Grow Room A/C

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frostynugman

Frostynugman

I need help on what unit to get. I am looking at either a 12k BTU or 18k BTU. I have a 10' x 10' room with 3200W, all in air cooled Raptor hoods, and All 4 digital ballasts are inside the room as well. I have a 10k window unit that I have running almost 24/7 just to keep the temps in check. When the lights kick on and the 70 pint dehumid is running temps get a little too high, and so does my electric bill....

So with all of that, what size mini split would you recommend? Also will these will act as sort of a dehumidifier as well?
Get the Wynter 14k off amazon that's what I rock and it's a champ

K

krinen

Get the Wynter 14k off amazon that's what I rock and it's a champ

More looking for a mini split. I have tried the portable units in the past and they are no where near efficient enough. Just personal experience no offense.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

I need help on what unit to get. I am looking at either a 12k BTU or 18k BTU. I have a 10' x 10' room with 3200W, all in air cooled Raptor hoods, and All 4 digital ballasts are inside the room as well. I have a 10k window unit that I have running almost 24/7 just to keep the temps in check. When the lights kick on and the 70 pint dehumid is running temps get a little too high, and so does my electric bill....

So with all of that, what size mini split would you recommend? Also will these will act as sort of a dehumidifier as well?

Get 18k Mr Slim.

K

krinen

I went with the 18k :) Thank you. I hope it ends up being better than the window unit I have with the makeshift back plate exhausting out the window lol. Just seems like a fire hazard to me. Not to mention the oscillating heater I use in the winter time that starting making some weird sounds last winter :P

Now with this mini split will I still need to run my separate dehumidifier next summer? Winter is no issue bc RH drops below 25% here

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

I went with the 18k :) Thank you. I hope it ends up being better than the window unit I have with the makeshift back plate exhausting out the window lol. Just seems like a fire hazard to me. Not to mention the oscillating heater I use in the winter time that starting making some weird sounds last winter :p

Now with this mini split will I still need to run my separate dehumidifier next summer? Winter is no issue bc RH drops below 25% here

Should be no problem.

Frostynugman

Frostynugman

If your running a four light room with gavitas what mini would you get? Is it the same rule of thumb?
I recommend more a/c for you if you are not air cooling ur lights. My recommends are 4000 btus/hr for 1kw of air cooled lighting and 6000 btus/hr for not air cooled. Been doing grows for 6 yrs now and commercial HVAC for over 20 yrs. Those numbers have never steered me wrong. They are a bit overkill but better safe than sorry. So you should have a 3 ton if your lights aren't air cooled. Also I answered your PM.

Frostynugman

Frostynugman

I went with the 18k :) Thank you. I hope it ends up being better than the window unit I have with the makeshift back plate exhausting out the window lol. Just seems like a fire hazard to me. Not to mention the oscillating heater I use in the winter time that starting making some weird sounds last winter :p

How much was it with install?

K

krinen

How much was it with install?

I picked it up cheap from a local company 30% off. So I got a 18000 BTU, 13 SEER, with heat pump for $725. I will be doing the install since I have a vacuum pump. Also Lowes is doing wire by the foot at 70% off, so I got 35' of 12/3 rated for underground for $.19/foot. So install will be cheap. Can't really say what a HVAC pro would charge you to blast some holes and evac the line set though.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

I picked it up cheap from a local company 30% off. So I got a 18000 BTU, 13 SEER, with heat pump for $725. I will be doing the install since I have a vacuum pump. Also Lowes is doing wire by the foot at 70% off, so I got 35' of 12/3 rated for underground for $.19/foot. So install will be cheap. Can't really say what a HVAC pro would charge you to blast some holes and evac the line set though.

Do u have a micron gauge? Because without that u have no idea if your vacuum is good and no leaks. What brand unit? Three year warranty doesn't mean anything if it keeps breaking. Also the best unit have 7/5 warranties. 7 for compressor and 5 for the rest of the unit. I'm not trying to be a dick but I'm just saying. If it is important don't skimp on equipment cause when it breaks you're screwed.

Greeneye04

Greeneye04

I always get my mini-splits from minisplitwarehouse.com. They only sell units that the warranty is not voided from internet sales and self installs. Get a 2 ton and whatever is on sale. with fall around the corner its a great time to buy one. The sales should be starting as they dump leftover inventory before winter. They also are fairly easy to install if you just take your time and with a set of guages and vacuum pump can easily be done. refrigerantguys.com sells guages and you can get a cheap vac pump from harbor freight if you don't already have one.

K

krinen

Do u have a micron gauge? Because without that u have no idea if your vacuum is good and no leaks. What brand unit? Three year warranty doesn't mean anything if it keeps breaking. Also the best unit have 7/5 warranties. 7 for compressor and 5 for the rest of the unit. I'm not trying to be a dick but I'm just saying. If it is important don't skimp on equipment cause when it breaks you're screwed.

My buddy has been doing HVAC work for over 30 years. I personally know nothing, well very little when it comes to these units, he will be supplying the vacuum pump and evacuating the system for me. The system is an LG, and the company I got it from supplies the 3 year warranty, so if anything happens within that time the local company will replace on the spot. After that 3 year whatever is remaining from the MFR goes through the MFR

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

My buddy has been doing HVAC work for over 30 years. I personally know nothing, well very little when it comes to these units, he will be supplying the vacuum pump and evacuating the system for me. The system is an LG, and the company I got it from supplies the 3 year warranty, so if anything happens within that time the local company will replace on the spot. After that 3 year whatever is remaining from the MFR goes through the MFR

That is different from what u originally stated. To me it sounded like u were doing the install yourself. LG is a decent unit. Guess u just got a great deal.

K

krinen

That is different from what u originally stated. To me it sounded like u were doing the install yourself. LG is a decent unit. Guess u just got a great deal.

Well I guess I mislead with the by myself part :p I do the electrical work and running all of the lines. He is just doing the evac while I watch impatiently lol.

Yeah they wanted it out the door b/c it is a 13 SEER unit. Making way for all of the more efficient units I guess. Oh well it has to be better than the 10k BTU, 110V HOG I have sticking out of the wall lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom