Grow Room A/C

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sixstring

sixstring

What is the typical power consumption on a 2 or 3 ton mini split?
depends on the model really.10 to 12 amps for a 2 ton and about 14-16 for a 3 ton.but there all dif,if you go look one up chances are high it will give all the stats on the electrical.gl

MSH

MSH

depends on the model really.10 to 12 amps for a 2 ton and about 14-16 for a 3 ton.but there all dif,if you go look one up chances are high it will give all the stats on the electrical.gl

I'm not too familiar with electric, are 10 amps around 2.2 kW?

Tbone

Tbone

John ,
A few pages back you recommended I install 44,400 btu mini split ac for my flower room (17'x11'x9' sealed, non air cooled Gavita 750 lights,co2). Again thanks for the advice.
I have an HVAC guy coming out in a couple weeks to do the install. He is recommending a Conventional split system and ducting in the supply and return something similar to excel air only (Goodman). This is fine with me but I'm wondering about a couple things:
  • He says 3 ton will cool the room with this unit.And it will pressurize the room, but in a mini split we already decided I need closer to 4 ton?Excel Airs chart says a 2.5 ton will do it so I am inclined to think the Goodman 3 ton will . Is there a difference between how well a mini split cools vs conventional?
  • If the unit has a high seer rating will it run on less amps? I need to pay attention to the electric load.Not sure how many amps is required with the unit my installer is planning on installing? I guess I need to get the specs from him.
  • I was thinking of having him include a furnace in the package in case I need heat in the room (in case the dehumidifier wont keep room warm during lights off)(Im in Michigan).
  • He also suggested possibly setting a 3 ton roof top unit on the ground at the outside wall and simply plumb in a supply and return?
A lot of options and I am overwhelmed. I have two separate identical flower rooms to set up independently and want to get it right the 1st time.
Could you please comment on my questions?
Thanks again
Terry

Last edited:
CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hey john hopefully a helpful tip for my mini, I think it may be on its last leg. It's an aura 3 Ton unit and today was the second time I walked into the room to realize it was failing. I've noticed the motör try's to turn on the fan on the condenser but the fan won't spin. Two days ago I gave it a little flick with my finger and it popped right back on. Well today I tried the same thing but it was much harder to spin. I had to chuck it to get it going this time. I tried lubing it so hopefully this helps but if not maybe I can take it apart and grease the inside even better?

No way to do that. Get a new motor.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Thanks for the reply! Should I look for a split unit with a condenser rated down to -20F, if they exist? Or should I opt to go with a duct / air handler system that would work 4 seasons in my climate? Exhausting all that heat from my main shop seems illogical.

A standard unit won't work to -20F either. Don't know that anything works that cold. Don't use wind chill to rate ur unit. Only use dry bulb temperture. Why not use the cold air in winter to cool your rooms?

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

John ,
A few pages back you recommended I install 44,400 btu mini split ac for my flower room (17'x11'x9' sealed, non air cooled Gavita 750 lights,co2). Again thanks for the advice.
I have an HVAC guy coming out in a couple weeks to do the install. He is recommending a Conventional split system and ducting in the supply and return something similar to excel air only (Goodman). This is fine with me but I'm wondering about a couple things:
  • He says 3 ton will cool the room with this unit.And it will pressurize the room, but in a mini split we already decided I need closer to 4 ton?Excel Airs chart says a 2.5 ton will do it so I am inclined to think the Goodman 3 ton will . Is there a difference between how well a mini split cools vs conventional?
  • If the unit has a high seer rating will it run on less amps? I need to pay attention to the electric load.Not sure how many amps is required with the unit my installer is planning on installing? I guess I need to get the specs from him.
  • I was thinking of having him include a furnace in the package in case I need heat in the room (in case the dehumidifier wont keep room warm during lights off)(Im in Michigan).
  • He also suggested possibly setting a 3 ton roof top unit on the ground at the outside wall and simply plumb in a supply and return?
A lot of options and I am overwhelmed. I have two separate identical flower rooms to set up independently and want to get it right the 1st time.
Could you please comment on my questions?
Thanks again
Terry

Don't use a package unit. Smell can escape to outside thru unit. A mini split typically uses less amperage. A mini split can cool with lower outside temps than a convential unit can without any additional controls. I do have a decent safety factor built into my calcs. I want your room cool in the worst of outdoor temps (100 plus). Even though you may not see those temps very often. I would install 2- 2 ton single zone minis in each flower room. If one goes down you can still run lights at 1/2 lights or so until it's fixed.

Tbone

Tbone

Don't use a package unit. Smell can escape to outside thru unit. A mini split typically uses less amperage. A mini split can cool with lower outside temps than a convential unit can without any additional controls. I do have a decent safety factor built into my calcs. I want your room cool in the worst of outdoor temps (100 plus). Even though you may not see those temps very often. I would install 2- 2 ton single zone minis in each flower room. If one goes down you can still run lights at 1/2 lights or so until it's fixed.

Man you don't mess around getting back to us on questions!! Thank you.
I think everything you said makes sense. I am studying Mitsu's , Fujitsu, and LG. Most will heat down to 0 or 5 degrees. I cant find a mitsubishi in hyper heat that it 24000 btus. Im wondering if I even need heat. I wonder if the dehumidifier might put out enough BTUs to keep the room warm when lights are off. And if not I could add a electric space heater. Maybe I should just buy a unit for cooling only? then add a space heater if needed? Does that sound like the right approach. Sorry for all the questions , this is getting confusing, I need to make a decision soon, and you are very helpful.

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

Thanks for the reply! Should I look for a split unit with a condenser rated down to -20F, if they exist? Or should I opt to go with a duct / air handler system that would work 4 seasons in my climate? Exhausting all that heat from my main shop seems illogical.

Why not use thermostats that will control fans exhausting hot air and bringing in cold air as needed? Are you using co2 or something? Just wondering have seen so many people ask about low temperature kits.

mikeross

mikeross

Hello John....

I plan to install a 36k mini split for a 6 light Gavita setup. My only option is to place the condenser in the garage. I know doing this will generate a lot of heat. I was thinking of either running a large inline fan to vent the garage or if possible build a large box to place the condenser unit in and exhaust the box.

Any advise is much appreciated... Regards.

M

mrgrowbigbud

Sucks, there was a ton of great q&a in there. I'll ask the next one.

There was a small side-discussion on using 'boxed-in" window units with active ventilation to avoid heat buildup in a lung space (attic pitfalls included). This is especially an issue when you can't have a condensor running outside. Maybe also applies to split units where hidden mount is necessary, but with higher cost and installation/hassle factor. A baseline cfm per unit btu ratio was also discussed.

Now assuming a sealed room with the AC condensor side isolated and cycling outdoor air (or intake from uninsulated attic space), how will rh of the coolant-air be affected and how can we best avoid moisture buildup and collect condensation if necessary? Can this be mediated somewhat by moving larger volumes of air and insulating the 'box'. Could this air potentially also be variably cycled through living space for heating in a dry region, or will it contain way too much moisture? Relative to square footage of course? Obviously heat would have to be sent outside during summer months.
The ac will be taking the humidity out of airconditiond space as long as the ambient temp wich is the temp of the space the condencer is in nomatter inside or out is lower than the heat being drawn from the room your ac should work fine but if the ambient tem equals out or gets higher than what is coming out of room the ac will stop peforming to its standerds.each 1000 watts = 3500 btu so 1 ton of air is 12,000 btu wich = will cool 3 lights and so on.i collect my condensate in a resivor and use it for feeding because it is pure its probly cleaner tha your r.o. is. And yes you can use the heat to assist the heat of the home.i have my lights taped into the retun air of my house system to help heat my home.as long as you can indure the heat a condenser puts out and it has enough space to disapate the heat from it you can insall it any ware you want.but i put one in a garage for a customer and his garage was 105°when condeser was running.

M

mrgrowbigbud

Hello John....

I plan to install a 36k mini split for a 6 light Gavita setup. My only option is to place the condenser in the garage. I know doing this will generate a lot of heat. I was thinking of either running a large inline fan to vent the garage or if possible build a large box to place the condenser unit in and exhaust the box.

I installed a 14"attic fan in the celling of the garage to take the heat out off garage into the attic to vent out through the attic vents .it worked like a charm took the temp from 105 to about 75-80° boxing the condencer in a box your box would need to be about 1'1/2 to2'bigger all the way around the unit and still might not work efficiently.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Man you don't mess around getting back to us on questions!! Thank you.
I think everything you said makes sense. I am studying Mitsu's , Fujitsu, and LG. Most will heat down to 0 or 5 degrees. I cant find a mitsubishi in hyper heat that it 24000 btus. Im wondering if I even need heat. I wonder if the dehumidifier might put out enough BTUs to keep the room warm when lights are off. And if not I could add a electric space heater. Maybe I should just buy a unit for cooling only? then add a space heater if needed? Does that sound like the right approach. Sorry for all the questions , this is getting confusing, I need to make a decision soon, and you are very helpful.

If you think you'll need heat just buy a heat pump.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hello John....

Don't box it in. Use 2 fans in garage. One to remove heat and one bringing in fresh air. Something along the lines of 1500-2000 cfm on each fan.

fadd805growr

fadd805growr

Hey CannabisJohn! I've got some questions about cooling my room for you. Unfortunately I had to move my crop into a hastily set up box in my garage mid crop so I wasn't able to plan it all out. The room measures 8' x 10' x 8' it's unsealed and has 3 LED lights running in it. It's been a solid 95-99 degrees in there the couple of weeks sadly. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Doc G

Doc G

Hey cj.. And og hope all is well for you guys. I have a minor question if you could please help. And estimate on how much you would charge for installation of 3 mini split ac u its 2 lg 30kbtu single zones... 2 heads 2 condensers.. Those will be close to one another two rooms side by side and one dual zone friedrich 24kbtu. 2 heads one condenser. They didnt come pre charged ( i think) ... A 100amp sub panel install to run these bad boys ... About 50 feet of conduit running from the main panel .. How many hours you think and rough estimate on labor please

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hey CannabisJohn! I've got some questions about cooling my room for you. Unfortunately I had to move my crop into a hastily set up box in my garage mid crop so I wasn't able to plan it all out. The room measures 8' x 10' x 8' it's unsealed and has 3 LED lights running in it. It's been a solid 95-99 degrees in there the couple of weeks sadly. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Get a portable a/c for quick fix. Best fix is a mini split install

Top Bottom