Grow Room A/C

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
fishwhistle

fishwhistle

John do you use any surge protection when you install?And if you use a shorter lineset say 10'-15' are you good to go with the pre charge in the unit or do you have to weigh some out for the shorter lineset?Thanks.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

John do you use any surge protection when you install?And if you use a shorter lineset say 10'-15' are you good to go with the pre charge in the unit or do you have to weigh some out for the shorter lineset?Thanks.

I don't use any surge protection. No u don't have to remove any

Goodolboy

Goodolboy

I want to make my central ac cool my room which is located in my garage which so is also where the blower unit for the ac is. So do I just redirect the return which I'm assuming is the top duct into my garage and then redirect the out put cold air which I assume is the bottom insulated duct into the same room "the garage " ? And then re wire the thermostat into the garage ? Thanks so much for any help as I do not wish to call an hvac guy to my house. Here's a picture of the unit

IMG 20160218 200018444
CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

I want to make my central ac cool my room which is located in my garage which so is also where the blower unit for the ac is. So do I just redirect the return which I'm assuming is the top duct into my garage and then redirect the out put cold air which I assume is the bottom insulated duct into the same room "the garage " ? And then re wire the thermostat into the garage ? Thanks so much for any help as I do not wish to call an hvac guy to my house. Here's a picture of the unit

Are u sure that unit runs? My guess is if you use it for your grow it will die probably quickly. You have to relocate stat to garage and disconnect ducts to the house or you'll freeze them out.

Goodolboy

Goodolboy

Yea I've ran her she's good to go. The unit is in the garage. So that's all I have to do is re route the two ducts and the thermostat and I'm good to go Cannabis John ? Thanks for your help.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Yea I've ran her she's good to go. The unit is in the garage. So that's all I have to do is re route the two ducts and the thermostat and I'm good to go Cannabis John ? Thanks for your help.

I didn't say it wouldn't run. I said it won't run long. Be prepared it will break soon. Plus how is it sized compared to what you need? If it's too big it will turn on and off a lot causing it to fail sooner. If it's too small it won't do the job. It'll tun all the time and still not cool. Get a pro to check it out or better yet put in a unit sized properly for grow.

windshear13

windshear13

Hi John.

I have spent a lot of time redesigning my 47' x 25' flower room and I have come up with the following design:

28 x 1000 watt Gavita DE
4 x Quest 155 Dehumidifiers
2 x 10 burner CO2 units

Will 10 tons of cooling be enough? I am looking at 5 ton conventional split units on NationalAirWarehouse.com. I'm looking at both Rheem and Trane. I have an authorized installer who will do the install work for me.

I would like to take a page out of the Excel Air handbook and have a supply plenum built for the top of the air handlers output that has a round flange which I could use to directly connect 45' of fabric ducting to try and evenly distribute the air throughout the room.

In your opinion will this configuration work? How do you feel about Rheem and Trane, and are there any general recommendations you would have for me in this situation?

I am also in Alaska, and it is typically ranges between 37 and 50 here through the winter, with occasional dips as low as 10. It rains a lot here as well. Will this need to be considered when selecting a unit?

Thank you so much for your help in these matters. We all appreciate it so much.

Last edited:
CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hi John.

I have spent a lot of time redesigning my 47' x 25' flower room and I have come up with the following design:

28 x 1000 watt Gavita DE
4 x Quest 155 Dehumidifiers
2 x 10 burner CO2 units

Will 10 tons of cooling be enough? I am looking at 5 ton conventional split units on NationalAirWarehouse.com. I'm looking at both Rheem and Trane. I have an authorized installer who will do the install work for me.

I would like to take a page out of the Excel Air handbook and have a supply plenum built for the top of the air handlers output that has a round flange which I could use to directly connect 45' of fabric ducting to try and evenly distribute the air throughout the room.

In your opinion will this configuration work? How do you feel about Rheem and Trane, and are there any general recommendations you would have for me in this situation?

I am also in Alaska, and it is typically ranges between 37 and 50 here through the winter, with occasional dips as low as 10. It rains a lot here as well. Will this need to be considered when selecting a unit?

Thank you so much for your help in these matters. We all appreciate it so much.

IMO 10 tons isn't enough. I recommend 14 tons for 28 lights. You'll need to add some type of low temperture operations switch or component for outside unit to produce a/c when temp outside is below manufactures recommendations. It's called low ambient ops. Don't neccesarily need duct work on units. I would hang air handlers from ceiling across narrow width of room evenly spaced apart blowing down length of room (47 foot dimension). The units should be 2-3 ft from wall where air is entering them. The amt of air they move in that relatively small space doesn't really require duct to properly distribute it. Trane is good but pricy. Rheem is ok

windshear13

windshear13

Thanks for the great advice. You recommended York to me before, but my AC guy doesn't service them. Carrier is another option. How do you feel about carrier compared to the other 2?

windshear13

windshear13

Also, would you consider 3 conventional splits as the best way to provide this level of cooling? Or is there a better option when you get into this range?

And you would place the 3 air handlers so they are all blowing the same direction, correct?

Thanks again.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Also, would you consider 3 conventional splits as the best way to provide this level of cooling? Or is there a better option when you get into this range?

And you would place the 3 air handlers so they are all blowing the same direction, correct?

Thanks again.

Do 3 conventional splits. Easy install and multiple units help cause if one breaks done you still have 2 to run ur room at partial lights.
All 3 air handlers blow in same direction.

windshear13

windshear13

Hi John. I have a follow up question regarding our veg area. We will be using 24 X 8 bulb t5's and 5 X 600 watt MH in parabolic reflectors plus a C02 burner. I am leaning towards another 5 ton unit for this area, but I would appreciate your opinion.

Thank you.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hi John. I have a follow up question regarding our veg area. We will be using 24 X 8 bulb t5's and 5 X 600 watt MH in parabolic reflectors plus a C02 burner. I am leaning towards another 5 ton unit for this area, but I would appreciate your opinion.

Thank you.

How many watts are each of the T5 bulbs?

windshear13

windshear13

They are 55 watts each, total of 440 per light. The total wattage of the room is approaching 13,000.

Latest posts

Top Bottom