Grow Room A/C

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dieseldawg2480

dieseldawg2480

with these inverter mini splits is a 3 ton the largest available? Does the line set have a maximum span from condenser to coil? Running two splits may be my best n safest option.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

I believe that a couple of 2 ton inverter style mini splits will be your most economical (or whatever sizes you need). In residential split systems it will be too expensive for inverter equipment. 2 speed equipment is not the same. You need compressor to be variable speed to be good. The air handler being variable speed really doesn't do low load conditions.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

with these inverter mini splits is a 3 ton the largest available? Does the line set have a maximum span from condenser to coil? Running two splits may be my best n safest option.

In a single zone unit 3 ton is the biggest. Line set max distance is set by the manufacturer of the unit. You have to see their specs for each unit. How far are you talking?

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

thanks! yeah a decade or more back the residential r-22 days. when recovery was just started to get regulated. is when I worked for the fam doing furnace n ac cleanings and installs. I can put it together and take them apart. I know nothing about sizing and the new technology they have today 410a etc.

Sizing a/c units with R410A vs R22 is no different. A ton is a ton. For our grows I use 6000 btus per 1 kw of unvented lighting which is a bit of overkill but that covers anything else in the room. The actual number used by engineers is 3413 btus per kw. This does not cover any additional heat loads or construction of the room.

dieseldawg2480

dieseldawg2480

In a single zone unit 3 ton is the biggest. Line set max distance is set by the manufacturer of the unit. You have to see their specs for each unit. How far are you talking?
I took a look at the specs of the Mitsubishi mr slim and my line set length is well in range. thx

S

Smokeyjojackson

I have a question about cooling the DIY window AC box's I see around quite a bit now.

I built one myself as a supplemental to my mini split.

I am wondering if I should leave the fan exhausting the box I built around the coils (675cfm 8" max fan) on 24/7 or if its ok to just let it cycle on and off with the AC unit?

It is currently being controlled by my Sentinel CHHC-4.

The AC is a 12000BTU window unit I stuck through the wall (rigid insulation).

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

I have a question about cooling the DIY window AC box's I see around quite a bit now.

I built one myself as a supplemental to my mini split.

I am wondering if I should leave the fan exhausting the box I built around the coils (675cfm 8" max fan) on 24/7 or if its ok to just let it cycle on and off with the AC unit?

It is currently being controlled by my Sentinel CHHC-4.

The AC is a 12000BTU window unit I stuck through the wall (rigid insulation).

Cycling is fine.

T

thoughtworks

In a sealed room it may be enough a/c but in your case I think not. I would do minimum of 8000 btu unit
Hey CannabisJohn, curious to know what you think my ac needs would be with a room that is running 8000watts in the evening strictly? The size of the room is as of yet undetermined but I would venture a guess at 500-600 sq ft

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hey CannabisJohn, curious to know what you think my ac needs would be with a room that is running 8000watts in the evening strictly? The size of the room is as of yet undetermined but I would venture a guess at 500-600 sq ft

3-4 tons.

T

thoughtworks

Is there stand alone versions that would fit my needs? I'm considering getting gavita pro 1000 x 8 without air cooled hoods to optimize my lumens.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Something that could handle cooling the room on its own and isnt hanging out of a window

You could do a regular house split system for 4 tons or a ductless mini split if 3 tons is enough. Both have an indoor and outdoor unit that are connected by wire and piping.

dieseldawg2480

dieseldawg2480

@5-6000 btu/9-kw On the low end 45,000 to 54,000 high end btu's total. Whats ur opinion on a 5 ton mobile home (RV) ac being able to handle this size load? Will this style of AC work? thx! D-dawg

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

@5-6000 btu/9-kw On the low end 45,000 to 54,000 high end btu's total. Whats ur opinion on a 5 ton mobile home (RV) ac being able to handle this size load? Will this style of AC work? thx! D-dawg

Should work just fine if installed properly.

ronvmpc

ronvmpc

Hi John. Let me start off by saying I'm a huge fan!

Last night I just sectioned off a garage with an insulated dry wall...wall. I would estimate the room to be 10'x12'. For the summer only gonna run 1 1k gavita on a mover since I live in so cal and temps push in the low 100's. I was thinking since the rooms insulated I can get away with a 12,000 btu window unit. I would estimate the room to be, give or take, 120 sq ft.

Truth be told. Trying to take the cheap way out since I already have the window system.

Edit: actually after reading through the thread a bit I think it's a yes.

Last edited:
CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hi John. Let me start off by saying I'm a huge fan!

Last night I just sectioned off a garage with an insulated dry wall...wall. I would estimate the room to be 10'x12'. For the summer only gonna run 1 1k gavita on a mover since I live in so cal and temps push in the low 100's. I was thinking since the rooms insulated I can get away with a 12,000 btu window unit. I would estimate the room to be, give or take, 120 sq ft.

Truth be told. Trying to take the cheap way out since I already have the window system.

Edit: actually after reading through the thread a bit I think it's a yes.
Thanks for the compliment. That size unit should be enough for at least 2 lights.

Top Bottom