Grow Room Electrical

• Thread starter hiboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MedicalHydroponics

MedicalHydroponics

#1 zero Guessing
Load calculation! add up your wattage convert to amps ( because that what the breakers are) read factory nameplate specifications to get volts needed amps used.
Go to box stores they have charts/ and professional advice live free questions will get answered. Look online/ if you don’t know an electrician don’t call one if you’re a home grower.
# 2 always turn off main breaker when working on electrical be safe.
#3 have electrical tools and testing equipment needed to do it all up to code.

PooToe

PooToe

I live in an apartment where the breaker trips if we are using what I feel like isn't too much electricity. Things we have running constantly are: 3 computers, a 150 watt led, 2 fans, a 250 watt led in my brothers room, 2 more fans, and a/c in the summer. If we use the microwave while all that stuff is running the breaker will trip. I want to throw another 150 watter in my 4x2 tent. Is there anything I can do or buy to prevent the breaker from getting overloaded without having to sacrifice the a/c?

Sincerely,
Dodimonkey
Before anything you need to understand what you are dealing with and what you have to work with. Check the main breaker in your box to see what the max amperage you can draw is. In most single family residences in the U.S. a 200amp service is normal. In an apartment you probably have around 100amp service. This service will be broken down into circuits. In your case I'm guessing you have mostly 15 amp breakers with maybe a 20 or 30 amp for your micro and another 20 or 30 for the fridge. That's already 40 to 60 amps of power being used. You only have 40 to 60 amps of available power for everything else.

Add up all the amps that are being drawn through all the electrical stuff you have going. Your biggest draw will be your microwave, your fridge and your A/C. For example, your 150w LED lights are probably drawing around 1 amp each. Your bros 250w light is drawing around 2 amps. Once you have a number you'll know what you can run and how much room you have to run more stuff.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Conversion to amps is unnecessary:
  • A 15-amp circuit is equal to 1,800 watts at 120 volts.
  • A 20-amp circuit is equal to 2,400 watts at 120 volts.
I don't advise running a circuit at capacity. 80% of capacity is a useful rule.

It's a good idea to turn off the main breaker. It's also a good idea to check for voltage where you're working, even if you're sure you turned off the breaker. I don't advise opening the service panel in an apartment (and rarely in a home). It's also not advisable to open junction boxes in an apartment.

Some basic wiring tools can be helpful. I frequently use a wattage meter so I can know how much current my devices are using, especially those that use a lot of power.

One of the first things I did when we moved to our new (to us) home was to map out all the circuits. There's supposed to be a map in the panel, but the one that was in there was horrible. Mapping circuits is easy. Just throw a breaker and see what devices, lights or outlets lost power, then draw a map and make notes. Old work can be messy.

Newty

Newty

Do you only have 1 breaker that runs the whole apartment? Everything is on 1 circuit?

I would want the A/C on a circuit by itself at least.

D

dodimonkey

Do you only have 1 breaker that runs the whole apartment? Everything is on 1 circuit?

I would want the A/C on a circuit by itself at least.
Yes I spread some stuff out my computer is running a cord from the bathroom and my tent/lights are from the only power source in my room.

D

dodimonkey

Conversion to amps is unnecessary:
  • A 15-amp circuit is equal to 1,800 watts at 120 volts.
  • A 20-amp circuit is equal to 2,400 watts at 120 volts.
I don't advise running a circuit at capacity. 80% of capacity is a useful rule.

It's a good idea to turn off the main breaker. It's also a good idea to check for voltage where you're working, even if you're sure you turned off the breaker. I don't advise opening the service panel in an apartment (and rarely in a home). It's also not advisable to open junction boxes in an apartment.

Some basic wiring tools can be helpful. I frequently use a wattage meter so I can know how much current my devices are using, especially those that use a lot of power.

One of the first things I did when we moved to our new (to us) home was to map out all the circuits. There's supposed to be a map in the panel, but the one that was in there was horrible. Mapping circuits is easy. Just throw a breaker and see what devices, lights or outlets lost power, then draw a map and make notes. Old work can be messy.
Thanks for the advice.

D

dodimonkey

Before anything you need to understand what you are dealing with and what you have to work with. Check the main breaker in your box to see what the max amperage you can draw is. In most single family residences in the U.S. a 200amp service is normal. In an apartment you probably have around 100amp service. This service will be broken down into circuits. In your case I'm guessing you have mostly 15 amp breakers with maybe a 20 or 30 amp for your micro and another 20 or 30 for the fridge. That's already 40 to 60 amps of power being used. You only have 40 to 60 amps of available power for everything else.

Add up all the amps that are being drawn through all the electrical stuff you have going. Your biggest draw will be your microwave, your fridge and your A/C. For example, your 150w LED lights are probably drawing around 1 amp each. Your bros 250w light is drawing around 2 amps. Once you have a number you'll know what you can run and how much room you have to run more stuff.
Thanks for the advice I got some stuff spread out now and hopefully it will work out. Unrelated question, I just transplanted some clones in rockwool to soil pots and sprayed them with azamax and lightly watered with ph'd water, but now they are wilting. Is this normal? What can I do to help them perk back up?

Top Bottom