supa

H

H3mpseed

The best piece of advice for a grower setting up shop is that if you don't have the dough, you wont get to grow. Without money I would just throw the seeds in my backyard and buy some fertilizer.

But if you did have money, I would reccomend setting up your own tent. Buy the white tarps and supplies yourself as it would be cheaper than a prefabricated tent. Growing equipment is always overpriced.

I know I didn't answer your questions but I'm a DIY kinda guy so maybe you should wait for some more opinions.

~Goodluck

Cali smoke

Cali smoke

For that tent size, I'd use a 600w HPS, ballast, aircooled reflector, and 8" ducting + clamps. You'll also need a fan and timers. For nutes, General Hydroponics, and rezdog's modified version of the lucas formula.

You may also want to consider a fan speed controller, oscillating fan (1 or 2) to move air around inside, and if smells will be a problem, you can get a carbon filter.

Hope this information helps some. :bong2:

R

ReelBusy1

For that tent size, I'd use a 600w HPS, ballast, aircooled reflector, and 8" ducting + clamps. You'll also need a fan and timers. For nutes, General Hydroponics, and rezdog's modified version of the lucas formula.

You may also want to consider a fan speed controller, oscillating fan (1 or 2) to move air around inside, and if smells will be a problem, you can get a carbon filter.

Hope this information helps some. :bong2:

Boom!
Done.

Q

Qman

I have a GL120 (the one you are debating + I have a GL145) but, I am running a 1000k. I had a hole stitched in to make a spot for a window A/C, that I have installed in my house (we rent, I bought 1000's because we are going to buy our own home in about a year, and I am building a room) I can keep the the tent in the low 70's with the light on and 100+ outside (it's finally starting to cool down, 97 today).

I don't have to worry about smell so I just have a 6" fan moving air over the light

Whatever you do; have fun doing it! :icon_spin:

~Q :damnhippie:

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
The GrowLab series are good tents, got a 120 myself and like Qman, I run a 1000 watt bulb. These are quality tents, you will not be disappointed.

jj

S

supasticky

) I can keep the the tent in the low 70's with the light on and 100+ outside (it's finally starting to cool down, 97 today).

I know it's been hella hot!!! I cant even deal with it lol anyway thanks everyone for the info especially Cali Smoke. I actually just got the whole Organicare Line-up, the PURE Grow/Bloom(and the Pure Blend Pro), SeaPlex, CalPlex, Humega, Huvega, and Liquid Karma. I'm excited, but I was thinking about doing Subcool's SuperSoil and some freshly concocted tea recipes, that shit is so fun to mess with I always get different, but always good, results from them. Idk which I'll do, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to get good results using either.

By the way has anyone used the Botanicare Line-up?? How did it go? What nutes stood out?

Thanks again though for the help everyone

-Supa

0MEGA

The GrowLab series are good tents, got a 120 myself and like Qman, I run a 1000 watt bulb. These are quality tents, you will not be disappointed.

jj

i made a mistake by purchasing a tent from htg.
the frame was way to big for the cover. really frustrated i have to take the poles and chop them about 5 inches.
growlab
i would reccomend sun hut or grow lab both have real quality.
HTGs Quality is as low as thier prices.:swear

M

MR.SOG

i'm happy with my sun hut 4x4 that i've been using for the past 1 1/2 years. $100+ cheaper than the growlab model if price is a concern. i haven't test out any other tents so i can't give a comparison.

capegrower

capegrower

Supa
Ive been using pure blend pro grow and bloom for soil for a few years. I add liquid karma to the PBP in both veq and flower... follow the directions to start than adjust to the plant. I use Promix soil if possible or a copy if you cant get Promix. The PBP adjusts PH and its idiot proof... just swap out the soil after a couple of uses or if you start having PH problems. Im sure you can get better results from some fancy hydro kit or super soil mix... I dont think it gets any simpler than this setup...so easy

S

slim

I've seen several returns at the local hydro store of the growlab tents for faulty stitching and bad zippers. 99% of the time they are great. I have 2 DarkRoom tents, and really like them. My buddy prefers the GrowLab, so really it's personal preference.

I was skeptical of the whole tent thing for a long time, saying my construction was better, yada yada. But now I'm just too lazy too rebuild everytime I move. That alone makes the tents worth it for me now.

-Slim

C

calibob

Jardin Darkroom 120's have work well for me. Good zippers, plenty of venting

A

Architect

Friend of mine is raving about the sun huts, he tore up his grow lab with his bare hands and postewd this:

I recently bought the new Sun Huts and they are simply fantastic screw the growlabs and anything else. Quality is unsurpassed and I have seen every tent now in person to date. Those Growlabs are not made of good materials just like their first go at it the Dark Rooms.

The stitching and thickness of the material is awesome quality! Its easily 4-5 times thicker if not more than the growlab/dr150 and metals on this version are also much stronger. I have a DR150 and an old sun hut now, even the old sun hut is better just no windows on that version. I went to the hydro shop and the grow labs were set up and I wasn't pleased at all. I don't think they were much of an improvement as far as materials go over the original dark room, better zippers... I was really hoping they used better materials on the new one, but I think its only marginally better and still doesn't touch the Sun Hut as far as quality on a single piece of materials. I've now scoured both tents in person!

This is my DR150. Wanna know how I took it down? I simply broke all the corners trying to get the top off and then I bent all the garbage (most likely aluminum) poles in half with relative ease and I am no body builder my girl friend could do it...I can't believe those plastic corner pieces were holding all that weight up. The center poll holding the ballast and fan was bent from that weight alone. Also, the back support poll holding up just the Eco-Plus filter was bent. Thank God I did not order the 6 inch Eco-Plus or the thing would've collapsed at the weight (I had the 4 inch). In my opinion this thing was waiting to collapse on its own weight and start a fire.

The poles on the floor were all rusted after a little over 9 months use at the connecting spots. My old Sun Hut did not do any of this.

After I snapped all of the corners I simply ripped with my bear hands the tent apart into smaller pieces and threw it in a trash bag. You couldn't dream of doing that with even the old sun hut of which didn't need new material updates...All it needed was a better design and they accomplished that.

The new growlabs material is barely thicker than dark rooms. I am positive I could rip it open and into smaller pieces just the same. The poles were updated in it with a coat of paint so they don't rust at the connections and like the old version.

The Growlabs are a little sturdier than the old DR version, but barely and they are still weak where the poles connect like the Dark Rooms are. The Sun Hut doesn't sag or move at all. When you push it the things doesn't budge.

If you want proof on how the materials are way stronger and better made all you have to do is look up the weight differences of tents. It's all in the weight guys. There is a reason the Sun Hut weighs a lot more...

The fabric the DR and Grow labs are made with is garbage. Tinfoil thin compared to the Sun Huts. Sun Huts are thick as hell and I had 0 pin holes or scratches in my Sun Hut where as the DR's fabric was so weak and garbage I had to tape the damn thing all over with Gorrilla Glue tape to cover all the light leaks. Look at peoples pics of the DR's almost all of them have them taped up like damn Frankenstein for a reason. You can scratch a hole in one so easy its not funny. I don't even think I could rip apart the the sun hut material if tried.

The zippers don't wear out on the Sun hut and once again are way better Quality than DR's although the new version they call the Grow Lab the zippers are better, but not as good as Sun huts. I've seen this in person there is no denying it.Not to mention the new Sun Huts have windows and all sorts of neat stuff. Easier to vent in them too.

An extremely important difference for us tent growers is height!!!!!!!!!!
The extra height in the Sun Huts is extremely useful compared to the DR's and Growlabs. Good luck growing any real sativas in a DR and getting full effectiveness from your light.

The bottom piece in the DR (The extra ground layer for the floor) is garbage in the DR. They have velcro to keep that in place? Give me a break lol. The Sun Hut has holes in the corners of the extra floor layer so you can zip tie the damn thing so it doesn't move or come undone when you are moving your plants around in the tent.

My DR would not have survived being put up a second time and I didn't even want to use it again with all the tape everywhere. What good are windows when the damn thing leaks light through the zippers?

Last but not least the stitching is far superior on the entire thing. YOU CANNOT RIP THIS THING APART BY HAND. I can not find the new Sun Hut on the internet. I only see people selling the old version probably trying to dump stock or maybe they did not change the advertisement on their websites and just ship you the new one instead of the old one that is pictured. Ask before you order!

Caress of Steel

Caress of Steel

I'd recommend a 1000. I run 1000's in 4x4 homeboxes cooled with 6 in. vortex's. No problems.

Aligee

Aligee

just got a gl 80 for my moms and it's good all around def thicker material than my darkroom just lacks all the access doors which I think is a plus I'm sure these tent designs will only get better with all the competition / demand cause everybody and there mama seems to be growing these days good luck!!!.aliG!

S

sfzoo

I run a Sunhut LG 2x4x6....i like it so far. its my first run in it. plenty vents.

K

Kushtard

I am running two 4x4x6 tents. One is the gro lab and the other is a 120 dollar eBay model. I use a 400 and a 600 set of lumateks. For the 600 I use an eight inch fan and for the 400 I use a 430 cfm six inch fan. Thye both exhaust past an ozone generator and I dont even use the charcoal filters anymore!

I would nto mind haveing a 1000 watter for flower. That is a lot of heat already and I run the air non stop for my house. If I did not work to maz out my air excahbge in the whole room that would be a lot of heat. Count on air conditioning!

The gro lab is light leeking and like all tents a little annoying to put together. I dont know if the amount of leeks is harmful ro not. I keep curtains and blankets draped over both tents. The gro lab is handy to have all those ports that just velcro. Plus it is only like 130. My other tent is a bud box. It has the shittiest of ports lol but they do work. Also it leeks less light than the gro lab. Neve lose your zippers. I just leave the door open on that tent and veg 24/0. I would rather not risk hermies at all. I also clone and veg in the same tetn. It is nice to have some place to work that is spillproof. Always get a bigger tent thatn you neeed. It is very handy.

I wonder about putting a 1000 watter in the tent. That would be a fun challenge. I did a hydro run but soil is what I am up to now.

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
does any1 know how to seal up light leaks around the zipper, i have a jardin but there is a couple small light leaks around the zipper

D

darookie2000

does any1 know how to seal up light leaks around the zipper, i have a jardin but there is a couple small light leaks around the zipper

"They're not leaking in, so it's not a problem" is what was told to me by the owner of my local shop. If you're really concerned, some tape would probably do the trick, but as long as light stays out, I just ignore it.

Top Bottom