Grow Room Electrical

• Thread starter hiboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
Ok that makes sense, there is no dry wall down there so it might be pretty easy to find I hope, also I know exactly where I plugged the heater in so I will start with that outlet. Will report back tonight.
Also check and make sure the receptacles are wired correct (gold screw is common and silver screw is neutral). All it takes is 1 switched and you'll have problems.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Also check and make sure the receptacles are wired correct (gold screw is common and silver screw is neutral). All it takes is 1 switched and you'll have problems.
Hmm I will definitely check that because at one point some where wire for 220 with 110 outlets

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Ok that makes sense, there is no dry wall down there so it might be pretty easy to find I hope, also I know exactly where I plugged the heater in so I will start with that outlet. Will report back tonight.
You might pick up one of these to check your outlets quick and easy,5 bucks at home Depot.

hiboy

hiboy

Make sure you turn your circuit off working live with a dropped neutral you can fry any equipment plugged in. And look at the outlets sometimes electricians just stab the wire in the back and not even wrap the screw that is the connection of the circuit very bad
Hb

Olyver

Olyver

Hiboy, glad you pointed out how most electricians are lazy and use the quick wire insert on receptacles and switches, wrap the wire around the screw, takes an extra couple seconds.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Make sure you turn your circuit off working live with a dropped neutral you can fry any equipment plugged in. And look at the outlets sometimes electricians just stab the wire in the back and not even wrap the screw that is the connection of the circuit very bad
Hb
Exactly what he did this was after I started taking hot wire out so it was pushed in. I had condensation dripping onto this outlet because there's a basement rxit fan right next to the door and the hot and cold air are mixing. Replacing receptacle today

hiboy

hiboy

Definitely wrap the wire around the screws. You can even install a 20 amp plug not your common 15 amp plug the difference is the front of the plug has a horizontal slot connected to the vertical slot
Hb

hiboy

hiboy

Hiboy, glad you pointed out how most electricians are lazy and use the quick wire insert on receptacles and switches, wrap the wire around the screw, takes an extra couple seconds.
Thanks oly... I also don't like it when they don't pigtail because then the load is carried through the receptacle and that's a big no no
Hb
Receptacles now actually are made to where you can't stab a 12 wire in them only 14. But I know a lot of electricians will pigtail down to 14 gauge and then stab that which I don't like I believe the code if I remember right is you have to wrap

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Definitely wrap the wire around the screws. You can even install a 20 amp plug not your common 15 amp plug the difference is the front of the plug has a horizontal slot connected to the vertical slot
Hb
Thank you for your time hiboy! Today I will get the receptical hooked back up and I will report back. Yesturday I had no time.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Hiboy do you have to use a GFCI?I fired up a new 8 bulb t5 and every time i turned it on it popped the ground fault,took the light apart and everythings good.My buddy said he had the same thing happen and the manufacturer told him the ballast and gfci were not compatible?So he replaced it with a standard plug and it worked perfect so i did the same thing tonight and my lights working perfect,What gives?And is what i did dangerous?lol.
Fuck i dont even think we had GFCIs when i was a kid But i dont wanna fry anything either.Have you heard of this before?I even tried another brand new GFCI plug before i did it and it popped every time too.Its on a 15amp breaker.

hiboy

hiboy

Hiboy do you have to use a GFCI?I fired up a new 8 bulb t5 and every time i turned it on it popped the ground fault,took the light apart and everythings good.My buddy said he had the same thing happen and the manufacturer told him the ballast and gfci were not compatible?So he replaced it with a standard plug and it worked perfect so i did the same thing tonight and my lights working perfect,What gives?And is what i did dangerous?lol.
Fuck i dont even think we had GFCIs when i was a kid But i dont wanna fry anything either.Have you heard of this before?I even tried another brand new GFCI plug before i did it and it popped every time too.Its on a 15amp breaker.
Holy crap a question.....let me read this and see what u got
Hb

hiboy

hiboy

Never had a light pop a Gfi b4. Could be faulty light .... Gfi only needed outdoor or kitchens and bathrooms per NEC
HB

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I thought the same so i opened the light and looked for short etc and it looked ok,i just checked it and its running fine without the gfci.Its in my veg room so i guess im good,wont be any inspectors in there,lol.With the GFCI it would light but then trip a few seconds to a minute later.

hiboy

hiboy

I thought the same so i opened the light and looked for short etc and it looked ok,i just checked it and its running fine without the gfci.Its in my veg room so i guess im good,wont be any inspectors in there,lol.With the GFCI it would light but then trip a few seconds to a minute later.
Gfi outlets detect any continuity between all 3 wires and will trip if detected. You should have no issues on a regular outlet.
Hb

N

ninjagaiden

Thanks for the thread!

Is this safe? 120v wall outlet -> timer -> surge protector -> 2x 400w ballasts? The outlet is on its own 20amp breaker. I plan to use the lamps for a mother/veg station and don't plan to keep lights on 24hrs hence the timer. Thanks!

hiboy

hiboy

Thanks for the thread!

Is this safe? 120v wall outlet -> timer -> surge protector -> 2x 400w ballasts? The outlet is on its own 20amp breaker. I plan to use the lamps for a mother/veg station and don't plan to keep lights on 24hrs hence the timer. Thanks!
Yes you are way under the maximum allowed on that outlet the only surge protector I would use in the USA is a Belkin it is all metal
Hb

Top Bottom